Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race 71: Hero Fest 5K and 10K supporting Firefighters (Read 3 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20race%20reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2071%20Hero%20Fest%205K%20and%2010K?sort=2

Full report below.    

BEFORE MY START

My 71st race of 2018 was the Hero Fest 5K on October 7 at Mission County Park in San Antonio.  There was also a 10K.  This event supports a fund that helps firefighters who have cancer.  This is a very popular local event and usually has a really good turnout.  Mission Park is a nice venue, a park along the Mission Reach part of the San Antonio Riverwalk.   Start time of 8:30 a.m., so I arrived a bit after 7, with plenty of time to get my timing chip and then wander around and get a few pre-start photos.

Welcome to the Hero Fest 5K, 10k, and Kids Run

photo IMG_0680_zpsz7ocfp9v.jpg

In memory of those no longer with us...

photo IMG_0654_zpswhglzulv.jpg

A travel bus was also there with this on the side of it

photo IMG_0655_zpsyd5glzxv.jpg

With my tye-dyed bearded old hippy freak good friend Don.

photo IMG_0622_zpstbdf8tc8.jpg

Various volunteers, participants, etc.

Mrs. Claus and Santa took a break from preparing from the upcoming season and graced us with their presence. Here with a friend.

photo IMG_0623_zpsrdxmcchn.jpg

photo IMG_0616_zpsacnob4b3.jpg

photo IMG_0617_zpsdpqmlwqc.jpg

photo IMG_0618_zpsjl3qjprv.jpg

photo IMG_0620_zpssrfphh3l.jpg

photo IMG_0624_zpsqpzcbxe1.jpg

photo IMG_0625_zpsfqwgl9ga.jpg

Firefighter Academy cadets

photo IMG_0626_zpspjifhmiy.jpg

photo IMG_0628_zpsfm0ikcva.jpg

photo IMG_0629_zpsdublglkz.jpg

photo IMG_0630_zpskwcrsiou.jpg

photo IMG_0631_zps4ulkm5fu.jpg

Tent of our MC Mark Purnell

photo IMG_0632_zpstbulaich.jpg

Who was there doing his usual great announcing job

photo IMG_0633_zpsc4cxes7f.jpg

Getting ready to start.

photo IMG_0634_zps1uf41kfu.jpg

ON THE COURSE

There is a very scenic 5K/10K running route along the Riverwalk by Mission County Park but the trails are pretty narrow; so with the numbers this race has, the event was done on nearby wide roads for the safety of participants.   Both the 10K and the 5K were out-and-back routes and everyone started together.  I was feeling pretty good for this one and ended up doing a 34:06 chip time finish, putting me 5th in my 10-year age group of 60 – 69 men.  There are some speedy old guys in my age group, the first 3 placers all finished in the 20s.

Black bib numbers were 5K people, red 10K people.

photo IMG_0636_zpslnij3bao.jpg

photo IMG_0637_zpsoklcrhyp.jpg

photo IMG_0638_zpsbliolcwa.jpg

photo IMG_0639_zpsdo10sil3.jpg

photo IMG_0640_zpsl1zh1eu7.jpg

photo IMG_0641_zps5nk68bvz.jpg

This was the overall 5K winner, who finished in 18-something.  Here already heading back to the finish.

photo IMG_0642_zpsy600l9ay.jpg

This speedy kid was 2nd overall for the 5K.

photo IMG_0643_zpsl9jgofr5.jpg

I have made the turn-round point for the 5K and am heading back the way I came out.

photo IMG_0644_zpspsxvl08i.jpg

photo IMG_0645_zpsultqwql2.jpg

Looking behind me.  The turnround for the 5K was right around that curve in the road.  The 10K folks, of course, went farther out.

photo IMG_0646_zpsbcrbyu04.jpg

photo IMG_0647_zpsblb13mcw.jpg

We had a few inclines out-and-back, nothing you could really call a hill.  Some dark skies above too threatening to let loose on us, but Mother Nature was patient and it did not rain for the race or the post-race activities.

photo IMG_0648_zps6avofl6y.jpg

photo IMG_0649_zpskkguppdi.jpg

photo IMG_0650_zpsh8ntfwuv.jpg

photo IMG_0651_zpsevsbslf8.jpg

photo IMG_0652_zpskfcz9bjb.jpg

After that last photo, nonstop running for the last 1.2 miles back to the finish.

AFTER MY FINISH

Mission County Park is a great park with multiple facilities, including covered pavilions, plenty of restrooms, and even a kitchen building.  In a couple of the pavilions are these huge fans – called Big Ass Fans, lol, their brand name – and so a great place to sit and drink your water post-race and relax and cool down, getting that nice big breeze from these overhead big ass fans.  With Mother Nature once again threatening us with more rain – we had a mix of sun and dark clouds - the temp was around 79 when we started on the routes and it was VERY humid.   So that fan breeze felt great post-race.  After I drank my water, ate my banana, and got cooled down a bit, it was time for a cold one and wandering around to get some post-race photos.

With friend Bernadette post-race..  Umm, Bernadette...camera is going...   

photo IMG_0668_zpsrf2ejf9e.jpg

There you go.....

photo IMG_0669_zpsg5seolfr.jpg

photo IMG_0674_zps7ey4ghdo.jpg

Our MC still going strong

photo IMG_0656_zpsgso6hk6t.jpg

The speedy kid who was 2nd overall for the 5K, with his family.  I smell future running scholarship for this kid.

photo IMG_0667_zpsd3dbldtw.jpg

photo IMG_0657_zpsrqdi8qcy.jpg

photo IMG_0658_zpsdik9gqkh.jpg

Important guys...the beer server volunteers!

photo IMG_0660_zpswpyi9xkh.jpg

photo IMG_0661_zpsvtslx3uv.jpg

photo IMG_0662_zpsv4ihsdmx.jpg

photo IMG_0663_zpsfxefdyv6.jpg

My speedy friend, Bill (left) was first overall Master's men for the 10K

photo IMG_0664_zpssstqryys.jpg

photo IMG_0665_zpsrovrjrh1.jpg

photo IMG_0666_zps2zoq6edz.jpg

photo IMG_0672_zpsjbkn5czt.jpg

photo IMG_0670_zps9ms2dmuv.jpg

Thank you, EMTs....riding the course to make sure all are okay

photo IMG_0671_zpsrvy5wkpb.jpg

Three age-group placers...Bernadette first in hers, Don 3rd in his, other young lady first in hers.  photo IMG_0675_zpslfcab9cc.jpg

10K age group winners

photo IMG_0676_zpsccj8kr19.jpg

Terry, first in her age group and with her finisher medal too

photo IMG_0679_zpswlxzqkad.jpg

Bill, 1st overall Masters Male...enjoy the helmet!

photo IMG_0677_zps3ksrilfv.jpg

photo IMG_0678_zpsbmapw5ux.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is one of my favorite events of the year, supporting fellow uniformed "brothers-and-sisters".    Done for a good cause, always well-organized and at a nice venue.  The last times I’ve done this one the event was held at Comanche Park, another great park with great facilities, but this year it was moved to Mission County Park for whatever reason.  All good, Mission County Park is also a great facility too.  There were all kinds of post-race goodies for this one, including sausage wraps, cold beer and other drinks, funnel cakes, popsicles, various fruits, finisher medals for all participants, and more.  Nice quality race shirts too.   Unique awards for the first overall finishers for Men, Women, and Men’s Masters and Women’s Masters – a fire helmet which the winners get to keep.

Mucho thanks to everyone out there who made this one happen for we participants; all the volunteers, sponsors/vendors and law enforcement an firefighters and EMT folks out there for us, and anyone else I may not have mentioned here who were out there for us.   Also, cadets from both the fire academy and police academy were present and those folks were pretty impressive and speedy runners.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt