Beginners and Beyond

Week 5 Penguins, popping the bubbles! (01/27-02/02) (Read 9 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day.  Yeah, apparently it's a thing.  I do appreciate bubble wrap, somehow popping it is quite soothing.  And at the end of January, with spring still a million days away, I could use some soothing!  When DH installed our new hot water heater, he didn't set the temperature quite high enough, so my bubble bath on Saturday was ... um ... lukewarm.  Disappointing.

Anyway, I twisted my knee tripping over a power cord yesterday, and it was all stiff and sore this morning.  So I pulled up a yoga video for knees, which helped, but bailed on biking because I don't think that would've gone well.  And today is about the only possible bike day this week -- it's supposed to rain tomorrow, then get frigid the rest of the week.  We'll see if the forecast changes ...

Gotta get my annual report for my evaluation done today, because I'm supposed to have it in to my chair by 5:00.  Busy busy!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Oh, I need that day which is definitely dedicated to me.  Ha.

It's nice to see my coworkers being back.  I have 6 miles tonight.

HopesMom, ugh at the knee.  Hoping it's nothing major.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

HM - lukewarm baths are horrid. I like mine as hot as I can stand. Sorry about the knee. I hope resting it helps.

D - I'm glad you have company at work again, but sorry you don't get a break.

RD here. The weather is about to turn really wintry, so I'll be on the TM all week, which isn't happiness on a 50 mile week. I'd like to run outside today, while the weather is still decent, but I'm too stiff from my long run yesterday to be able to do intervals today.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hiya, Penguins!  Ginny, how's the weather looking?  I've heard of early release from school for the local kids, but not sure if that's here in Richmond or further north.  I also have friends in Atlanta, and apparently they closed schools there today too.

Which confuses me a bit.  We're supposed to have rain.  Are they seriously going to have snow in Atlanta while we only have rain??

Anyway, my knee was fine this morning, so of course I tripped getting out of the shower.  Such a klutz!  But I did my full yoga routine anyway, because it wasn't bothering me, and it still isn't, so hopefully I'm all good.  No biking due to the aforementioned impending rain.  Quartet rehearsal tonight!

GinnyinPA

HM - I hope the knee continues to be okay. Our forecast is for 1-4 inches of snow today and tomorrow, then deep freeze for the next few days. So far, I just see gray skies, no snow. After walking Ben, if it still isn't snowing I would like to go run outside. I enjoy running in falling snow, if it isn't blinding.

Singer who runs a smidge

I did park my car on the top floor of the parking deck, hoping it would rain on it and wash some of the dirt off ...

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

OK, for you real winter folks, this is probably like nothing for you, but for we South Texas, it has been some crazy weather. Sunday near 70 degrees, and I had a really nice run on the San Antonio Riverwalk.  Monday was okay too, in the upper 60s...and then this morning it was in the 30s, just a bit above freezing with a really stiff wind blowing.  Right now it is sunny with blue skies and still chilly - for we South Texans anyway - at about 47 degrees.  Our high today will be around 50.  This is the way it has been going for the last few weeks - really nice for a few days and then the temp plunges around 30 degrees for a couple days and then it warms back up.   Mother Nature loves to play with us during our 'winters', and all this back-and-forth has a lot of folks getting the sniffles, coughing, etc., since Mother Nature can't seem to make up her damn mind whether she wants it warm or cold here - cold, as said, for we South Texans.  I feel for all you have who have to deal with the TRUE brutal winter in your areas.

Plan on running after work today when the winds die down and the sun will still be shining brightly, since I get off work at 4 pm.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sorry about your knee, HopesMom, hope that resolves quickly.

Wait till you're my age - I turn 65 in 2 weeks.  When I first get up in the morning, I don't know WHAT part is going to hurt for the day, lol.  And sometimes more than one. Getting older sure ain't for wimps! 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Scotty - true enough. I actually love variable weather. When I lived in Arizona, it would start getting warm, get warmer, get hot, get hotter, get hellish, eventually start cooling down, then gradually and steadily cool to comfortable winter temps with only occasional real cold. It was all very predictable. Here in PA there is a lot more variability. Really hot and really cold weather doesn't usually last more than a week or so before you get a break. In your case you get to wear shorts and sweaters in the same week. Nice.

HM are you getting rain or snow? If snow, the salt on the roads will undo any good from the falling precipitation.

I ended up running 11 in the snow. I'll get enough TM time this week.

Singer who runs a smidge

Looks like mostly rain, though they probably pre-treated just in case.  I'd thought the rain would be over by the time I left ... silly me ...

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I went to Pilates last night and that was it.  We'll see how I feel tonight for my run.  I ran 4 on Monday and was exhausted throughout.  Feeling much better today (BP is up so that's good.  One of the meds was giving me hypo something - where the BP goes super low.

HopesMom, hoping the knee is nothing major.

Scotty, your weather sounds much nicer than mine.

Ginny, nice 11.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  It's cold here, but not ridiculous.  I think ridiculous is supposed to hit tonight.  No biking, though -- it's definitely too chilly for that!  Plus it turns out that one of my roads is closed, so there's that.  Yoga this morning was all about outer hip stretches, which felt really good.  And yep, my knee is all better now.  Woo-hoo!

We had quartet rehearsal last night, so tonight I get to go home and relax.  Although since we had quartet rehearsal last night, I'm going to think that today is Thursday all day. 

Singer who runs a smidge

Howdy, Penguins!!  I skipped yoga this morning for no good reason, and of course I'm not biking when the high is below freezing, so I'm having quite the lazy day.  Chorus will be my exercise for the day!

DH turned up the temperature on the hot water heater (newly installed, needed to get the temp above Legionnaire's disease level), so I had a nice hot bubble bath last night.  It's the little things in life! 

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I ran 8 last night at the hot and humid gym and they went great.  Hoping my running stays like that.  5-6 miles at some point there.

HopesMom, glad you were able to get a hot shower/bath!

Damaris

Fundraising Page