Beginners and Beyond

Too legit to quit Penguins Thursday (Read 37 times)

Bin Running

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

From yday,

Awood, I don't feel tried.. So not taking a RD.. Well, I took a "RD" on Monday by doing 3M recovery.

Vance, They are painful but I am ok with it as I don't show them off a lot..

Scotty, I think you mentioned you don't had any shin splints as well.

Mel, no RD for me..

Cherie, that shoe shld be fine.. I have clock 100+miles in it and it is my regular shoes.. I suspect I ran that run either too hard or I am tried on that day.. The fatigue probably cause some funny movement to my fee/toe.. It was a little painful on Sunday and the tor started apprearing darker on Wed..

Jerry, probably due to the fatigue on longer run? I do trim my toenail frequently.. Maybe just one of those run.. haven't had a black toenails for maybe 6 months..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

13M MLR on the card today but I would probably just do 10-11..

Meeting some old friends for drinks after dinner and DW/DS is sleeping over at in-law place.. Big grin

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Bin: good luck with the 13 and enjoy the drinks! Have a beer for me Smile

As for me, I did an easy 45 min yesterday and I am doing the same thing today.

hog4life

Bin, enjoy the 10-13 and drinks afterwards.

Jack, enjoy the 45 minutes easy.

I didn't run yesterday, too tired from working 12 hour shifts this week. I'll only work 8-10 tonight so hope to get 6-7 miles in.

I am about to go get in 8 miles before work. So sleepy. I think I just woke up the neighbor's rooster- stupid bird.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I keep reading everybody's comments to Bin as, "enjoy 10-13 drinks".  I guess my mind is on the weekend already.

Not good, I have to make this work day count.  I might get to run outside tonight.  It's tricky.  Some of this stuff needs to melt, but not so fast that we end up flooded.  The plan is 20E + 20T + 20E + 20T + 2 miles.  We'll see if it's treadmill, puddle stomping or ice skating.  If I get really lucky I'll find dry pavement.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Bin Running

Jack, good luck with the 45mins run. Will have a beer for you.

Mitch, 12 hrs shift is tough. Hope you find some time today.

Tomas, Enjoy the 8M.

Awood, what is this 20t and 20e you are talking abt? 10-13 drinks sound wonderful. Haa

11.5M done.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

With the forecast of wet snow accumulation in the overnight and continued snowy and windy conditions all morning I thought for sure dreadmill it would be. But when I woke up there was NO accumulation, ice on the roads, slush, nothing. Forecast was windchill of 21 or 13 depending on which site I looked at, and 0% or 50% chance of snow depending on the site. I can deal with that so i put on my water and wind proof jacket, an extra warm headband over my tech material headband/ear warmer, and out I went. Of course it started snowing as soon as I stepped out the door lol! It was pretty, snow-globe snow though. City was quiet, not a soul in sight. I enjoyed my run a lot. Til the winds really picked up when I was on the jogging path by the water. WOW! I was literally almost moving backwards. Felt like a treadmill. And when snowflakes pelt you in the eye at 30+ mph…owww! Honestly though I was smiling and laughing the whole time.

2.5 snowy, windy miles, done.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  10-13 miles tonight.  Working from home so I'll have to check back at lunch.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Awood, I thought you were talking about miles at first!  I was wondering when you got into ultras!  But you must mean minutes at tempo pace and minutes at easy pace, right?

I'm running around this AM trying to get things ready for this weekend's robotics tournament.  I'll run 10 after work.

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!

Running after work today, distance unknown, but I'd like to get in 8-9 miles.  Still a lil windy, but at least it's not raining.  Smile

Hope everyone is having a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I am 'fatigued"!  Apparently the reason I am fatigued is that I have some type of virus or stomach bug,  I found that out this morning after my run.  I got up at 5 a.m. went to Lackland Air Force Base to run with a couple of buds.  I felt pretty good for the whole run/walk, and we did 4.5 miles.  But after I stopped, it was like - WHAM! - something hit me and I puked a couple of times post-run.  My buds, knowing my medical history, got all concerned and hustled me over to the nearby Troop Clinic.  Funny, there I am, retired military, sitting in among all these trainees, lol. The doc worked me in, took some tests (blood, urine, etc), had me wait for the results, also told me I had a temp of 100, not too bad.  The results showed nothing serious.  He told me my body was probably trying to fight something off and the run/walk most likely made my body more tired and made everything 'surface."   He gave me some meds to help, told me to go home and do nothing for the next 24 hours, rest, rest, rest, drink lots of liquids, rest some more. So now I am at home with an unexpected day off work, napping on-and-off, drinking lots of water, and will only eat stuff  for a while that is very easy on my stomach.

Oh well, life goes on, this too shall pass.   At least I got a very nice run/walk in, lol.  One funny thing happened to us along the way.  As we were nearly finished, we were running down one of the Troop Walk streets - closed off streets where the Air Force basic trainees march to and from classes, training, chow halls, etc.  We had forgotten that Friday is "Graduation Day" for some of the trainees, so Thursday is "Family Day', when family and friends can come out and visit with the graduating trainees.  The visitors also get an orientation about what will happen on graduation day with the ceremony, post-graduation, etc.  Part of Family Day is the visitors all line up along the Troop Walk and the graduating trainees march past them 'in review."  We had forgotten about that too. So here we are, running down the Troop Walk street, with all these people lined up on either side of us, lol, waiting for the trainees to appear for the review.  As usual, I was wearing one of my I BEAT CANCER shirts and someone  saw that and shouted "Beat cancer, yeah!"  And then all these folks started clapping and cheering us along as we 'ran the gauntlet' between the two lines of them.  Too funny!   We kind of hammed it up, l just going with it, raising our arms over our heads in 'victory",  and I heard one of my buds calling out "Thank you, thank you!  My family thanks you, my dog thanks you, my cat thanks you!"  Joking    Kind of a nice 'mental rush' way to end a run though, we got past them all with big smiles, then just busted out laughing,  and ended our run one block later at the gym.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Bin, good luck with your miles today, and enjoy the drinks with friends. DW is sleeping at your in-laws?  OK, Bin...what did you do? Wink  I have never had shin splint problems, but I have a 'dent' in my shin, which is why I have to wear the shin sleeve when I get active.  I have also have a weird left big toe on which the nail kept growing back ingrown, so the doc finally did surgery on it so it the nail would never grow back all the way, it always stays now in a kind of hump shape....

Weird, huh?  But it works well for me!

Have fun with the easy 45, Jack!

"Only" 8 - 10, Mitch?  Still a lot of hours.  Hope you get your miles in!

I think I just woke up the neighbor's rooster- Dang, Tomas, you mean you made your neighbor's cock crow?  Shocked  Wink  I'm sorry, I can't help myself...  hope your 8 miles went well!

Dang, Awood, treadmill or pavement, I'm just impressed you're going to do 82 miles!  Wink  Good luck with your workout.

Good luck with the 10 - 13, Damaris!  Working from home again?  That analyst must've REALLY annoyed you!

Good luck with the 10, Z!   Good luck with your robotics competition too!

Happy miles, Dave!   Hope the weather cooperates for you.

Oh yeah, San Antonio weather - a 'brisk" 38 for my run at 6 a.m....but I still wore shorts for the run, guess I'm getting 'hardcore'...yeah, right. Roll eyes    Heading for a high today of 74 degrees and lots of sunshine, still no sign of rain that we badly need down here.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Feel better, Scotty!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page