Beginners and Beyond

Anyone else waiting to hear on their status for NYC 2014? (Read 76 times)

I just received the e-mail. My name wasn't selected. Ph, well, I guess that I'll probably do the Athens Classic, instead.

Oh, while waiting, I did push-ups an ab work.

happylily

I just received the e-mail. My name wasn't selected. Ph, well, I guess that I'll probably do the Athens Classic, instead.

Oh, while waiting, I did push-ups an ab work.

Athens as in Athens Greece? Uh, wanna trade places? 

I would have liked a chance to meet you, though. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Lily, yes, that AthensSmile

Do Jerusalem with me next year.

happylily

Lily, yes, that AthensSmile

Do Jerusalem with me next year.

If my SO has not kicked me out for causing our financial ruin by then, I promise I will!  I think he would love to go to Israel, actually.

Lily, does SO run?

happylily

Lily, does SO run?

He has trained in the past for a few 5ks. 10 weeks of 20 miles here and there. He ran a 2:10 half-marathon on zero training because I forced him to.  But he is not consistent, for lack of time and motivation. He started again two weeks ago, after he realized that the 5lbs he recently gained wasn't due to weight lifting, by the look of his waist. 

Village people

Staying out of NYC is on my bucket list

+100

Docket_Rocket

Sorry you did not get in, Basya.  But I would second the Athens choice!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Congrats Lily!

Basya - Athens, cool.  Do it!

RSX

I can see why some people would not want to run NYC. Some people do not like the city (why is a mystery to me. I find it fascinating). Some people do not like crowds. I don't like crowds in general, but when I ran Chicago, it really felt like 40,000 runners and one amazing city came together to make one big entity. It was energizing. I'm hoping for the same kind of human energy on Nov. 2nd, in a city different from Chicago, but just as rich in stories to tell.  This will only be my 5th "big" marathon on the 15 I will have run by then. All the others ranged from 80 to 900 participants only. I like small events also very much, for different reasons.

I'm in that camp. Boston is crowded which is nearby, and I'm used to that which is fine but NYC seems much worse to me anyway in that regard. Whenever I have gone in the past I was part of groups, or friends who knew their way around. Last summer a wrong turn off the GW Bridge didn't make me like it any better.

RSX

Just received this 2 minutes ago. Maybe Julie and Basya should check their emails now.

Congratulations, Julie! You're in.
                        Welcome to the Class of 2014, TCS New York City Marathoner!

You'll be on a runner's journey through the five boroughs of New York City. The TCS New York City Marathon is the ultimate celebration of what makes each borough unique, inspiring, and an amazing place to get out and get moving!

Kick off your marathon season—there's a lot you can do to get started now!

Who the Hell is Julie?

Lily, there's also a half and a 10K the same day in Jerusalem. If you an SO can, so it. It's an amazing experience. The volunteers and residents are the most enthusiastic and supportive I've encountered, so far.

And the food. The food!

slowrunningjulie

Rejected. Oh well, October and November are very busy months for marathons. I am thinking about Hartford as a backup. My grandmother lives in CT and I could go visit her while I am in town.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

LRB

Just came across this:

"Of the 77,087 applications submitted prior to the March 18 deadline, 9,170 were chosen for the race."

That is the equivalent of winning the lottery!  It went on to read the following:

"The rest of the field will be filled through guaranteed spots, such as time qualifiers, failed attempts at earning a spot the last three years, and those runners who were affected by the 2012 cancellation of the race. Professional runners and charity runners will make up the remainder of the field."

Don't call me Buttercup!

Rejected. Oh well, October and November are very busy months for marathons. I am thinking about Hartford as a backup. My grandmother lives in CT and I could go visit her while I am in town.

Not rejected!  Just not selected.  Totally different. ;-)

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to!