Beginners and Beyond

Penguins are feelin' good on Friday... (Read 35 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

I am up late so I guess I can get it started. Besides, it's already Friday for most of you.  I went out to the LRS and they were cool and gave me an exchange on some shoes. I got the New Balance 860 V3 but I went from a size 11 to a 12. My normal shoe is a 10! I went out and did a 5 mile tempo run and was very happy with my splits: 8:30, 7:21, 7:22, 7:14, and 8:48. I am trying to come up with a good goal for my HM pace but I don't want to overtrain. I am thinking around 7:40 or so? I don't know. I am busy this weekend with a long run, track meet with older DD (those things can drag on for hours), and a fun night out with some friends. I am going to indulge if we go to the place there are talking about. Have a great Friday and if I can't check in, have an even better weekend. Good luck to anyone who might be racing.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Jack.  Its only Friday in OUR time zone.  I had to work late, and have a meeting with the same people in the morning.  Whats your excuse?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Ummm... doing dishes, folding laundry, correcting homework, putting away groceries, picking up DD from somewhere, etc... Welcome to my life, awood.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

So you weren't buying shots for customers?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Zelanie

With all this talk of Friday, I'd better get to bed!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Awood: NO!  Lol...

Zel: Sorry if I started this too early, I figured everyone was done for the day. I won't start one again unless it is some ungodly hour. My apologies.

Bin Running

Jack, that's some speedy pace.. Looks like you and the new shoes get along well.. HM is at Mar, right?

Awood, meeting with same people twice a day can be so boring.. Big grin

Mel, nite..

Not too early for me.. 4pm at my place now...  SRD for me.. was looking to squeeze in a 3M recovery in the morning but sleep in after late night watching Dexter.. I do find that recovery is more suited for me than complere RD..
                  Well, I still have time to keep the streak if I ran 2-3 after dinner.. First time I can remembered running 5 days in a row.

I post a question in HM usergrp which I see some of us posting.. Basically, I need some advise on what I should do with 2 HM that are 2 weeks aprt.. To race both, race 1st and easy on 2nd or vice versa...

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morrning Penguins!

Yesterday I ran 5.1 mikes after work. Have a couple recovery miles planned for tonight and 7 on tap for tomorrow.

I wonder if everyone is getting stir crazy from winter - seems like there's been a lot of negative or perceived to be negative comments in some of the other threads. I bet a psychology major could write an awesome thesis on Internet induced mental illness.

Fools rush in where wise men fear to tread.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Jack - fine start.  Enjoy the day once you get started!  Nice run also.

Awood - good morning!

Zelanie - I'll say...  LOL

Bin - have a great night.  If it was 4pm for you at that time it's close to 7pm now.  Well done on the streak and hope you were able to continue it tonight.

Gustav - I don't have cabin fever but it does happen to many people, especially this time of year.  I see an increase in family fights, suicidal people, and alcohol related calls this time of year.  However, they've been on the increase steadily for sometime however...  it seem especially suicidal people.  I chalk it up to too much news related media, lack of jobs, and the like.  That is my professional, albeit not scientificly evaluated, opinion.

From the Internet.

Good morning pens Smile Up waaaay too early today - I'm going to need a caffeine IV by the end of the day D:

Damaris - I'm inclined to believe it was more my own lack of common sense than my shoes, but I'm heading to the LRS sometime in the next week just to get an experienced opinion. I'm rotating 2 pairs of Mizuno Wave Precisions. They are super comfortable and fit me like a glove but my bum left leg might need a little more support, especially since the right leg held up just fine in the face of a major mileage/intensity jump.. I've been wondering if I could get away with keeping the same shoes but adding some kind of insert like Superfeet.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  6 recovery miles tonight, after the chiro.

Jack, thanks for opening the thread!  Maybe the shoes run small?

Awood, hello!  Morning.

Zelanie, hope you got your sleep.

Bin, I love Dexter, enjoy!

Gustav, hope your run goes well.

Van, morning!

Lauren, I've never needed inserts so I'm of no help there.  Make sure you're running slow enough and not to increase the miles too fast.  That happened to me during my first year of racing and I realized I was running the runs too fast and therefore getting shin pain.  Good luck.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning Penguins!

I had PT last night. Continued to learn more about how messed up my body is haha...I have such a slew of issues contributing to the ITBS it's not even funny.

This morning I had a very slow, very easy, very flat surfaced recovery paced 1.5 mile jog. Just to stay loose and make sure my legs work. I wanted to make sure I tried a couple things my PT told me to do before my race on Sunday too...ya know so I "don't try anything new on race day" specifically wearing my ITB strap under my tights instead of over, and to wear my custom insoles- which I rarely wear because they bother me. He actually thinks I really need to go to a podiatrist and get actual custom orthotics, but in the meantime he said I really need to be running in the insoles. Since I've only worn them a few times I figured I should take them for a spin today. Still hate them, lol....so I need to make a decision on if I will wear them Sunday. Which, by the way, Lauren, are Superfeet*. I hate them lol, clearly, but my others swear by them. I've gotten them re-done twice too and still can't stand them.

Have an awesome Friday!!!

*Edit...just kidding, I lied they're Footbalance

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Oh yeah...and yoga on tap after work

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Went to my ultrasound appointment yesterday afternoon and now waiting for the doc to give me the results in a couple of days.  After my appointment, went to the Y, started my run/walk from there.  Beee-yoooo-teee-ful run/walk!   Sunny skies, 63 degrees with a 'feels like" temp of 60. Went from the Y to Brackenridge Park (by the San Antonio Zoo), enjoyed going along the road by the river; then a couple of trails in the park;  then along the fence-line of the Zoo, passing the Aviary with the birds cheering me on, and stopped for a moment or two to enjoy the lovely flamingo pool; then up the BIG hill in front of the Zoo entrance - this steep hill goes up for quite a ways - until I got to the scenic overlook of the Japanese gardens below and stopped for a moment or two to enjoy that view, very nice!  Then back to the Y.  3.3 miles done and once I was back at the Y, I did my full-body weight training circuit.  Today is a rest day!  Big grin  Tomorrow, Race #15 of the year for me, the Diploma Dash 5K at the university where I work, U. of Texas San Antonio.  Supposed to be around 45 degrees at start time, a bit chilly for we South Texans.  Right now it is 34 degrees in San Antonio, brrr!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt