Beginners and Beyond

Hey Sole Train! (Read 355 times)

delicate flower

runninggirl, sorry to hear about the pinball-like rolled ankle experience.  I rolled my ankles more times than I can count from playing organized street hockey for many years.  I'm pretty sure mine are just rubber bands now.  A rolled ankle tends to heal quickly as long as there is no damage.

JBJ, take care of the IT band.  Mine flared up early in 2012 and that was the only running injury I have been unable to run through.  I had to DNS two races thanks to that.  But, rest up and come back slowly and you'll be fine.

Kathlees, yikes...sorry to hear about your husband.  That is scary.  All my best to him for a speedy recovery.

Me, I'm just chug chug chugging along.

<3

Phil - thanks for the well wishes. Here's hoping runninggirl and jbj recover swiftly and completely. This morning's run was invigorating and delightful! I think the cold weather is my favorite time to run.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

delicate flower

Phil - thanks for the well wishes. Here's hoping runninggirl and jbj recover swiftly and completely. This morning's run was invigorating and delightful! I think the cold weather is my favorite time to run.

Absolutely!  I love it when it's just cold enough to need track pants and a light jacket.  Paces are fast in the cold and there are NO BUGS.

<3

slowrunningjulie

Kathleen, I am sorry to hear about your hubby. I hope he is better soon.

Runninggirl, take it easy with that ankle!

Towpath is done, Philly is this weekend! I fly out on Friday. The weather forecast looks great and I am excited! I haven't been running much between the two marathons, but apparently that is what I am suppose to do - rest/taper.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

Julie, how was your marathon? I can't even imagine what that is like. Must be an incredible experience. I've got my a 5k this weekend that I'll run in. Last one was this past spring that I walked. I know I can ruin the whole thing, but my time won't be much. This time last year I was thrilled with a sub 30. Realistically, I'm hoping for sub 34. What will be really fun is my son, his wife, and oldest daughter (her first) will be running too.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Hi Team,

What a lovely day for a 5K in Kansas. Sunny, no wind and 14 degrees. Except for the cold fingers before the race, it really was pretty nice. Sounds crazy, I know. Met my sub :34 goal with a 33:40 time. Best part was running with my family and hearing my grand daughters cheer me on at the end. Love it.

Have a great week everyone. Starting a 30 day challenge with my daughters to work out every day for 30 days -- recovery walking counts. Pretty bushed after a big weekend -- we celebrated Thanksgiving early yesterday and had a full house with all our kids/spouses and grandkids. That's 18 right there! Lots of fun but tons of work. Needless to say, I'll have to do some heavy duty self-talk when the alarm goes off at 5:45. UGH. I guess day 2 is too early to complain.

Next week I promise to post more than 5 miles.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Dad on the run.

Great job on hitting your sub 34 mins. I always love a race where I perform as good as or better than my goal! Also sounds like a fun Thanksgiving get together!

Hi Team,

What a lovely day for a 5K in Kansas. Sunny, no wind and 14 degrees. Except for the cold fingers before the race, it really was pretty nice. Sounds crazy, I know. Met my sub :34 goal with a 33:40 time. Best part was running with my family and hearing my grand daughters cheer me on at the end. Love it.

Have a great week everyone. Starting a 30 day challenge with my daughters to work out every day for 30 days -- recovery walking counts. Pretty bushed after a big weekend -- we celebrated Thanksgiving early yesterday and had a full house with all our kids/spouses and grandkids. That's 18 right there! Lots of fun but tons of work. Needless to say, I'll have to do some heavy duty self-talk when the alarm goes off at 5:45. UGH. I guess day 2 is too early to complain.

Next week I promise to post more than 5 miles.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

slowrunningjulie

Hello everyone! Philly was great. I met up with a cousin of mine and we walked to the start line together. He is much faster than I am, but thanks to the fact that the second half of the race is out and back, I got to see him out on the course.

I took the week off last week and was really glad for it this past weekend - it was in the 30's and pouring rain! Felt good to be inside with a cup of coffee. This week I start my next training cycle - I plan to run a 30K on January 4, the Austin Marathon on Feb. 17 and the Little Rock marathon on March 1. Whoo hooo! Good times.

Kathleen, congratulations on meeting your goal! How is your 30 day challenge coming along?

Who is doing a Turkey Trot for Thanksgiving? I am running a five miler - just an easy jog with my dad. It's a nice way to stimulate the appetite.

Upcoming:

Happy Thanksgiving team! I hope everyone had a grand day with family and friends. I started the day with a short slow run. The roads were empty and the weather perfect! So far been sticking to my challenge. Think I'm going to switch it up and go for the Holiday running steak. Any other takers? Nice to hear how everyone's doing. Thanks jb and Julie.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Way to go team! We were in fourth position his week. Woohoo!

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Hey Guys and Gals? How's it going lately? Not to sound twisted, but I've been enjoying the beautiful Kansas winter. Last week I ran in sub-zero temps and crossed some imaginary running line. I put my name on a list to run the Holiday Streak from Thanksgiving to New Year's. Ran 10 days straight - longest ever for me, before getting hit with a bug this past weekend. Forced me down for two days, but I hit "reset" and got back out tonight.

Hope this finds everyone making the most out of their winter workouts!

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

delicate flower

Sounds like you're running well, Kathleen!  Good stuff!  Keep it up.  Smile  Sorry about the bug though.

I ran a 5K this past Sunday in 20:42.  I was hoping to go sub-20 for the first time, but I am just not there yet.  Still a 31 second PR though, which I am very happy with.  I'll keep working towards that sub-20.

<3

slowrunningjulie

Phil, I think sub 20 is totally within your reach. You are very close!

It is cold! Brrrr!

Upcoming:

Dad on the run.

Hey team. Still on the injured reserve here. I'm taking it slow and lastnight was my first time out in a month. I've pretty much restarted the c25k. I know i haven't lost much but I'm afraid that if I don't have a plan to follow I will get out there and reinjure myself doing TMTS.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Great job!

Sounds like you're running well, Kathleen!  Good stuff!  Keep it up.  Smile  Sorry about the bug though.

I ran a 5K this past Sunday in 20:42.  I was hoping to go sub-20 for the first time, but I am just not there yet.  Still a 31 second PR though, which I am very happy with.  I'll keep working towards that sub-20.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K