Beginners and Beyond

Took a leap of faith, but now I'm worried. Advice? (Read 449 times)

I wasn’t going to talk about this publicly, because I fear getting a lot of criticism, but I’m actually in need of some advice.

After DH and I decided that the Disney Marathon wasn’t going to happen because of the financial burden it would put on us, I went looking for some replacement races. I’m signed up for the Manhattan Half Marathon (1/27) a 5k in March, and, in a moment of what I can only explain as temporary insanity, I am signed up for the Central Park Marathon which is tentatively scheduled for February 24.

The date is subject to change (but the NYCRuns people have said they will have a definitive date by mid-December). Assuming this is the date, I have 12 weeks left. I was already in the midst of a marathon training program, and despite taking six days off to take care of some personal things this week, I’ve done some excellent training in the past two months, including two weeks over 50 miles and another three weeks over 40 miles.

OK, now I’m getting to the issue I need advice over. Assuming the date is real, the time limit for this race is 5:15. (I didn’t know this when I signed up, as there’s nothing on the website about it.)

My PR is 5:50, off a very bad cycle of training where I peaked at 40 miles, but ran an average of 24 miles over the 18 weeks prior. (At the moment I’m averaging 36ish over the past 15 weeks). My long runs are in the range of 11:45-12:05 (done on flat surfaces mostly), and my pace runs, which are always done in Central Park, are between 10:25-11:00.

My realistic goal for Disney was going to be 5:10-5:20. With a 5:15 cutoff, this is no longer an option.

So, if you were me, what would you do?  

onemile

If I remember correctly, you've run HMs around 2:08-2:10.  I'm pretty sure you can run a 4:45 marathon.  Or faster.  Just do it.  Smile

If I remember correctly, you've run HMs around 2:08-2:10.  I'm pretty sure you can run a 4:45 marathon.  Or faster.  Just do it.  Smile

My PR is 2:10, but my current fitness is 2:15.

onemile

My PR is 2:10, but my current fitness is 2:15.

Ok, well still.  Double plus 20 minutes is reasonable (4:50).  Double plus 30 is super conservative (5:00). You've been running decent mileage this time around. Believe in yourself and do it.

CClay

Better than all of you

My advice is to run a bit faster than last time.

xor

>> My realistic goal for Disney was going to be 5:10-5:20. With a 5:15 cutoff, this is no longer an option.

I don't understand. Wouldn't this mean that you are the back of the pack with a reasonable chance of hitting the cutoff or being so close to it that they won't mind whatsoever at all?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm assuming that will be the old 4 lap course or something similar. Do you know how NYRR is handling the cutoff time, i.e. not allowed to start the last lap after a certain time or close down the finish line after 5:15. Is the 5:15 from the gun or when the last runner crosses the starting mat? It looks like it could be touch and go for you time wise. With no interuptions in training I think it's worth a try.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

>> My realistic goal for Disney was going to be 5:10-5:20. With a 5:15 cutoff, this is no longer an option.

I don't understand. Wouldn't this mean that you are the back of the pack with a reasonable chance of hitting the cutoff or being so close to it that they won't mind whatsoever at all?

I guess it depends on how strict they are going to be about the 5:15.

I'm assuming that will be the old 4 lap course or something similar. Do you know how NYRR is handling the cutoff time, i.e. not allowed to start the last lap after a certain time or close down the finish line after 5:15. Is the 5:15 from the gun or when the last runner crosses the starting mat? It looks like it could be touch and go for you time wise. With no interuptions in training I think it's worth a try.

It's 5 laps of the lower loop (no Harlem Hills.) It's not an NYRR race, so I have no idea how it's being handled. I will send a message to the RD.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Isn't Central Park a lot hillier than Disney? enough that it could be the difference?

Disregard since the Harlem Hills aren't on the course.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

xor

It isn't disney.  My guess is that for a 5:20 person, they are going to let you finish.  They may or may not give you an official time.  I can't imagine they will sweep you.

You should send them email and ask.

Isn't Central Park a lot hillier than Disney? enough that it could be the difference?

Yup, but it is the park I train in.

xor

Yes it is.  Rolling hills, not mountains.  Depending on where amy trains though, it actually might be more like her training runs.  For me, I'd be more likely to PR central park than disney.

Anyway.

Village people

Go for it!

Docket_Rocket

You'll be fine, plus the time limit is from the last one that crossed the mat.  You can run it and finish in time.  Sub 5 is a possibility.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page