Beginners and Beyond

Chicago marathon registration opens 2/19 at 12pm CST (Read 367 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The popular mega-races long ago exceeded what I'm willing to pay and the size exceeded what I'm willing to cope with long before that. The only one I would even consider now due to those two factors is Boston.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

baxdaddy

just another runner

I gotta decide between Chicago and USAF.  USAF opens in January and sells out pretty fast too, but not THAT fast.

The first step is to get up off the couch!

Half Fanatic #889

Trail Dog

The relatively quiet Chicago user group is here.

There is a more active group here:

runmomto3boys

Year Closed Capacity
          2004 August 16 40,000
          2005 July 15 40,000
          2006 May 26 40,000
          2007 April 18 45,000
          2008 April 23 45,000
          2009 April 23 45,000
          2010 March 23 45,000
          2011 March 3 45,000
          2012 February 6 45,000

In past years, registration opened on 2/1, so last year closed in 5 days.

The relatively quiet Chicago user group is here.

Wow!  5 days - that is crazy fast!  I can't imagine how quickly it will fill this year.

tinman11

The popular mega-races long ago exceeded what I'm willing to pay and the size exceeded what I'm willing to cope with long before that. The only one I would even consider now due to those two factors is Boston.

I found the following events scheduled in our area during the first quarter of 2013:

12 k ($6.00 no shirt)

7 miles ($6.00 no shirt)

1/2 mar ($6.00 no shirt)

15 k ($6.00 no shirt)

Marathon ($30.00 no shirt)(certified & BQ'r)

5 k ($10.00 includes shirt)

They do have shirts available and I usually decide to buy or not after I've seen the shirt.  Usually around $10-$15 for the shirt. 

So I could run all of these six of these for a total of $64.00.

Runshortii

Yeah when I saw the price my jaw dropped. My friend did it last year for her first and loved it and I'm planning on doing it next year with her. I love Chicago and I think it'll be fun for my first marathon ( I don't mind the larger crowds ). I'm only an hour and a half outside the city and I'll be staying with friends so ill save some money that way.
              happylily

I agree that it's expensive, but like someone said before, if you are travelling for the event, the cost of the race really is nothing compared to the other expenses. I mean, whether you pay $100 or $175, the $75 extra isn't going to break the bank. It's the hotel, food, transportation, etc... that eats you alive. But, if I had the choice between my hometown marathon at $175 and a marathon one hour away, in a small town, with 120 participants, for $70, I'd definitely pick the smaller race. Just because they are more fun for me, not because of the price. The price for closing streets in Chicago is much higher than closing streets in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia (population: 9562 people), I'm pretty sure.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

I'd love to run Chicago some day and it is on my bucket list.  Looks like 2013 will be the Hartford Marathon again though.  I'm only doing one and my heart just can't pass on the local marathon. 

<3

Docket_Rocket

I agree that it's expensive, but like someone said before, if you are travelling for the event, the cost of the race really is nothing compared to the other expenses. I mean, whether you pay $100 or $175, the $75 extra isn't going to break the bank. It's the hotel, food, transportation, etc... that eats you alive. But, if I had the choice between my hometown marathon at $175 and a marathon one hour away, in a small town, with 120 participants, for $70, I'd definitely pick the smaller race. Just because they are more fun for me, not because of the price. The price for closing streets in Chicago is much higher than closing streets in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia (population: 9562 people), I'm pretty sure.

I agree.  Plus it's not so high as compared to the races down here, so it's not that big of a stretch if you live in a big city.  I understand that the price might be high if you're used to races being cheap but it's not that high when your races already cost a bundle.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I'll be back for my 6th consecutive Chicago.  It is my favorite marathon.  Registration has always been on Feb 1.  Wonder why they changed it.

Hey RoxieRuns/Amanda(used to be)InAtlanta.  How do you like the frigid north?  Have you acclimated yet?

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

I am wondering what the price point is at which people say, "it's not worth it."  Given that the race fee is one of the smaller expenses for folks traveling to races, I'd think it's quite high.

$175 a bit much. I'd like to run Chicago but a big expense for me when traveling from PA to get there. Still not as bad as NYCM at $285 so i guess it's a bargin at $175.Smile I ran Harrisburg for $60 this fall and slept in my own bed.Smile

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Well I will still be there running for my favorite local charity, Opportunity Enterprises, (OE).  $75 donation to them from me and then fund raise a minimum of $300 is what will be required of me. 

Last year the registration was $149 for a US citizen so it seems the race registration is going up about $25 a year.

Registration has always been on Feb 1.  Wonder why they changed it.

My guess is to avoid overlapping registration between the Shamrock Shuffle and the Marathon, since both are run by the same staff.  They moved the registration date for the Shuffle about two weeks earlier, and moved the Marathon registration date about two weeks later.  Both are huge races, and it was probably a hassle to deal with two simultaneous registrations.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

paulski66

miscreant

Worth every penny...

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

I ran it in 1999 and paid something like $80 or so, which was the going price for most big races.  Hotel, food, plane, etc. was about a 600-700 weekend.  I now prefer the smaller, local races, although the big races are a blast.