Beginners and Beyond

Sunday Penguins shake that waddle! (Read 28 times)

SheCan

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!

What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

Mornin' Cherie!  I was shaking my waddle last night at the end of my run. lol

Had a great 7 miler last night, with a nice lil race at the end.  The neighbors around the corner were having a party and on my way back to the house at the end of my run, there were some kids out front (I'm guessing high school age).  One of the kids comes out into the street and starts running next to me.  So I gave a lil surge to see if he was game, and he takes off, it's on!  Full sprint for probably less than a tenth of a mile, we're neck and neck, and I wasn't going to let up until my legs gave out or he quit.  Turns out he quit first.  I thanked him for the race and told him that it was a nice finish to my seven mile run.  His eyes got big and he said incredulously, "You just ran 7 miles?!?!" LOL  It gets better.  As I was heading towards my house I heard him tell his friends, "That guy just ran 7 miles!", and then one of his friends said, "And I think he's old!". LMAO!

Looking at my Garmin data, our sprint was at a 4:22/mile pace!!  It was only a short distance, but that's the fastest pace I've ever recorded.  Even my kicks at the end of a 5k are usually around 5:45/mile.

I'll go out for some more miles this evening.

Hope everyone has a great day!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

SheCan

Good morning Penguins!

Y'all must be out still running while I'm enjoying my rest day!  Its so nice having coffee outside while it's still cool.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

SheCan

LOL Dave what a great story!  I'm totally not surprised you kicked butt, but danged 4:22 pace!  I'm glad you showed that kids what us old people that keep moving can do.

Cherie

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Dave - That's awesome.  Haha...I think he's old.

She Can - Yes, coffee outside is awesome.  At my bachelor party weekend, we were camping.  I think everybody brought some sort of coffee, and a way of brewing it.  It was kind of funny, but well worth it.

AFM - Race report is up!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

tracilynn

Dave wow that's like Kenyan speed. Very funny old man comment. LOL.  guess you showed him!

~~~~~~~

Traci

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks guys, it was a great run already, and to finish it that way just made it even better.  I should mention that it was dark (10pm), so the old comment is even funnier, since it was hard to see.  I also ran shirtless and was absolutely drenched in sweat (even at 9-10pm, the humidity was crazy).  One of the kids commented that I was "all shiny". lol

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Bin Running

Dave, that's a cool story. LOL abt the old man part.

Cherie, enjoy the coffee.

Awood, will go check out your RR.

Traci, morning.

3 recovery miles done in the morning. A little sore esp the left thigh.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I'm at my parents' house again because my brother is home for 2 weeks from Hawaii and we are having some family time, so I got to run with my dad again this morning. He is doing amazing....he is faster than me now, and has to slow down for me (oy!) but the good news is both my IT band and hamstring felt great during our short 2.25 mile run this morning. No pain at all!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Kristin - That's awesome!  You might be turning a corner on healthy running.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I hope so....if I could have a healthy June I would be over the moon.

Kristin - That's awesome!  You might be turning a corner on healthy running.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

One Half So Far

Mornin, amigos!  I'm still alive Smile

Had my moonlight 5-mile race last night.  Set a 4-minute PR for that distance, plus 3rd/10 AG.  Since I live in Eugene, that's pretty amazing...guess all the guys in my AG spent the day at the Pre meet.  Anyhoo. I'd write a RR, but I'm not that wordy.  I ran good, leave it at that.

Hope everyone is healthy and happy.

~Jeff~

PR: 5K 26:34 (Would have been faster if I hadn't had to tie my shoe), 5M: 43:10, 10K: 54:51. First HM 4/14/13 2:03:23

6/1: Moonlight 5M, Springfield 43:10

7/4 Butte to Butte 10K, Eugene

7/21 Run in the Country HM, Coburg

Another HM sometime in October or November.  Several to choose from.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

North Shore HM completed 2:19:39.  Unfortunately, it was wet and cold which took the fun out of it.  Still shivering.  Very nice  course through North Shore McMansions and Fort Sheridan Army Base.  Really struggled last few miles but got it done and 5 minute PR.  High point was unexpectedly seeing a couple from our Rick Steves Italy Tour from 2 years ago.  They were cheering their daughter on and she was right next to us.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

D2: Nice work. You show those whipper snappers how it's done!

She Can: enjoy the rest. I am doing the same thing.

Awood and Bin: great RRs.

traci: "Kenyan speed," lol. Well said!

kristin: great news on the IT! For some people, I think time is the best medicine when it comes to IT bands.

J.Drumm: four minute pr!! Yes!!!

Jerry: good work! Man, your times are improving!

As for me, I am taking a rest day. My legs are a bit sore from yesterday and tomorrow is my massage! Later DW and I are going to a baby shower (bleh) but on the bright side there will be beer and cool friends there so I can mess around with the other dads. Also, I put up a little RR on my mud run yesterday, more pictures than anything.  Have a good, relaxing day.

GinnyinPA

Jerry and Jeff - congratulations on your PRs.

Cherie - coffee outdoors always tastes richer.

Hi Tracilynn.

Dave - what a great way to finish a run.  Good example for the kids too.

Awood - I'll read the RR next.

Bin - hope your recovery goes well.  Did you feel pain in your thigh during the race?

Kristin - good news on the IT and hamstring.  I hope June is a much better month for you.

Very humid here, but fairly cool when the clouds are out.  Walking Ben, I was dripping, but that's because the sun came out midway.  We're expecting thunderstorms this afternoon, so I'm not sure whether I'll end up running indoors or out.