Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins (Read 15 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Another clever thread title Smile

Travel day for us, waiting for the fog to lift.

Have a great day !!!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

You are on it with the creativity Jerry ;-)

Probably 7 miles or so for me in a bit.  I'm supposed to do 10 today, but I'll swap that to tomorrow.  My legs are still not at 100% and I'd rather give them a little more rest before tackling 10 again.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Morning, Jerry!  Where are you going?

Hey sapf!  Glad you're starting to feel better. Smile

Track for me tonight.  Hopefully after all the tempo work I've been doing, the intervals will seem short!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I went for a walk in the sunshine yesterday, and it was quite nice.  If I go again today, as I plan to, I will have exceeded my mileage for any month since something like June.  Sheesh.  My knee is beginning to be twingy again -- I've kept up with PT, but not with daily icing.  Maybe I should go back to that.  Anyway, have an awesome day, fellow flightless birds!!

Jerryb -- have a good travel day!!

sapf -- have a good 7, hope your legs get with the program!!

Zelanie -- enjoy the track workout tonight!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

3.5 miles at Fort Sam Houston after work yesterday.  Temp was in the upper 80s, but the dew-point was only in the 50s and the freakin' humidity was only at 37%....sweeeeet!  Felt a little sluggish for the first mile - apparently a tuna salad sandwich about an hour before you run is NOT a good idea - but after a few burps felt much better and the rest of y run/walk went great, with a strong finish.

Plan on 2 run/walks for today.  This morning up in the early a.m. and off to U. of Texas-San Antonio campus and did an easy 3 around the campus.  Tonite, plan on doing another easy 3 at the VFW tonite, and have an encounter with my fellow Team RWB friends.  Running VERY easy today as I did a weight training circuit on Monday night after work; haven't done my weight training in a while and, wow, is my body feeling it today. I could especially feel it when I ran this morning, as all my jiggling fat cells were going "Ow Ow Ow Ow!"  

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Slow start with rush hour traffic.  Going to Boston for niece wedding.

GinnyinPA

Jerry - have fun at the wedding.  It's a nice time to be travelling, with all the autumn color.

Scotty - sounds like a fun day.  Have fun with your RWB friends.

HopesMom - I hope the knee behaves so you can continue your exercise.

Sapf - I'd do whatever you can today and not try to make up for it tomorrow.  You have a MLR on Saturday and a LR on Sunday, right?  The 10 before your 20 (or 18) is important because it gives you practice running long on tired legs, which is hard, but helpful come marathon day.  It also means that your marathon feels easier (in the first 15 or so miles) than your practice runs, because you do that on rested legs.

Z - have fun at the track.  Are you going with the group?

I plan to do 6 or 8 later.  Errands first, then I need to start getting the house ready for company this weekend.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Ginny - I'm doing modified intermediate 1, so I have 6 Saturday, 20 Sunday.  It isn't quite as bad as the intermediate 2.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

hog4life

The Intermediate II is what I was/am doing, but it kind of got derailed due to my ankle. Either one is a good plan IMO.

After my 8 last night, I'm taking a RD and sleeping, starting night shift tonight.

Jerry, safe travels to ya, Say hi to my cousin Krsti when you dive by.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Zel, have a great interval workout!  I hate intervals...

HopesMom, enjoy your walking.

Jerry, safe travels!

Jill, hope you have a pleasant run whatever length you decide.  Does your taper start next week?

Scotty, have fun with your double.

Ginny, have a great run.

Mitch, have a good rest.

I went to an early pilates class this morning, then I ran 5.8 miles.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys. Been in court all day and now working from home.  My office should be ready by Friday, so I'll be cooped up here until then.  I cannot complain.  No interruptions mean that I am so far ahead of my weekly work I'm almost done for the week.

I have 6 with 2 at MP.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Jill, hope you have a pleasant run whatever length you decide.  Does your taper start next week?

Yes it does.  I'm tempted to start it today =P  That race left me sore and tired.  I managed 6.4 and then passed by my apartment and decided to call an end to it for today.  I felt pretty good for most of it actually but my left knee started feeling off for the last mile or so of it.  I'm sure it is probably one of those weird transient pains that would pass if I'd kept going but I figured I'd give my hair a few more minutes to dry before work ;-)

Zelanie

Jerry, now I remember you said Boston. Have a good trip and congrats to your niece!

Ginny the plan is to go at the same time the group goes, but I have a different workout I'll be doing for my HM plan.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Overnight in Buffalo, watching Cubs.  Happy hour at Residence Inn.