Beginners and Beyond

Running while sick (Read 88 times)

rmorrissey64

So I have a mild cold, just enough to make me feel crappy, but no fever. I've taken a couple of day off from running, but I have a mileage goal I'm trying to hit for the week. when is it OK to run again, is feeling a little bit better OK, or should I wait for the cold to run it's course?

Love the Half

If it's just a head cold, get out there and run.  There is actually a decent bit of evidence that you'll get over the cold faster if you continue to exercise.  You might just be able to jog and it might just be a short run but you should be fine.  Strangely enough though, I have had some of my best runs when I had a cold and had to force myself to get outside.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

If it is in your lungs at all, be careful.

But I have found that when I am sneezing or have a runny nose, running actually alleviates these symptoms.

Dave

cmb4314

If it's in my head, running feels awesome, because usually my blocked up nose opens up during the run and it feels wonderful to be able to breathe.  Sometimes it's annoying to not be able to blow my nose, but that somewhat depends on the cold.

If it's in my chest, I generally don't run.  Partially because I have always heard that running with a chest cold can make the cold worse, partially because I don't enjoy the coughing fits that would come from running with a chest cold.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

LRB

I have to be deathly ill to no run or workout and I actually find that doing so while sick hastens healing.

The one issue you may have is strength, which usually only comes into play during a race or speed work but otherwise it should not be a problem.

A word of caution; if it's a head cold do not take your snot rocketing lightly, as they tend to be of epic proportions and require a really strong blow.  ; )

robinde

I run with colds.  My head opens up during my workout.  I don't seem to have a coughing problem during my run, but after can sometimes be a bitch.

B-Plus

It can be done, following the guidelines others have already set out. But I don't see the point. If I'm only going to be out a couple of days, then I'd rather just lay in bed or sit my ass on the couch and rest. The 5-20 miles that I miss aren't going to make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things. If I'm ill for longer, then I'll run unless I seriously can't or am too wimpy.

I ran my first HM three hours after puking. I trained for my first marathon with a nasty cold that took more than two weeks to vacate my body. I'm the wrong person to askSmile

I ran my first HM three hours after puking. I trained for my first marathon with a nasty cold that took more than two weeks to vacate my body. I'm the right person to askSmile

FYP.

Dave

I can vouch for this. I though an easy three miles last night wouldn't be a big deal. Wrong. I was coughing all night, and my chest is on fire this morning. Not. Worth. It.

If it's in my head, running feels awesome, because usually my blocked up nose opens up during the run and it feels wonderful to be able to breathe.  Sometimes it's annoying to not be able to blow my nose, but that somewhat depends on the cold.

If it's in my chest, I generally don't run.  Partially because I have always heard that running with a chest cold can make the cold worse, partially because I don't enjoy the coughing fits that would come from running with a chest cold.

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

delicate flower

OP needs to tell us how the run went....

<3

rmorrissey64

Runs since Thursday went fine, but a little slower then normal and I am feeling better now. Of course I'm beginning to think I might have a running problem since I took off Thursday from work, but still went for a run that night.

SusanRachel

Runs since Thursday went fine, but a little slower then normal and I am feeling better now. Of course I'm beginning to think I might have a running problem since I took off Thursday from work, but still went for a run that night.

That doesn't sound like a running problem to me.  It sounds like a work problem.  Wink