Beginners and Beyond

Ummmm.... Dailies.... Hello...... Anybody Awake this Sunday?. (Read 37 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yep, last night SUCKED...... major.

I made a lot of bad decisions, first one was deciding to go on this run after having a bout of GI issues that afternoon that honestly felt as if I had taken a laxative (I didn't). Although I was drinking water all day, I was dehydrated.

Second bad decision - a tiny 18 oz bottle rather than taking my hydration pack and filling my 2L reservoir with mostly ice and some water (hell it was melting fast anyways). And then filling it with gatorade, not sure if either would have been better, but I do know that if I had my hydration pack I would've hat 2 L of water and an 18 oz bottle of gatorade.

Third (possibly) - not taking my phone, then again DH's phone was dead so it wouldn't have really mattered.

I headed out at 8 PM, it was 86 degreees, 70% humidity and a heat index of 95 and no wind, dew point of 75.

The first 3 miles was good, I didn't even feel like stopping, but soon after that it all went slowly to hell. The gas pains came back, the stomach pains came and the only good thing was I found a port-a-potty at some suburban construction site.... and I used it a lot. I should've turned back at this point, but I'm too stupid to do the smart thing.

Things got really tough around mile 6, I was constantly stopping and laying down in the grass, constantly wishing I was home, wishing I had ice cold water.

At mile 7. ...... I think 7.4 miles, I finally gave in and stopped at a house that had their lights on, I asked for ice and water. The guy was concerned and kept asking if I wanted to use the phone or get a ride home, I said thank you but I was only 2 miles from home at this point. Unfortunately my craving for water actually ended up screwing me, my stomach was heavy and complaining.

I reached my nine and still had .4 miles to go, I hit save on mile 9 and walked the rest of the way home, as a cool down walk.

I was sick the rest of the night

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Cyberic

I'm here. It was nice and cool this morning. 63 at the beginning of my run, not humid.

Ran 17.3 at 7:44 avg pace. After yesterday's misery run, today's felt great.

No more marathons

Yep, last night SUCKED

Sorry to hear that.

Today was a day of indecision.  Went to bed last night with the idea of running today because I was most likely not going to run on Monday - all day business meeting.  I don't normally run both days of the weekend, and I ran 10 (long for me) on Saturday.

This morning after I rolled out of bed I figured to hell with it - I'm not training for the Olympics, it's not going to hurt to take two days off.

After I had a cup of coffee and settled into the sofa to finish reading a book I've been working on for a while I thought what the hell, get off your ass and get a few easy miles in.

OK out the door - heading down the road thinking this suxs and thought if I'm going to do this lets get it over with quick and make it count.  So went 3 X 800 at near 5K pace with 800 recovery.  Done in 30 minutes back in the house with my second cup of coffee.

There's a question in all this:  my legs actually feel better now after the speed work than they did after my long(ish) run yesterday.  Does anyone else every feel better after "blowing the pipes out" a bit?

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Cyberic

FS, compared to yours, I guess my run yesterday wasn't so bad, after all.

on my way to badass

OMG FreeSoul!  The weather itself would have kept me down.  I hope you recover today.

3.25 done, still reeling in the Pace bunny.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Cyberic

Bluesky, when I don't overdo it, a little speed does make my legs feel good at times. In fact, my semi-injured right foot handles speed better than slow pounding. But that might also be because when I do speed work, there is less volume.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

I slow-jogged 5 awesome miles.  A little tightness in the calf, but nothing too unusual.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Runner with a riding problem.

From the Internet.

Ugh FS that sounds horrible! Hope you can lay low and get some rest today!

D, so sorry to hear about your mom yesterday! How's she doing today?

I ran 6, it was already a little too warm when I headed out at 7:30 but I needed the sleep. Feeling sore and stiff today, but at least it's the all little stabilizers and junk complaining and not the usual suspects (the big meaty calf muscles, shins/post tib tendons in particular). Still a little dehydrated from yesterday too. Had a big glass of Nuun with ice with breakfast and am feeling a little less parched now!

No more marathons

Cyber - I suspect some of it comes down to form, and the different muscle groups used for the different types of running.

I've found that in my long(ish) runs the slowdown in pace mostly comes from a shorter stride length, not from lower cadence.  So that, I think, results (or comes from) less use of the hips in the running process.  Running faster forces a more efficient stride.

Of course, what the hell do I know.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

At this very moment, a month off from running sounds great....

I woke up feeling like I had a hangover  And I've got.... or had.... plans for my speed work tonight on the track, but it's supposed to be hotter at 8 PM tonight than last night, or feel hotter... I'm not real sure.

Cyberic I am freaking jealous. And last night sucked hard, not in a good way either.

still bluesky 2 days off won't kill you, sounds really good right now too.

Stonefence, I think I've proven many times just how stupid and stubborn I can be lol. Maybe that's way DH think I'm obsessed.

Lauren, common sense would keep me at home tonight....... but sometimes or more times, common sense goes out the window for me. 

I think I've got everybody....

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

delicate flower

'Morning.  Sorry to hear about the miserable run, FreeSoul.  Not fun.

I ran this morning.  90 minutes with, with 2 x 15 minutes of that at tempo.  I could only muster about a 7:25 pace on the tempos.  All things considered (heat, yesterday's ride, overall fatigue), I'll take it.  11.5 miles total at 7:48 avg pace.

For the week:

Swim - 5.9 miles

Bike - 196.7 miles

Run - 32.4 miles

19 hours, 11 minutes of training.  I'm tired, guys.  IM training is starting to grind me into a stump.

<3

Cyberic

IM training is starting to grind me into a stump.

No kidding!

Docket_Rocket

Morning. I am on the TM for 20 starting now.

FS, that hungover feeling is normal in that weather, which js why I don't run outside for 9 months. After a couple of weeks you are constantly feeling like shit.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Morning. I am on the TM for 20 starting now.

FS, that hungover feeling is normal in that weather, which js why I don't run outside for 9 months. After a couple of weeks you are constantly feeling like shit.

Once again I am thankful that I don't live down there. July and August are probably our worst months here and then it eases up so I've just got to suffer for another 6 weeks or so lol. But sometimes that changes, the weather and seasons are never constant and back in 2012 the humid, hot weather lasted into December... which is what severely worsened Molly's lung cancer and took the life of my bestest friend 

I'll be debating all day on whether to hit the track tonight or not.........

PRs

Docket_Rocket

If it's that's hot and humid, the track will feel worse than the trails. Tough choice.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page