Beginners and Beyond

My dream of the Boston Marathon (yes, an RR) (Read 222 times)

Love the Half

Wonderful RR Lily and I'm glad you'll be in Boston next year.  That's terrific.

BTW, nice splits.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Goorun

I'm also glad that you wrote this RR Julie. You could feel emotions just pouring from it.

Little note on your TM training. It obviously works for you and one thing it does, it makes you mentally tough, which is an essential quality for any successful marathon runner.

I suspect, that you have been lying to us about your age for a while now, because you look twenty years younger than you say you are.Wink

I hope to see other RRs soon. I'm working on my.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Docket_Rocket

Awesome race and report.  Thank you for sharing, Lily.

Very glad you finally went to Boston.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Thank you for writing about living that dream, Lily.

You were one of the first runners to inspire me to go after a BQ.   You're an eloquent writer and a strong athlete, and I'm happy that you decided to share your race experience from a day that should have been filled only with triumph.

Loved reading this, thank you for writing it.

Tremendous report. Beautifully written.

And GREAT race!

Bin Running

Lily, Thank you for sharing.. Seem like 3-4 hrs sleep works for you.. You are a running machine... I enjoyed every bit of the RR and I can only dream the dream..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I agree that training on a TM would (if I gave it equal treatment I do the road) probably be a far better training aid but how in the world you spend more than an hour on one is beyond me.  And I mean FAR beyond me.  I don't care what anybody says, training on a TM is NOT easier, IMHO.

and, of course amazing race, RR and splits.

good stuff!

Randy

MrNamtor

Lily, you've made me really rethink the treadmill.  I've believed that running in cold and wind and rain makes you stronger, but maybe in fact all those things are distractions that actually decrease the level of fitness you reach in x miles/hours of training. Kind of like running too fast. If you get beaten up by cold and heat and rain, and as a result your running effort/mileage is decreased, then maybe you're cheating yourself in some way. And I have heard people claim that they've reached PRs that they attribute to their almost exclusive TM training. Anyway, it's interesting.

Motormouse

Proud Aussie

All that and you keep getting Faster!! (BQ -27minutes??? Shocked) Big grin

Great report, thanks for sharing it with us!

Goal: BQ or Bust.  (Done: BQ -5mins July 2014)

Selecting new goal.........

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

What a great report and some really great photos too!  I don't think you have to worry about the 19 year-old girls, lily, you hottie you! Big grin

Congrats on a great race for you, one that must have been very emotional for you for so many reasons!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

paulski66

miscreant

Nicely done, lily. Nicely done...

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

Dreamn

Nice RR, thanks for writing and sharing.  And you got some awesome photos.  Do you also long run on the treadmill?  You're amazing!

BruceD555

What a wonderful report of an awesome race. Kudos for listening to T.O. and running a kick-butt race with some great splits to reach your goal! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Train smart ... race smarter.

delicate flower

Thoroughly enjoyed your RR, Lily.  Congratulations on a great race.  That T.O. sounds like good company.  Smile

<3