Beginners and Beyond

IceFest Weekend Penguins (Read 10 times)

GinnyinPA

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

GinnyinPA

It's the weekend of Chambersburg's annual Ice Festival, when dozens of ice sculptures are displayed downtown to bring foot traffic to Main Street. There's an ice slide, chili cook-off, and fair foods.  I'm not sure we'll get to the main events, but the ice sculptures usually last a while, so at least we'll get to see those.  For once, it's actually cold enough there will be minimal melting.  One year it was around 60, which didn't feel at all right.

Anyhow, I'm heading out shortly for my long run. The feels like is in the 20s, which means I'll probably end up overdressed, again.

PADRunner

6 miles on the trail this morning. I went to the Asian Market afterwards a lot of activities going on there today.

Happy Lunar New Year!

Zelanie

We are in Olympia this morning, where I ran 6.66 around the lake this morning. We're heading up to the Seattle area to celebrate more birthdays.

Ginny, I remember your posts about the ice festival before! Will you tell us about your favorite sculptures this year?

GinnyinPA

Z - By the time we got there this afternoon, most of the sculptures were starting to melt, mostly thanks to a lot of little hands touching them.  There were a lot that were intended for photos, so you had angels that people could stand behind to have their faces over the wings, or Eskimos with moose where you put your face in the Eskimo parka, or big ice thrones with butterflies.  There were birds and fish and some really nicely carved suns and flowers.  The sculptures are sponsored by businesses, so you had a tooth with toothbrush that was sponsored by a dentist, or a giant strawberry outside the Candy Kitchen that sells chocolate covered strawberries or a diamond ring outside a jewelry store.  Yesterday thee was a cake decorating contest with a game theme.  The photos on FB made me think of your cakes.

I hope to do a recovery run later, after my stomach settles down after eating a huge funnel cake.  Too much grease, but the first half tasted good.