Beginners and Beyond

Took a leap of faith, but now I'm worried. Advice? (Read 449 times)

I’m signed up for the Manhattan Half Marathon (1/27) a 5k in March, and, in a moment of what I can only explain as temporary insanity, I am signed up for the Central Park Marathon which is tentatively scheduled for February 24.

The date is subject to change (but the NYCRuns people have said they will have a definitive date by mid-December). Assuming this is the date, I have 12 weeks left. I was already in the midst of a marathon training program, and despite taking six days off to take care of some personal things this week, I’ve done some excellent training in the past two months, including two weeks over 50 miles and another three weeks over 40 miles. [...]

So, if you were me, what would you do?  

I would try to maintain my mileage in the 40mpw range, and put in a race effort at the half. Then use that race time to set a realistic goal marathon time. You've already signed up for both races. Just train and do the best you can. FWIW, I think you can beat the cutoff.

Chairman

I wasn’t going to talk about this publicly, because I fear getting a lot of criticism, but I’m actually in need of some advice.

After DH and I decided that the Disney Marathon wasn’t going to happen because of the financial burden it would put on us, I went looking for some replacement races. I’m signed up for the Manhattan Half Marathon (1/27) a 5k in March, and, in a moment of what I can only explain as temporary insanity, I am signed up for the Central Park Marathon which is tentatively scheduled for February 24.

The date is subject to change (but the NYCRuns people have said they will have a definitive date by mid-December). Assuming this is the date, I have 12 weeks left. I was already in the midst of a marathon training program, and despite taking six days off to take care of some personal things this week, I’ve done some excellent training in the past two months, including two weeks over 50 miles and another three weeks over 40 miles.

OK, now I’m getting to the issue I need advice over. Assuming the date is real, the time limit for this race is 5:15. (I didn’t know this when I signed up, as there’s nothing on the website about it.)

My PR is 5:50, off a very bad cycle of training where I peaked at 40 miles, but ran an average of 24 miles over the 18 weeks prior. (At the moment I’m averaging 36ish over the past 15 weeks). My long runs are in the range of 11:45-12:05 (done on flat surfaces mostly), and my pace runs, which are always done in Central Park, are between 10:25-11:00.

My realistic goal for Disney was going to be 5:10-5:20. With a 5:15 cutoff, this is no longer an option.

So, if you were me, what would you do?  

The worst thing that can happen is that you crash and burn. Since the race is fairly inexpensive and close to home, i don't see that as something to be terribly concerned about. 

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

I just heard from the RD and he said the time limit will be off of chip time, not gun time, and that as long as he knows people are out there, the last thing that will be taken down is the finish line, so I’m pretty encouraged.

The Half on 1/27 is on basically the same course, but harder and hillier. If weather conditions permit, I’m going to attempt at least a course PR (sub-2:14) and assume that’ll do for a 5:15 or less.

Love the Half

Take a look at previous years race results.  Are there any finishers listed with a time of slower than 5:15?  I have seen more than a few races with official times slower than the announced cutoff.  Some races are anal about it and some are a bit flexible.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Take a look at previous years race results.  Are there any finishers listed with a time of slower than 5:15?  I have seen more than a few races with official times slower than the announced cutoff.  Some races are anal about it and some are a bit flexible.

This is an inaugural race.

The RD has been very responsive to my many questions, so I have a good idea of how I have to train. I think my long runs are going to be exclusively on this 5 mile loop from now on, going the same direction as the race.

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

This is an inaugural race.

The RD has been very responsive to my many questions, so I have a good idea of how I have to train. I think my long runs are going to be exclusively on this 5 mile loop from now on, going the same direction as the race.

Even after the reading the first post I was going to say "go for it", it's close to home/where you train/you're already registered.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Do it!  I have confidence that you can finish way faster than 5:15.  Our HM times are very similar.

Running is dumb.

Buelligan

I have nothing to offer, but a friend of mine who was entered in the canceled NYC Marathon flew down the day before the race and ran in the Soldiers Marathon in Columbus, Georgia which honored all NYC entries.   She finally got a sub-5 marathon with just about everything going against her.  No rest, no acclimating to the totally different altitude and hotter and more humid weather and she still PR'd.  She came through it with no injuries and was walking around fine the next day when we had drinks at a my favorite pub.  She was still glowing about her performance.

Sometimes adversity can really make you step up your game. 

Hope this helps.

meaghansketch

My own data from when I ran a 4:56:  My long and easy runs were about a 12:00-12:30 pace, and my HM PR was a (very recent) 2:15.  Granted, it's not going to be an easy course, but your endurance is substantially better than it was when you ran the 5:50.  I think you can do this. 

A 5:00 marathon is around an 11:20 pace.  That's not far from your long run pace now.  You're already signed up; you can reevaluate at the halfway point (or at the 18 mile mark, or whatever point you think is appropriate) if it's really clear that you're not going to make the cutoff or if you're not sure it's worth it to get to 25 miles if you may not get an official time, but-- again-- I think you have a good chance. 

(also, it's pretty far in advance and anything can happen, but let me know if you're looking for someone to pace a section with you.)

Thanks, that's great data. I think I'll have a better idea after the Manhattan Half, too.

slowrunningjulie

A 5:00 marathon is around an 11:20 pace.  That's not far from your long run pace now.  You're already signed up; you can reevaluate at the halfway point (or at the 18 mile mark, or whatever point you think is appropriate) if it's really clear that you're not going to make the cutoff or if you're not sure it's worth it to get to 25 miles if you may not get an official time, but-- again-- I think you have a good chance. 

+1. Keep up your training and re-evaluate as you go.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

[...] but let me know if you're looking for someone to pace a section with you.)

I would be more than happy to also pace a section with you...in addition to or with meaghan and anybody else...sort of a rolling/running FE!

Think of it as a practice run for 3 Days at the Fair (you're still planning on that, right?)

Edited to add: Having typed that, I'm assuming pacing from a non-registered runner would be allowed. If that is against the rules, then I guess I can only promise to cheering support (if CP is open to the public, maybe coincidentally moving at the same or goal speed as you in an adjacent lane).

Overcoming sarcoidosis one step at a time...

I would be more than happy to also pace a section with you...in addition to or with meghan and anybody else...sort of a rolling/running FE!

Think of it as a practice run for 3 Days at the Fair (you're still planning on that, right?)

Edited to add: Having typed that, I'm assuming pacing from a non-registered runner would be allowed. If that is against the rules, then I guess I can only promise to cheering support (if CP is open to the public, maybe coincidentally moving at the same or goal speed as you in an adjacent lane).

Definitely still on for the fair. I assume the park will be open. I appreciate the offers, and may take you guys up on them if I'm not feeling too great.

CrisRuns

If you can try and adopt the "I will run it and see how it goes" approach and not obsess about it, that might help enjoying it. Why not go with the flow?

aponi

never runs the tangents

go for it

What's the absolute worse thing that could happen? You could not hit the cut off time and get yanked off the course. That would suck but it's not like you get sacrificed to the Mayan gods to ensure a good harvest or anything.

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who