Beginners and Beyond

Another HM training question (Read 42 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

I was initially looking at 2 races, one March 28 and the second May 9. So I started a 16 week plan, ending May 9, but really would be missing much of the next to last week due to vacation. Yesterday I registered for a totally different half on April 12. When life sends you a free hotel offer, it's a sign to look for a race. Even better when said race starts & ends at the free hotel 

I need to cut 4 weeks out of the middle of Hudson's half marathon level 1 plan.  I am not following it word-for-word, more using it as a template (ie. skipping hill sprints when I never can get warm). Would it make most sense to strike the weeks with hill intervals or sub in different intervals (books uses time based)? The half I registered for is totally flat, unless there is a ramp or something on & off the boardwalk. Will hill intervals serve any benefit to a flat race?  I can sort of see it being a benefit of added resistance, since chances are the race will be windy. 4 years of living on the eastern shore of MD during college taught me that the trade off to no hills is near constant winds.

As an example, the hill interval workouts start at 45 seconds and go to 3 minutes (1.5 min on flat, 1.5 min uphill). Usually 6 reps.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

IMO

I would follow the plan and not strike 4 weeks out.  Instead treat the March and April Half marathons as extended training runs.

ie: run them on fatigued legs with *NO* taper.

Your lost week of vacation prior to the May half should be fine provided you don't put on a ton of vacation weight.

Treat your May hm as a goal race.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

In my opinion, hills always help. If the race is flat it will seem "easy" to you because you have run so many hills. Kind of like how a batter swings a heavy lead pipe or puts a doughnut on his bat before hitting. The bat "feels" lighter. At least that's the way I look at it.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I have been very wary from the start to treat the May race as a goal race. May weather in MD is totally unpredictable. Last year it was 75-80 and humid for this half. I was thanking my lucky stars that I decided not to do it because DH went to a golf fundraiser for our neighbor. The March & April races seem more conducive to a PR, although my PR is on the May race (2:10) and my training for it was almost non-existant.

Here's a little about each course:

March race is on a rail trail and is out & back. First & last km is on a road with rolling hills, trail trail is slight uphill on the out

April race-totally flat, probably windy

May race 1025 ft elevation gain

LRB

I wish I could train on hills more than I do and I race almost exclusively on flatland.

I took a hilly run last summer  while visiting my aunt in Ohio and felt absolutely awesome! Going uphill that is, the bigger downhills were scarier than heck!

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Hmm based off your course descriptions I tend to agree that the May race would not be the optimum goal race.

However, unless I read incorrectly your plan seems to be timed for that race.

In my opinion (opinion is key) the plan and race(s) timing is such that if you taper, race and recover for each one, I am not sure you will be getting a ton of benefit from any particular part of the plan.

Don't misunderstand, the running will help in general. But the breaks mean you will not improve much from the plan.

*shrug*

If I were in your shoes, I would treat all 3 races as training and go pick a nice goal race to compete in after May.

Half Crazy K 2.0

After May is kinda tough in this area--it is pretty rare to find a half in Maryland from June-September.

I was totally undecided on any of the races. I'm not registered for the March or May races, neither sell out, so I could see what the weather was supposed to be. It seems like that weekend in March is a time for nor'easters or snow, no thanks.

I am thinking if the weather is decent in March, I may do that one as a long run.