Beginners and Beyond

NorthCoast 12/24 Hour Endurance Run Sept 2013 (Read 366 times)

toyger

lilac, it would be great if you join us in the Fall! As Van said, this would be a nice follow up to 3 Days at the Fair. Excited!

Jen

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I figure it's only a matter of time before Sue or someone spills the beans and announces I signed up for the 12-hour option. It still remains to be seen whether I'll feel prepared enough to run. Any suggestions on what a reasonable goal would be? I wouldn't be satisfied with anything under 50K, but I wonder if 50 miles would be too ambitious.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRS

Chasing Muses

I figure it's only a matter of time before Sue or someone spills the beans and announces I signed up for the 12-hour option. It still remains to be seen whether I'll feel prepared enough to run. Any suggestions on what a reasonable goal would be? I wouldn't be satisfied with anything under 50K, but I wonder if 50 miles would be too ambitious.

Woohoo! Can't wait to see ya on the course, George!

Glad you signed up, George. Really, it's too early to be setting goals at this point. Would 50 miles be possible? Sure, but it depends on how much you're willing to work for it, and how intelligently you train.

After your winter season ends, start adding walking to your training. Check out the training plan on the Umstead100 website (yes, it's for 100M but it's not high mileage, and has one day of speedwork and one day of walking). Check out ultrunr.com too. Ask on the ultra subforum-a few of the posters have been on the National team. 

MTA:Not that people who haven't been on the National team aren't knowledgeable. IYKWIM. We might as well take advantage of their experiences since we're here.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Dang it - I wish I could have had the time off to head up to Cleveland for this, but as it stands right now, my work schedule has me working 12-hour night shifts all weekend. Pending some major schedule change or force majeure, I will not be able to be there.

Wasn't going to run anyway. I might be inclined to run a 2 or 3 hour race but 12 or 24 is out of the question at my level of fitness. But I would certainly enjoy the company and helping out for the race.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Bob! and I have been practicing by eating donuts.  Cool

toyger

Bob! and I have been practicing by eating donuts.  Cool

...and fudge! Big grin

Yay, George! Glad you signed up!

Jen

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Thanks, Sue. I've bookmarked those sites so I don't forget and even set up a separate Ultra Running folder for them. I'm surprised at how much speedwork is recommended after so many in the marathon forums downplay its role. I think that's my stength, though, and plan to build my training around it.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

I figure it's only a matter of time before Sue or someone spills the beans and announces I signed up for the 12-hour option.[...]

Yay George! Last year, the RD chose to only have the 12 hour runners start at the same time as the 24 hour runners, hence the 12 hour runners ran through the day and finished the evening before the 24 hour runners.

Just wondering what folks think about the 12 hour runners starting with the 24 hour runners or ending with the 24 hour runners? I'm not suggesting the RD is considering the latter or maybe even offering an option...just curious. As someone who did and is planning to do the 24, I would really enjoy seeing new folks on the course midway through and running in the darkest--and dreariest for me--hours. However, I can see 12 hour runners preferring to run in the day rather than night. Also, if there was a choice for 12 hour runnesr, not sure it it would be two separate 12 hour races or daytime runners would compete/compare times with nighttime runners.

Overcoming sarcoidosis one step at a time...

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

George, I think 50 miles is within your reach in 12 hours.  You are slightly faster than me at shorter distances (shorter, meaning 5K and 10K...I haven't raced anything track related since middle school) and I think I could run a trail 50 miler in around 12 hours.  So add in a flat road and I think this is a good goal for you.  The biggest thing is to just keep moving forward.  Eat while walking.  Keep yourself full of calories and fluid.  You're going to have a great crew and a great group of people there to support you.  I think you'll be surprised by your first ultra.

I am excited for you!

Running is dumb.

toyger

Yay George! Last year, the RD chose to only have the 12 hour runners start at the same time as the 24 hour runners, hence the 12 hour runners ran through the day and finished the evening before the 24 hour runners.

Just wondering what folks think about the 12 hour runners starting with the 24 hour runners or ending with the 24 hour runners? I'm not suggesting the RD is considering the latter or maybe even offering an option...just curious. As someone who did and is planning to do the 24, I would really enjoy seeing new folks on the course midway through and running in the darkest--and dreariest for me--hours. However, I can see 12 hour runners preferring to run in the day rather than night. Also, if there was a choice for 12 hour runnesr, not sure it it would be two separate 12 hour races or daytime runners would compete/compare times with nighttime runners.

I think it would be neat if we all ended together. I think I would have liked it when I ran the 12 hour option this year, despite the weather.

Jen

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I think it would be neat if we all ended together. I think I would have liked it when I ran the 12 hour option this year, despite the weather.

I don't think that's possible without interferring with the 24-hour runners. John would have to time an exact 9:00 PM start for the 12-hour runners and hope that a quick line-up and start could be pulled off without blocking the trail for any of the 24-hour runners.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

LRS

Chasing Muses

I think it would be neat if we all ended together.

Adolescent giggle...Adolescent giggle...Adolescent giggle

toyger

Adolescent giggle...Adolescent giggle...Adolescent giggle

Hehehe....Clown

George, yeah, it would be tricky. Not sure if/how it would work, but somehow they have figured out how to do it this way at 3 Days at the Fair for the various timed run options (6, 12, 24, 48, 72). Maybe the start is separated from the main course there?

Jen