Beginners and Beyond

Mid-May FriDailies (Read 23 times)

I don't think I've needed a bathroom stop in a long time (mornings have made a huge difference in that).

Mornings are the worst for me—I’m much less likely to need a stop when running in afternoon/evening. Of course I almost always run in the morning. 

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Mornings are the worst for me—I’m much less likely to need a stop when running in afternoon/evening. Of course I almost always run in the morning. 

I am never going to roll outta bed and start running. Within a few minutes of staritng to drink coffee, I take care of things. My usual lunch when I was working on-site was a salad and then I would often have an apple or other fruit in the afternoon. If I was able to go before I ran after work, I was fine. If not, there were problems. Some of the issues were self induced. I remember finding a recipe for cauliflower tacos that I brought for lunch for like a week--they were really good (cauliflower, almonds, chipotle). However, when you have that plus some beans, salsa and lettuce it can create some unpleasant side effects when running.

Docket_Rocket

Yeah, count me in as not stopping for a bathroom while running (most of the time).

Yay, Fred.

My group has not been wearing masks for three months or so but I've only been joining them for runs since I was fully vaccinated. We are normally 40-80+ runners on a given day.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I am never going to roll outta bed and start running. Within a few minutes of staritng to drink coffee, I take care of things. My usual lunch when I was working on-site was a salad and then I would often have an apple or other fruit in the afternoon. If I was able to go before I ran after work, I was fine. If not, there were problems. Some of the issues were self induced. I remember finding a recipe for cauliflower tacos that I brought for lunch for like a week--they were really good (cauliflower, almonds, chipotle). However, when you have that plus some beans, salsa and lettuce it can create some unpleasant side effects when running.

I can't have caffeine before a run. In fact, I stop consuming caffeine a full day before a half marathon just to be sure of getting through it (caffeine is a bladder irritant).  I'm the opposite of Dave in that things go much more smoothly for me if I run in the morning vs. the afternoon or evening.  We're all different and know what works for us.

This time of year, especially, I like hitting the road at 5:30 or 6:00 am because it's just so nice and quiet out there.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
          10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

delicate flower

<3

recipe for cauliflower

really good

Does not compute.

Dave

sdWhiskers

I can't have caffeine before a run

I have no idea about this...as my only source of caffeine is from soda   And I don't drink it in the morning. And rarely run not in the morning.

Actually, I sometimes take the Clif blocks with caffeine during a long run but haven't noticed that making a difference.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I have no idea about this...as my only source of caffeine is from soda   And I don't drink it in the morning. And rarely run not in the morning.

Actually, I sometimes take the Clif blocks with caffeine during a long run but haven't noticed that making a difference.

I like a cup of tea mid-morning.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                  10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

delicate flower

I always have caffeine before a morning run. In fact, I won't run if I can't have coffee first.

+1

<3

sdWhiskers

We are normally 40-80+ runners on a given day.

This gives me anxiety just thinking about it! Definitely prefer running with just RP and I.

I run about 45 min after getting up, during which time I consume two 8-oz cups of coffee (no food). This greatly improves the quality of the run; not sure whether due to the waiting time or the coffee. Whether or not I have coffee does not appear to influence the need to stop. The only time I go coffee-less is when traveling on business or vacation, running from a hotel, and generally wanting to get it done more quickly. Also becomes an adventure because I don’t know where the bathroom options are, if any. Before a race, it’s breakfast+coffee at least 2 hrs before the start, so more time to get everything out of my system. For marathons I generally opt for the Gu flavors with caffeine, but no idea whether it makes a difference.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

6.4 miles. Glad I wasn;t going much longer, cause afternoon issues.

Effective tomorrow, MD's mask mandate is over aside from in healthcare, school & public transportation. Now there is no reason for anyone not bothering to get vaccinated to do so, at leasst until Pfizer gets full FDA approval. As soon as that happens, I suspect every hospital & nursing home that requires a flu shot as a condition of employment will also require this one.

Docket_Rocket

We got an email removing the mask mandate in federal buildings if vaccinated. We are still WFH per the instructions phew.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

We just got an email stating no change to mask/distance policies at our facilities at this time. People who can work remotely are still mostly doing so, but they plan to roll out a back-to-office plan by the end of the month. They have encouraged vaccination and are giving people whatever time off they need for it, but no other rules around it.

Dave

delicate flower

I had my boss's staff meeting this afternoon and we were told to still expect post-Labor Day to return to the office.

<3