Beginners and Beyond

Closed out 2012 with an AG win :) Beat the Ball 5K RR (Read 320 times)

Mmmmm...beer

Official results were posted, 17th overall out of 394 runners. Smile

Supersono, thanks!

jneilt, don't have a plan, I just get out there and run.  All of my runs right now are easy, I just go out and run at whatever pace feels comfortable for that day, sometimes it's slow, sometimes it's fast if my legs are feeling strong.  Gonna start doing some tempo runs and intervals tho, now that I have a Garmin and can track my pace.

ninian, thanks!  I only started running in April of this year, what you see in my log is all the running I've done.  I ramped up faster than most would recommend, but I've been able to do it without injury, cutting back when needed and just taking it as it comes.  I've also dropped 87lbs in the process (well, technically 47lbs since I started running, 40 of that was from Jan-Apr), which has no doubt helped me pick up some speed.

irishguy, thanks!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Coastal

Congrats on the weight loss.  Oh, yeah, congrats on the race!

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Coastal!  I'm extremely happy with my weight loss, it's completely changed my life.  Guess I can throw this pic up again. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Don't call me Buttercup!

Holy speed, Batman!  Great job!! =)   Congrats on the AG award!    And wow, what a difference - well done on the weight loss, too!

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Di!  Now if I can just control the speed and dole it out evenly over 3.1 miles, I'll be doing better lol

-Dave

My running blog

No more marathons

You know Dave, there are a couple of things that point to some fast times in your very near future.  You started the year in April with 25 miles.  You doubled that in May, just about doubled again in June, then did a steady progression upwards to almost 225 in December.  At the same time, you increased your speed of those workouts from more than 9 minutes per mile to the low 8s and high 7s.  On top of that you ran an (unintentional ???) marathon in early December.  Now, your last few weeks you've seriously cut back on your miles.  That means you are finally allowing your body to recover from the ever increasing amounts of stress that you have laid on it.  I won't be totally surprised to hear that you get your sub 20 5K in the midst of your 10K this weekend.  Run a smart race.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Mmmmm...beer

You know Dave, there are a couple of things that point to some fast times in your very near future.  You started the year in April with 25 miles.  You doubled that in May, just about doubled again in June, then did a steady progression upwards to almost 225 in December.  At the same time, you increased your speed of those workouts from more than 9 minutes per mile to the low 8s and high 7s.  On top of that you ran an (unintentional ???) marathon in early December.  Now, your last few weeks you've seriously cut back on your miles.  That means you are finally allowing your body to recover from the ever increasing amounts of stress that you have laid on it.  I won't be totally surprised to hear that you get your sub 20 5K in the midst of your 10K this weekend.  Run a smart race.

Excellent points Don, I've always only thought of my recovery on a run to run basis, without looking at the whole scope of what months of continued increases do to your body.  Saturday's 10k will be a good chance for it, it's about as fast of an outdoor course as you can get, sea level, perfectly flat and straight out and back route, shielded by trees on both sides.

-Dave

My running blog

Philliefan33

Dave -- great race....awesome Quads!!!

Who knew such a buff body was hiding under the chubby guy in the picture on the left?

Mmmmm...beer

So I'm uploading the week's runs into Garmin Connect (I didn't upload my race here, just manually entered my time), and I noticed some interesting things about my Garmin's record of the race.  It lists the course as 3.2 miles, and says my 5k record is 19:58.  Now I believe that your official time is your official time, but it is still nice to see, next step is to get that number up on the clock. Smile

It also shows that my fastest pace during the race was 5:24, and I was running 5:24-5:33 for about the first 1/4 mile.  Yeah, went out way too fast. lol

-Dave

My running blog

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice bling, Dave, and nice photos!  Congrats on your AG award too!   Wow, you are speedy!

Dang, amazing progress for both your running and your weight loss, big kudos to you!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks Coastal!  I'm extremely happy with my weight loss, it's completely changed my life.  Guess I can throw this pic up again. Smile

What a transformation Dave, you look great.......keep it up..........I've been on the weight loss journey as well and seeing people like yourself is inspirational.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

Mmmmm...beer

PF, thanks!  I never would have guessed it, that's for sure!  Hard to believe that I might actually have a six pack for the beach this summer...for the first time ever!!  Guess sometimes you can teach an old dog new tricks, huh? Smile

Thanks Scotty!!  It's been a fun ride, and I feel like I'm just getting started.

Scott, thanks, and good luck to you with your weight loss!  It's hands down the best thing I've ever done for myself, it's changed every part of my life for the better.

-Dave

My running blog

Nevrgivup

Congrats Dave! That is an awesome way to end the year.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

workinprogress11

Great job on the race and many congratulations on all of the progress you've made.

MrNamtor

didn't realize you were that fast!