Beginners and Beyond

Not a Boston RR (Read 89 times)

No more marathons

Notes and observations about my first (and likely only) Boston marathon.

First - WOW!!!!!

Next in random order:

I learned that it is possible for a woman to use a ziplock bag to relieve herself on a moving bus.

Running a major roadrace with no set time goal is so much less stressful.  You don't fret about what time you get to the bus, how long the portapotty lines are, whether you make it to you proper place in your wave or if you make it there in time.

The girls at Wellesley college are everything claimed and more.  They were a great inspiration, and yes I stopped several times, as did DS.

The students at Boston College were supportive of other ACC teams - when DS with his NC state singlet when by the roars of wolf pack were loud - GO ACC

The crowds were unbelievable.  They made you feel welcomed along all 26.2 miles of the course.

Even a bud lite tastes great at 18 miles (thanks random spectator).

Popsicles are wonderful at 22 miles.

Did I mention that the spectators were simply fantastic?  I must have slapped at least 1,000 palms.  The lady at 24 almost spun me around with the force.  Loved it all.

Finishing my first Boston with my sons hand clasped in mine as we passed the finish line was almost to much emotion to hold.

All in all, a great experience.  I'm glad I made it there.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Finishing my first Boston with my sons hand clasped in mine as we passed the finish line was almost to much emotion to hold.

I think something just got in my eye.

Congrats on the tremendous Boston experience.

Dave

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Even though it's not a RR, this was great. Peeing in a bag, coeds at Wellesly, beer, the finish... Outstanding! Please put up a finish line picture when you get it! Pretty please?

No more marathons

Even though it's not a RR, this was great. Peeing in a bag, coeds at Wellesly, beer, the finish... Outstanding! Please put up a finish line picture when you get it! Pretty please?

I will - and maybe my Wellesley shot too.  

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Nice non-RR

I honestly think that's EXACTLY how I'd run Boston......if I ever ran Boston.  You could run fast at any point in the race if you wanted, slow to a crawl if you wanted.  Stop & fondle coeds if you wanted.....

I can't watch that race again tonight.  I'll be out running at midnight again  I've got to get some sleep.

Congrats!!!

Randy

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks for sharing!

A plastic bag eh? Interesting.

I am so glad you got to have this experience with your son! Would love to see pictures!

Congrats!!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

PADRunner

It's not the destination but, the journey.  It sounds like you had a memorable one. Congratulations!

Nevrgivup

Congratulations on your first Boston. What an amazing experience to share with your son. Was a perfect day here for sure.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Mmmmm...beer

Best non-RR ever! Smile  I don't think there could be anything better than getting to experience it with your son, that's great.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

It sounds like a great time! I'm glad you shared it with DS.

- Andrew

B-Plus

Congrats to you and your son and thanks for sharing.

RSX

Running Boston with a son or daughter has to be one of the best things that anyone can get to share.

happylily

Running Boston with a son or daughter has to be one of the best things that anyone can get to share.

+1

I'm totally envious of your experience, but I'm very happy for you two.  Thanks for the report!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Good stuff, Bluesky.

Glad you could experience it.

delicate flower

Sounds like you truly soaked in the experience.  Good stuff, bluesky.  Smile

<3