Beginners and Beyond

Talk to me about shin splints :-/ (Read 75 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I have been having pain in my right shin since right after the Marine Corps 10K which was October 27th. Generally it is more an annoyance than a pain. Sometimes I've felt it a little when running but not enough to stop running. Sometimes I would feel it for a couple hours after I run. I've taken 2 weeks off (not consecutively, there was one run in between). I was able to string together a few decent runs and races lately in spite of it. But today it wasn't a niggiling pain.....it HURT. I had to stop running. So.... time for....something..... Long layoff? Stretches? Deep tissue massage? Special exercises? Anything work well for anyone? I know some of you have had shin splints before. Also....where on your shin does it usually hurt? For me it is on the inside of my right shin only, about halfway down. Is a shin splint what it even is? Yes I KNOW you're not doctors....and if I need to I will eventually go to one.... But my copay is high, I can't really take off work now, and my doctor hates runners and the last time I came in with a running injury he wouldn't even look at it and slammed the door on me (yes I know, I need a new doctor and have been trying to research one). But I would like some guidance even though you're not doctors.....you were all about a million times more knowledgeable about ITBS after all than my primary care doctor, orthopedic doctor and PT, after all.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Sorry to hear about the shin splints.  FWIW, hubby's long period of no running did not help with his shin splints, which they say could last up to 6 months.  He is still not shin pain free, but he runs with a shin brace (I've posted the name for Lauren and Traci before) from McDavid (Calf Sleeve) and it works for him.  He still gets shin soreness and in some days pain, but he has been able to run and add mileage with the brace.  He also taped the part that hurts when pressed for his HM and he ran pain free yesterday.  For him, it comes and goes but never got better with 3 months off.

You should also get it checked out in case it is not shin splints.  I remember a fellow forumite that thought she had shin splints but really had an SFx.  She no longer posts and it was a long time ago, so I might be wrong, though.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Antipodean

I haven't had a bad case of shin splints for some time.  I had them bad and they stopped me from running about 6 years ago. Then, and now when i get a niggle I do lots and lots of stretching - my calfs & my arch (with a golf ball). I also do quite a bit of self massage. That's what's worked for me, but I don't believe mine have been particularly serious. I was just considering acupuncture 6 years ago when the problem magically disappeared.

Good luck treating yours.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Hip Redux

I would want to be sure it's not a stress fracture.

happylily

I had shin splints for up to a year when I started running. I never stopped running because of them. In fact, whenever I would stop for a few days in a row, it would make things worse when I would start again. For me, the pain would be present the first 4-5 miles, then it would go away once the legs were thoroughly warmed up. Eventually, the shin splints went away either because I did my shin splints exercises regularly (you can google them, they are standard stretching exercises), or because that area of the legs adapted to the new stress I was imposing on them when I took up running. But like Damaris said, if you really have shin splints, I'm not sure that rest is what you really need (unless of course it's too painful to run. Then yes don't run).

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hey Kristin - you are late reporting your miles from last week!

Here.

Dave

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Hey Kristin - you are late reporting your miles from last week!

Here.

OOPS...thanks! Sorry, was away this weekend til late last night (took a personal day from work yesterday) and forgot yesterday was actually  Monday!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

bluerun

Super B****

Lots of people mistake a sfx for shin splints, it's not THAT unusual I don't think!  I never had shin splints when I was new to running, but they've pretty much been a pain in the ass all year for me.  There were a couple of times that they hurt REALLY badly, so much so that I was pretty convinced I did have a fracture (hey, with my history, can you blame me?!)... but apparently it never was.  I have them bilaterally, but much worse on the right side, about in the spot you describe.  The most helpful thing for me is to get regular massages -- it hurts like a bitch, but my shins have been behaving much better since I've started doing that.

But I'd still get it checked out if I were you!!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

onemile

I had them for most of my first year of running. They never got that bad and I mostly just ignored them. I think it partly due to tight calves and partly due to lacking muscles in my lower legs for running.  Anyway, eventually they went away.  But occasionally they come back if I try to do too much.  Stretching my calves post run seems to help, along with foam rolling and the stick.

obiebyke

I have them, but I chalk it up to being a newbie and constantly (gradually) building mileage. I actually found they hurt less when I'm racing. Interesting. What I do that helps is toe raises. Not calf raises, but the kind of thing where you put your feet flat on the floor and then raise your toes up towards your shins. You'll feel it in your shins if you're doing it right. That strengthening seems to help. And foam rolling.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

happylily

I have them, but I chalk it up to being a newbie and constantly (gradually) building mileage. I actually found they hurt less when I'm racing. Interesting. What I do that helps is toe raises. Not calf raises, but the kind of thing where you put your feet flat on the floor and then raise your toes up towards your shins. You'll feel it in your shins if you're doing it right. That strengthening seems to help. And foam rolling.

Agree with everything here. I also found that the faster I ran, the less it hurt. Like the longer the impact on the ground, the more the pain is felt... But you cannot always run fast and running faster doesn't cure you. I also found that putting my back against a wall, standing with my heels about a foot away from it, then raising my toes and top of my feet up would help stretch and lessen the pain for upcoming runs.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks guys. I'm glad that the consensus doesn't seem to be a really long layoff!

I had shin splints when I tried running track in high school and then again in college. I believe they were caused by the sudden increase in both mileage and intensity. The first time I had shin splints they eventually turned into a stress fracture (right leg) and a stress reaction (left leg). I was then prematurely cleared for sports and reinjured my right leg. I have no residual pain today, though. The only time I've had any shin pain since I started running again was during a track session with my running club.

My podiatrist at the time recommended that I wear custom orthotics and strengthen the muscles around my shin. I still wear the orthotics, but got lazy with the strength exercises. Stretching has been really helpful, as well. Once, during track season in college, my calves became so tight that I couldnt bend my ankles. I have no doubts that was related to the shin splints.

So I guess I would recommend stretching, strength exercises, and to take it easy if it hurts too much to run. Good luck! Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Does anyone have good stretching and strength exercises? I just can't figure out how to properly stretch my shin.

Pinktastic

Does anyone have good stretching and strength exercises? I just can't figure out how to properly stretch my shin.

Venomized has a great routine somewhere on this site (can't remember where exactly).

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.