Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race #28: H-E-B Alamo Fest 5K (Read 2 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2028%20HEB%20AlamoFest%205K%2010K%20Half?sort=2

Before My Start

My 28th race of 2018 was H-E-B AlamoFest 5K on April 15th.  There was also a 10K and the primary event, a half-marathon which I think had the most participants.  Start location was outside of The Alamo Dome - where the recent NCAA Final Four games were played - and the finish was inside The Alamodome.  This was my 'celebration' race of my running anniversary as, 35 years ago on April 15th I started my running life with my first run.  H-E-B is a Fortune 500 groceries-and-more company headquartered in San Antonio, with locations all over Texas and in some other states too. They are kind of like the "Texas Walmart" lol - only  a lot better, and especially in the customer service area, one heck of a lot better for sure than Wal-Mart could ever hope to be.  H-E-B is hugely community-oriented and assists with a lot of events and causes.  Start time for the half was 7:18, start for the 10K was 8:17, and for the 5K 8:27.   I arrived around 7 a.m, a little before the half folks got started, and wandered around taking some before photos. Weather was a bit chilly for we South Texans - 49 degrees in the early am - but by the time the races began to start the sun was out shining brightly, no wind, thank goodness, and clear blue skies, so layers were being shed and put into the bags at the gear station.

Various participants, volunteers, etc.

Nice view of Tower of Americas from the Dome plaza

Alamo Reenactors...they fired their guns to get the races started

Start line area

These two were volunteers at the medical tent

As you can see from the Palo Alto College group, it was quite bright out there on the plaza.

With my very speedy friend, Tanya.   When she does a 5K, she is usually first overall woman. She did the 10K at this event.

10K folks getting ready to start

Now the 5K folks are waiting for their turn to start

Wheelchair participants always amaze and inspire me with their determination and personal courage.

In the start crowd for the 5K

And we are off...

On The Course

All races started in front of the North side of The Alamo Dome, and just a little down from Sunset Station, an event venue just up from the stadium. We 5K folks started last.  Our course took us onto Commerce Street, the 'main drag" of downtown San Antonio, and then a turn onto Alamo Street, passing by The Alamo.  From there we made a turn onto Nolan Street (I think it was Nolan), heading back toward the general direction of  The Alamodome.  We had a bit of a short hill to climb up, which brought us to Cherry Street, which runs behind the back parking lots of the stadium. Right before these parking lots we turned right onto Montana, went down a short hill, then made a turn onto The Alamo Dome frontage road; another short uphill, then a downhill; turn into Parking Lot A of the Dome, and then a turn that took us down a tunnel and onto the floor of the Alamo Dome, with a short half loop on the floor to the finish line, and the stadium Jumbotron showed all the participants coming in and finishing.  I ended up finishing in 33:22, pretty consistent with what I did on my April 14 5K, 33:02.  I did not even check where I placed in my age group; pre-race I had seen several guys I know in my age group who all run their 5Ks in the 20s, so I knew I was not getting any age group award today. However, I did make my primary two race goals:  finish standing up and no ambulance waiting for me.  Good goals at my age, lol.

Going down Alamo Street

The Alamo

On Nolan Street (I think it was Nolan)

Into the sun and heading for the hill

Some of the speedier half folks were starting to catch up with us middle and back of the pack folks now.

At this point the race crowd was a mix of some of the participants from all 3 events

Saw this guy on the course a few times...so damn impressive. watching him move right along and especially on the uphill challenges..  This guy personifies 'never give up"

One of the half pace leaders

After that last photo, it was nonstop back to the finish.

After My Finish

Took a few photos of some people finishing and our MC, then wandered around the stadium floor finding the post-race goodies and taking some after-photos.

Our MC, Mark Purnell, who does a great job always.  Announcing the finishers into the finish.

Our finish line

Watching on the Jumbotron participants coming in

Including this impressive guy!  Just...wow

His son also did the course....congrats to you both, you two are awesome.

Two happy finishers with our 5K finisher medals

Half marathoner with the finisher medal for that event.

Thank you, volunteers.

And more.....lots of happy finishers, supporters, etc.

Bernadette, as usual, placed 1st in her age group in the 5K

My friend, Karen, happy 10K finisher

Thanks volunteers!

Epilogue

This is a very popular annual event each year so gets quite a turn-out for all 3 races. Weather was really good this year, unlike last year when the event had to be cancelled due to lightning, thunderstorms, etc.  Nice quality race shirts, nice finisher medals, nicely laid out course - the course for the half folks actually took them around nearby Joint Base San Antonio Fort Sam Houston this year - and H-E-B had boxes of post-race goodies right by the finish line so as you finished you made a turn and just walked down this line of tables taking what you wanted, very convenient, did not have to go and look for anything.  There were also several other vendors on the floor of the stadium, so kine of like a mini-expo with a whole variety of stuff.  Definitely an event worth doing if you are ever in the San Antonio area during April when this one is done. I would recommend it to others.

Mucho thanks to all the H-E-B people, the volunteers, law enforcement out there for us, all the sponsors and vendors, etc.,; everyone who made this event happen for we participants. Appreciate all you do so we runners and walkers can have this event.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt