Beginners and Beyond

A Cheater at the Go! St. Louis Marathon this past weekend (Read 87 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Love the Half

The Charleston Distance Run awards small cash prizes even to age group winners.  I won my age group last year and I think I got a check for about a hundred bucks.  But, while they pass out trophies, etc on race day, they don't send the checks for a couple of weeks.  Beyond a timing mat around the halfway point, they have a couple of other points along the course where a volunteer is calling out bib numbers and another person is writing it down.  They double check all of that stuff to make sure you didn't cut the course somewhere.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yeah, comments were saying that she had to cut in during the last 2 miles because the true leader (Karl) was still obviously in the lead during the last 2 miles or so.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

With the Boston Marathon on Monday, this story reminded me of the 1936 race, which was the year Heartbreak Hill got its name. Reportedly when the press truck, which thought it was following the leaders, including Johnny Kelley, they were informed that in fact the leader, "Tarzan: Brown had passed through minutes before as he set checkpoint records one after another. Kelley eventually caught and passed him running through the Newton Hills. On the final hill, Brown pulled away and went on to win. The next day the Boston Globe reported that Brown had broken Kelley's heart there, so it became Heartbreak Hill.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

I hate cheaters!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

Lieberman said it was believed Schler had pulled the same trick last year, when she was credited with a third-place finish. Schler could not be reached for comment.

Linky

LRB

With the Boston Marathon on Monday, this story reminded me of the 1936 race, which was the year Heartbreak Hill got its name. Reportedly when the press truck, which thought it was following the leaders, including Johnny Kelley, they were informed that in fact the leader, "Tarzan: Brown had passed through minutes before as he set checkpoint records one after another. Kelley eventually caught and passed him running through the Newton Hills. On the final hill, Brown pulled away and went on to win. The next day the Boston Globe reported that Brown had broken Kelley's heart there, so it became Heartbreak Hill.

This is awesome!

LRB

I hate cheaters!

I hate cheaters only when they get caught.

I mean, how else would I know they cheated.

delicate flower

Cheating asshole.  And this will forever be her legacy when he name is Googled.

<3

LRB

Lieberman said it was believed Schler had pulled the same trick last year, when she was credited with a third-place finish. Schler could not be reached for comment.

Linky

There was also this:

“There’s a euphoria the winner gets, breaking the tape and having the crowd cheer,” Lieberman said. “The true winner did everything right and didn’t get her due.”

It reminds me of a quote from Shalane Flanagan regarding elite marathon runners who dope:

"They're stealers of dreams and stealers of moments," she said in an article in Running Times. "Yes, you can be handed the medal later, but the moment is gone. It has passed."

MothAudio

Why do people do this? What I don't understand is how her 3rd place fake finish from last year's race was not discovered until this year. This person said she removed the timing chip from her bib, like last year. That means there was no timing data from the checkpoints. I understand that races can't monitor everyone but you would think they'd verify the top finishers - look at video, check splits at checkpoints before handing out awards / prize money.

In addition, shouldn't there be communication between race personal on the course and race personal at the finishline who the 1st place runners are? Don't most major [city] marathons have lead vehicles that "pick up" lead runners and record their progress in the closing miles? Obviously much easier to monitor the leading men than the leading women [assuming same start time].

And wouldn't the fact she's wearing 3/4 tights be a giveaway? She wore her bib [hidden] on her thigh, some races will DQ you if you don't wear it on the front of your singlet / shorts.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

With the Boston Marathon on Monday, this story reminded me of the 1936 race

Did you run that one?

Dave

RSX

1 article has her running Boston Monday. Lieberman tipped them off about the 2014 suspicions. Baggage pickup is going on. I wonder if hers has the Jeff Probst line (Survivor) "I got nothing for you" and no #.

MothAudio

1 article has her running Boston Monday. Lieberman tipped them off about the 2014 suspicions. Baggage pickup is going on. I wonder if hers has the Jeff Probst line (Survivor) "I got nothing for you" and no #.

Someone looked up her past results and discovered she has a 37 minute 5k and 2:38 half marathon to credit. Given those performances I couldn't see her accepting the invitation to run Boston - unless she was planning on using the T. The news media kept mentioning the Boston invite being pulled when in reality it was likely a non-issue.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Someone looked up her past results and discovered she has a 37 minute 5k and 2:38 half marathon to credit. Given those performances I couldn't see her accepting the invitation to run Boston - unless she was planning on using the T. The news media kept mentioning the Boston invite being pulled when in reality it was likely a non-issue.

Did you see the pic of her? She just looks like a little weasel, RW has a better article on it.

http://www.runnersworld.com/races/rosie-ruiz-of-st-louis-marathon-identified

Kendall Schler - Go Marathon 1

PRs