Beginners and Beyond

Trudging Through Thurday Penguins (Read 21 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"The battles that count aren't the ones for gold medals. The struggles within yourself - the invisible, inevitable battles inside all of us - that's where it's at."

--Jesse Owens

PADRunner

Morning Penguins! It's almost Friday.

Struggled through 5 this morning on dead legs. I swapped My RD with yesterday after Tuesdays hard workout, but I guess it wasn't enough. The 70 DP and 82 humidity didn't help much either.

tracilynn

Pad, you've got 5 in the books even though it was a struggle. It's over now!

From what I've read, any pain in the arch is PF but the spurs are what causes heel pain. Guess I don't have that (yet) I recently started running my shorter easy runs in my Kinvaras(with nothing)  instead of Hokas (with super feet) and I think I aggravated my arch. I have high arches. Been rolling on an ice bottle. My arch doesn't hurt upon waking though like most PFers complain of though, just hurts when I run.

Anyway, no running for me. Leaving for smoky mtns in the morning gonna do some hiking.   Maybe this week off will fix this arch PF THING.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

Traci- Have a good week!  I found that I can't run full-time in my Kinvaras, although I love them so.  I wear them for 1-2 runs a week and do great, otherwise I have a shoe with more cushion and a higher heel-toe drop.  I was able to wear them in my marathon with no issues.

I woke up with "Wrecking Ball" in my head, and realized it's a good theme song for my marathon:

I came in like a wrecking ball
          I never hit so hard in love
          All I wanted was to break your walls
          All you ever did was wreck me

I came in like a wrecking ball
          Yeah, I just closed my eyes and swung
          Left me crashing in a blazing fall
          All you ever did was wreck me
          Yeah, you, you wreck me

SRD#4 Smile  I'm still not even really walking or anything, just stretching and rolling.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hiya, Penguins!!  No trudging for me today, as I've got a fair bit going on at work and then it's chorus rehearsal tonight.  Woo-hoo!!  And we all made it out for a walk this morning, so that's a good thing too.

PAD -- sorry your legs are dead and the weather isn't cooperating!!  It was 48 when we finished our walk this morning ...

traci -- Hope the rest fixes your arch!!

Zelanie -- laughing at the Wrecking Ball appropriateness!!

Here's a little Minion happiness to start off your day:

Linky

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

tracilynn

So I basically have 2 brand new kinvaras I cant run in. I guess I will just wear them for non running stuff.

LOL at the wrecking ball song

zel, are you going it a redo? Or is it too soon to ask?

~~~~~~~

Traci

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Traci: Just stick with what works; the Hokas or whatever. Have a fun trip and let's see some good hiking pictures.

Zel: Good job on the rest days. They are well deserved.

More easy miles for me tonight. No taxi service to swim practice as DD is still in SF for two more days.

GinnyinPA

PAD - sorry the heat got to you this morning.  Our high is supposed to be about 60. Good job though in persevering.

Tracilynn - have fun in the Smokies.  There are some nice hikes there.  Maybe just wear your kinvaras for speedwork days?

Z - appropriate song.  Next time will be better. Enjoy your well-earned rest.

Jack - enjoy your run this afternoon.  How are the legs/hip?

Hopesmom - good job getting in an early walk.  I'm sure Dusty appreciates those early outings.  Have fun at rehearsal.

D- when do you head to Chicago?

AFM:  it was supposed to be a running day, but DH wants to go for a hike while the sun is still shining.  Rain is forecast for tomorrow, so we're off to the AT after lunch.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Rest day for me.  I'd planned to do a short run (like 2 miles) with my husband this morning but he slept in too late and is Mr. Grumpy if I wake him up.  Resting until my HM on Sunday.  I think at this point with my running my goals for this race are:

A: Don't PW (this is a huge stretch goal at the moment)

B: Beat the McMillan prediction based off of the Bronx 10

C: Finish before they turn off the timing mats!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Thursday :-)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have an SRD so a massage this morning and Pilates this afternoon.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Rest day for me.  I'd planned to do a short run (like 2 miles) with my husband this morning but he slept in too late and is Mr. Grumpy if I wake him up.  Resting until my HM on Sunday.  I think at this point with my running my goals for this race are:

A: Don't PW (this is a huge stretch goal at the moment)

B: Beat the McMillan prediction based off of the Bronx 10

C: Finish before they turn off the timing mats!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Thursday :-)

Good luck!

Damaris

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Ginny: Things are ok. I just have to accept the fact that I am not getting any younger. The thing that bothers me is that it happened so fast. Less than a year ago I ran a BQ and now.... bleh.  I just have to keep stretching and all that.

Singer who runs a smidge

Oy, when I turned 40, it was like I fell off a cliff!!  I was fine, I turned 40, and BAM, everything started to hurt! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

I trudged through 4 miles this morning.  I went out for 5, but my right hamstring felt funny so I decided better to be safe than sorry.  Half marathon on Sunday.

Traci, I hope you have a fantastic trip and some great hiking!

PAD, nice trudging this morning. Smile

Hopesmom & Ginny:  walking and hiking are good, too!  Hope you enjoyed.

Zel - 4 days off in a row; isn't that excessive? Wink

Damaris and sapf, enjoy your rest day.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Gym day for me, but DW will be waiting for me.

Zel, here's a new challenge for you.  You too, Docket 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11125322/Young-womans-incredible-achievement-of-53-marathons-in-53-days.html