Beginners and Beyond

Return to Sanity Monday Penguins (Read 3 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Regarding theory, I'm doing all my learning from musictheory.net, at least so far.  Eventually I'll also pick up the theory module from Sweet Adelines International, so that I know specifically what I need to know for barbershop.  A textbook would be way too intimidating!!

So believe it or not, I had no idea what was planned for my hometown on Saturday.  I went to my director's house to help give a few voice lessons, which was easily as instructive for me as for them.  And then I hopped in the car with my DH to go to the remembrance gathering for my friend's murdered husband.  On the way, we got a call from my director, who was also going and driving a friend.  She'd gotten into an accident and needed us to come for moral support, which we gladly did.  Luckily we were only a few miles out from their location when we got the call.  So after making sure they were ok, cleaning out her car, watching the wrecker guys load it up, and checking with the state trooper, we all went off to the gathering, which was a lovely time of storytelling and generally just being with each other.  Then we drove our director home (the other lady went with some other friends who lived a little closer).  Then I checked FB and discovered the crazy that was Cville.

I wrote this Sunday afternoon:

Some musings: for personal reasons, my attention yesterday was not on the events in my hometown. I didn't tune in until yesterday evening. But I can tell you some things about Charlottesville. Hate is not our story. Fear is not our story. Murder is not our story. There are problems here, we have issues with our neighbors, and we wrestle with tough problems. Nobody is perfect. But our story is churches sharing Thanksgiving dinners together. It's city officials who are black, white, and probably purple if it were possible. Our story is gay, straight, cis, trans. Our story is diverse, and the differences among us are what make us beautiful. One angry day of outsiders is not our story. We are Charlottesville.

So there!!

Then later Sunday afternoon DH and I went to see a local play, which was going gangbusters until the fire alarm during the middle of the second act required evacuation of the building.  It turned out to be nothing, so we all trooped back in to see the end of the show, which was awesome, and really gutsy of the cast and crew to charge on ahead.

So I am (hopefully) returning to sanity today.  Went for a walk with DH this morning.  How's everybody else?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

I hope sanity returns soon. We live in crazy times.

I fell last week while doing a trail run and injured my left rib area. I don't think anything is broken, but it's badly enough bruised it hurts to breathe, blow my nose, cough, etc. I tried running a couple of times but didn't last a minute before the pain stopped me. I can walk okay, which helps me hold on to my sanity, more or less. Today the pain level is down so I will try again this afternoon to do a short run.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have OTF and maybe 2-3 miles before it.

Ugh, Hope.  Hoping sanity comes back there.  We live in backwards times, seems like.

Ginny, Ugh, I am still wondering if you have a rib out of place (not cracked, just off).  Hoping you feel better soon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

I went for a run between rain showers this afternoon. Pain was low level for the first 5 miles, then ramped up the last mile and a half. Still, I had to take advantage of the post-rain coolness (73!)  D - I think I just bruised the muscles over my ribs. Ice helped and lots of Advil. Every day has been just a little better.