Beginners and Beyond

Anyone else waiting to hear on their status for NYC 2014? (Read 76 times)

happylily

I haven't had the medical issues you have, but I feel the same way. I love to travel and I love to run, so for me, these destination marathons are a perfect fit. It's not a cheap hobby but I love it.

Yes! Travelling and running/racing are some of the two most exciting things of life!  (for you and me, anyway)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Yes! Travelling and running/racing are some of the two most exciting things of life!  (for you and me, anyway)

Hey I traveled for my first half and first marathon.  Granted it was only a three hour and six hour drive respectively but still, I am a race traveler too dammit. 

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I've slept in my car so I could run a (HM) race. Smile

My first Marathon was a few hours away. 2 of my last 3 HMs were out of state.

- Andrew

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm starting to think I'm the only person on the planet who doesn't want to do this race, and it's my "hometown marathon." 

Not at all. I have no desire to run it. With the exception of Boston, I have no desire to run any races with tens of thousands of runners. Generally my limit is about 2000 runners, but I will make exceptions for races I consider special. The NYC Marathon does not meet those criteria.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

I can see why some people would not want to run NYC. Some people do not like the city (why is a mystery to me. I find it fascinating). Some people do not like crowds. I don't like crowds in general, but when I ran Chicago, it really felt like 40,000 runners and one amazing city came together to make one big entity. It was energizing. I'm hoping for the same kind of human energy on Nov. 2nd, in a city different from Chicago, but just as rich in stories to tell.  This will only be my 5th "big" marathon on the 15 I will have run by then. All the others ranged from 80 to 900 participants only. I like small events also very much, for different reasons.

bluerun

Super B****

I can see why some people would not want to run NYC. Some people do not like the city (why is a mystery to me. I find it fascinating). Some people do not like crowds. I don't like crowds in general, but when I ran Chicago, it really felt like 40,000 runners and one amazing city came together to make one big entity. It was energizing. I'm hoping for the same kind of human energy on Nov. 2nd, in a city different from Chicago, but just as rich in stories to tell.  This will only be my 5th "big" marathon on the 15 I will have run by then. All the others ranged from 80 to 900 participants only. I like small events also very much, for different reasons.

Oh, no, I love the city.  And after my first HM (had to fly to get there, came home in a wheelchair, developed an "I do not travel for races" policy as a result), I'm kind of limited in my marathon options if I don't want to do NYCM.  But I just... don't.

The strange thing is, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to doing Chicago.  So it's not JUST the size, even though I'd much prefer a smaller race.

Obviously, I'm just weird.  But everyone else can do it and have fun. 

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

slowrunningjulie

I kind of use big city races as a way to tour the city. I haven't been to NYC since I was five years old and don't really have a desire to visit. So I view running the marathon as kind of a way to experience the city and see how it views itself. Since I am not overly concerned with time, big crowds of runners don't bother me. That being said, I do also enjoy small races. They are friendly and laid back and some are very scenic. Just a different kind of experience and both are worthwhile, in my book.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

LRB

I haven't been to NYC since I was five years old and don't really have a desire to visit.

I have never been to New York and was not in a huge hurry to get there but this event has my name written all over it.

I have run small events (less than 100) and large (25,000+) and logistical issues aside (parking, lodging, corral size etc.), I much prefer the electricity of the larger races.

They do suck if you have to pee in close proximity to the race start though.

Still no charge or e-mail.

bluerun

Super B****

I haven't been to NYC since I was five years old and don't really have a desire to visit.

Hey, now... you can dis the race, but don't dis the city! 

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

happylily

Hey, now... you can dis the race, but don't dis the city! 

Walking for a day through NYC is like trekking all over the globe. It is a beautiful city with many different faces.

Docket_Rocket

I am never lucky in anything, yet I've gotten in 2 out of the 3 times I've tried.  Loved both times I ran it.

Hope everybody gets in!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

Just received this 2 minutes ago. Maybe Julie and Basya should check their emails now.

Congratulations, Julie! You're in.
                            Welcome to the Class of 2014, TCS New York City Marathoner!

You'll be on a runner's journey through the five boroughs of New York City. The TCS New York City Marathon is the ultimate celebration of what makes each borough unique, inspiring, and an amazing place to get out and get moving!

Kick off your marathon season—there's a lot you can do to get started now!

I have nothing.

happylily

Basya, you will receive news one way or another by the end of the day.

From the website:

All applicants who have provided a valid email address should be notified via email by the end of the day today, Wednesday March 26, 2014, regardless of their status (accepted or not).