Beginners and Beyond

Penguins are feelin' good on Friday... (Read 35 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good luck to your DD at the track meet, Jack.  Have fun with your friends, and enjoy those new shoes!

Good luck with the 'streak', Bin!

Congrats on your 5, Gustav.  Nope, not at all, no winter stir-craziness down here in San Antonio.  High of 69 today with a 'feels like' temp of 73.  Lots of sunshine!   Big grin

Have a great day and a great weekend, Vance!

Lauren, good luck with the shoes.  I do wear inserts in my running shoes. The podiatrist that my doc sent me to recommended Powerstep insoles because my 'weird feet' need additional support, and they are a bit firmer than most OTC insoles, and closer to an 'orthotic' than most insoles.   At the time of the appointment, he told me he would have me try the Powersteps first, to save me pending boocoo bucks on orthotics, nice doc!  Luckily, for me, the Powersteps do work.   I have now worn them for years - they last about 1 - 2 years before wearing out - and they have always worked great for me.   In the running stores, they sell for about $40, but you can find lots of places online that sell them cheaper than that.  Try the Powerstep Pinnacle, that is the one that works best for running.

Good luck with the 6 recovery miles, Damaris.

Continued to learn more about how messed up my body is.  I do that too, each year as I get older, lol.  Kristin, sorry you hate your insoles.  Maybe you should try the Powersteps too, see how those work for you.   Hope you race goes well and your knee behaves!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

hog4life

Bin, what does your plan call for that you've been following? Is one of the races more of a goal? I would say race one and do the other easy, but that just me.

Jack, I wouldn't try to pick the goal pace yet, see how things feel later in the training cycle. I really started thinking about it on week 7 of the RH plan that I sent you.

Scotty, hope you get good results.

Hi everyone. No run for me yesterday and sitting at 10 miles so far. My sinuses started acting up yesterday late afternoon, didn't sleep worth a crap, and already having a rough morning. Maybe I'll feel better later today so I can try for 5-6 miles.

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

GRADUATION DAY TODAY!!!

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND PENGUINS!!

Next week, my I am bringing running back into my life and I hope to be able to contribute more that way on this site.

Thanks for being awesome to me even though I haven't been running regularly. The support means more than you know. Hoping to be back real soon....!!!!! Next week it's supposed to be 30 and above and I'm gonna run!!!!!!!!! I bought a Garmin FR10 yesterday to help me get back into the swing of things!!! :-)

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!!

I was just too warm and cozy this morning to get up and run, so I'll run later. Smile

Bin, part of it depends on how fast you recover.  If you have to choose tho, I would race the first one and take it easier on the second one, altho you might surprise yourself and be able to put a good effort into the second one as well.

Tori, congrats again!!!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

hog4life

GRADUATION DAY TODAY!!!

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND PENGUINS!!

Next week, my I am bringing running back into my life and I hope to be able to contribute more that way on this site.

Thanks for being awesome to me even though I haven't been running regularly. The support means more than you know. Hoping to be back real soon....!!!!! Next week it's supposed to be 30 and above and I'm gonna run!!!!!!!!! I bought a Garmin FR10 yesterday to help me get back into the swing of things!!! :-)

Congratulations!!

Bin Running

Thanks for the advise, Mitch and Dave.

Will now probably race the 1st and take it easy on 2nd.

Mitch, the 1st is 8 weeks after my end mar HM. If I am to follow pfitz again, I would probably had to jump into halfway. 2nd HM is at Bali which is also parif of my vacation plan with DW and DS. They probably wouldn't want me to walk funny during our holiday. Haa

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

I would attempt an easy first and a PR on the second, Bin.

Tori, congrats.  Enjoy your wonderful day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Zel, got your email, thanks Smile

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Silly people. Placing me on<br />hold longer doesn't<br />bother me. I'm a nurse <br />and can hold anything<br />for 8-12 hours.

HAPPY GRADUATION, TORI!

Mitch, sorry about the sinuses, etc.  Hmmm, mabye you can see Tori...  Wink    Hope you feel better!

Aww, Z, that was nice of you to run with the other person, I'm sure she appreciated it.   Congrats on your miles!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

OK, now it's morning!  Got my 6 hours, which is reasonable enough for a weeknight.  In general, I've felt like I've needed more sleep with my increased mileage, but I went to bed pretty early a couple days this week.

Last night I ran 8ish total- 3 warmup and then 5ish with the running club.  There was a runner there who runs with a slower group, but the rest of the people at her pace didn't show up!  So I got to run true penguin-paced miles.  It was probably a good idea since I have some tough runs coming up this weekend.  And this runner was still a bit faster than I was for my first social club run!  So I think she did awesome. Smile

Tonight I have my5x3:30 @ V02Max intervals.  I'm supposed to run them on an incline, and it will likely be dark, so I'll run the TM.  Last time I had a hard time maintaining my pace with the incline, although that could be because I didn't adjust my pace at all to account for it.  This time I will start out more conservatively, I think, running just faster than tempo but at 3%.  Then if I can go any faster after a couple repeats, I will.

Jack- I was just giving you a hard time about starting the thread, no worries!  As west coasters, we deserve a chance to start it off once in a while too!  I think I've done it once myself, can't remember the occasion.  Sounds like you had a great run!  I'm also in shoes right now that seem way too big for me, but they work great!

Awood- Hope your customers aren't too hungover to buy stuff from you this morning!

Bin- I say race the first one, then you can decide on a strategy for the second once you know how you feel.  Otherwise you'll always wonder if you could have done more in the first.

Gustav- 7 already?  You rock!  It's a super grumpy month for people at work, too, and of course the drama at DD's school.  I'm hoping March temps and the increasing daylight will help.

Vance- Hiya!  Hope you're healing up!

Kristin- Maybe you just need another brand of insert?  If you hate them, that sounds like something isn't right.  Good luck on your race!

Scotty- That sounds like a fantastic course for your run!  I would run that every day!  That's such a nice picture of the birds cheering you on!  I heard a redwing blackbird for the first time since fall, I think, on a run this week.  It was also a cheerful sound.  And I love to visit Japanese gardens whenever I can.  So peaceful.

Mitch- Hope that you feel better soon!

Tori- Congratulations on your graduation!

Dave- Hope the run goes well later!  Remember we have a tough match up for our H2H this week! Wink

Zelanie

OK, bin, I take that back.  Damaris knows way more about running races close together, so listen to her. Smile

Mitch- Glad it came through OK.

Good morning all

Bin- If all things are equal, I would race the 2nd one and use #1 as a dressed rehearsal. If weather, course, or anything else is a factor, I would choose based on those things. good luck either way. I am sure you will rock it. I wouldnt be shocked if you raced the 1st one and then still do well on the 2nd one.

tori- congrats.

SRD here. I need to somehow get in some miles this weekend. Hoping for 24-26 miles, but not sure how I will break it up. I have/get to go to a track meet saturday am. So I will probably wake up early and get in what I can before I have to travel. BTW- I am going as a spectator to watch our high school kids. What ever I dont get in on saturday am, I will get in before church on sunday.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Docket_Rocket

That's assuming they are of the same distance...  If not, disregard!

OK, bin, I take that back.  Damaris knows way more about running races close together, so listen to her. Smile

Mitch- Glad it came through OK.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Bin: I would use the first one as your last long run as training for the second one. Be sure to EASY and if you recover you can go out and kill it on the second one.

Scotty: I am hoping for good results for you.

Zel: no worries, I am pretty thick skinned. Besides, us west coasters have to stick together!

Awood: more shots tonight?

Docket: yes, they do run small! You think they could have told me that the first time but at least they were cool enough to let me exchange them.

Bin Running

Thanks for all the feedback. Damaris opinion counts for 2, maybe 3. Haa. I'll hold these thoughts till I completed my end mar HM.

Both are HM. I hope they measure the course accurate.

1st is a local race which should be pretty flat and cool as its a midnight race. 2nd at Bali seem to have a little more hills but might ended warmer.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar