Beginners and Beyond

Last Tuesdaily Penguins (Read 22 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Short indoor run again for us, but is tentative with both DD's home today. One is off this week, one is between jobs.

Be careful on the ice !!!

PADRunner

Tried running again. Got about .8 and that was it. Dr. Google says ITBS.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates; maybe some miles.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Robert31320

Team TJ

Good morning everyone.  Happy last Tuesday of 2015.  A few miles at the park for me is the plan for this afternoon.

Running for TJ because he can't.

hog4life

Pad, I'm sorry to hear this. I should also apologize for not paying attention. When did you get hurt? Was it after the Dallas marathon?

Robert, have fun at the park!

I managed 5 miles yesterday morning with a couple short breaks to stretch my Achilles. All seems to be ok but I don't want to push my luck. I did 26 races in 2015 which is double from 2014...... I'm thinking it's no wonder I stayed injured the last half of the year. I plan to cut back again for 2016. I have 12 races planned with the Angels; those are usually a bit easier. I'd like to pick at least one or two goal races for the fall and just use the spring and summer as base building and get my fitness back. I sure would like to get a 50k under my belt!

PADRunner

Pad, I'm sorry to hear this. I should also apologize for not paying attention. When did you get hurt? Was it after the Dallas marathon?

Yea, I haven't been able to run more than a mile since the marathon.

Philliefan33

Waiting for the rain to stop, then I'll go out for 4-5 miles.

GinnyinPA

PAD - I'm sorry to hear the leg is still hurting.  Did you see a PT?

Mitch - I'm glad you're able to run again.  I know you had some big plans for this winter, but I think you're smart to take it easy until you're 100%.

D - enjoy your Pilates and however many miles you do later.

Margo - I hope it dries out for you.  The rain stopped here pretty early, but it was really pouring last night. Our creek is overflowing.

Jerry - do either of your daughters run?  Can you get them to join you at the track?

Hi Robert!  I hope you enjoy your park run.

I'm planning to do 4 with the Beer Runners tonight.  It has been a few weeks since I've joined them--marathon training has priority-- but this is a (very welcome) cutback week, so I'll go do my miles with the group.

SheCan

Was tired yesterday but ended up with 6 miles.  Then did an afternoon hike with a friend.  It doesn't sound like much, but last night I kept waking up feeling achy, so decided to take a rest today.

Jerry-- enjoy the time with your children!

PAD-- there's some things you just cant rush.  I know it's frustrating.

Hey ya Docket & Robert!

Hog-- you've been seriously busy while I wasn't looking!  Sounds like you can do anything you put your mind (body) to now days.

PhillieF-- hope you get some dry skies soon!

Ginny-- cutback weeks are such a relief while marathon training.  Enjoy your group run!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Zelanie

Morning, pens!  Doing fine out here. Smile  I'll probably run 6ish here soon.

Jerry- Hiya!  Enjoy the family time. Smile

PAD- Maybe Dr. Google can refer you to somebody a bit more professional to take a look?  I would assume that PAD slows healing time?

D- Enjoy the down time. Smile

Robert- Have a good run!

Mitch- That is a lot of events!  But if you can use the Angels runs more as extended training runs, I think those miles will help!

Margo- Have a good run!

Ginny- Enjoy the cutback week and social run!

Cheri- Sometimes a hike after a run can be brutal.  Enjoy the rest!

PADRunner

PAD- Maybe Dr. Google can refer you to somebody a bit more professional to take a look?  I would assume that PAD slows healing time?

I may go see my PC Doc but from one description I saw (a screwdriver shoved in the side of your knee after about 6-7 minutes of running) I'll try some of the treatments for a week. Stretching, rolling, core and glutes.

The PAD shouldn't really slow the healing but it probably does contribute to the cause. My gluteus medius cramps early and causes my gate to vary more. More so on the right and that's the knee that is hurting.

Zelanie

I'm glad it doesn't slow healing.  Hopefully the at-home treatments do some good!  The only time I've ever had to call DH to come pick me up, it was from ITBS.

From the Internet.

My leg felt 100% normal when I got up this this morning but it's back to just OK now. Wasn't planning to run today anyway, but still mildly disappointing. Sigh. I guess it has only been a week since I decided to shut it down.

And my coffee maker died! Husband and kid were home all day yesterday, I came home to the smell of hot plastic and found that my 7-year-old automatic drip machine no longer turns off unless you unplug it. It was empty and on for a good 9 hours. That could have been really bad! New hand grinder and Aeropress will be here in 2 days, thanks Amazon Prime - I only make a cup at a time so this is cheaper and potentially tastier than a whole new machine Smile

From the Internet.

Bah. No fun. Is physical therapy an option? I was able to run through it when I had it, but I had dry needling done for the acute symptoms and had to strictly avoid any and all hills for a few weeks while I worked on the strengthening component of treatment.