Beginners and Beyond

Question about Pain Tolerance (Read 75 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Or something like that, but my question is this:

Are there or is there certain muscles or spots that when sore, tight, achy, you can't seem to handle as much compared to other spots?

For example, I can still run when dealing with my calves being tight or achy, or my lower quads, knees or IT band, or hamstrings or glutes.

But for some reason this tightness in my groin, upper quads or abductors is really tough and has made it rather difficult.

What are your "weak" or sensitive spots?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

bluerun

Super B****

It's not about pain tolerance, really... more a function of the fact that I've fractured my pelvis so many times.  But when something feels "off" there, I'm a lot more likely to pay attention than any other body part.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

delicate flower

As long as my gait isn't affected, I'll run through anything, you know, because running through pain will make it go away eventually.  The only injury that stopped me in my tracks was a flared up ITB in the knee.

<3

onemile

As long as my gait isn't affected, I'll run through anything, you know, because running through pain will make it go away eventually.  The only injury that stopped me in my tracks was a flared up ITB in the knee.

Pretty much this. Plus a calf injury (x2). I couldn't even walk without limping with that.

I do hate it when my feet (arches) hurt. But it doesn't keep me from running, as it usually is a matter of 3-4 miles before they loosen up. But it makes for a pretty un-fun run.

happylily

Same here.

The only real pain I have ever felt which prevented me from running was under the foot (plantar fasciitis). It felt like I had a knife planted deep inside the sole of my foot. I could barely walk. Aside from that, I would only use the word "aches" for what I have felt over the years, and none of them ever prevented me from running. Extreme fatigue and fever are the only two things which have stopped me.

I am concerned with the many aches/pains you experience, FS. You seem to have many areas which are fragile at the moment. Why is that?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

I ran through six months of heel pad syndrome and the heel hurt like a mother so everytime that heel gets angry I pay attention.

I don't usually run through pain, just soreness and tightness. IMO, if you are really talking about pain, maybe there is a real issue there?  If it's just tighness/soreness, it will pass.

BTW, my groin and adductors hurt like a mother for the 6 months prior to my surgery so you might want to check that you don't have psoas issues or fibroid issues that might be affecting the area.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I run through back pain on a regular basis. The spine doctor encourages me to run if only because the less I weigh the less of an issue my herniated disc is. Sometimes when my back is really bad it is hard to motivate myself to do so, but I generally feel happy I did it afterwards.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I did injure my groin area pretty good in 2012, and it flared up last year between the Evansville Half Marathon and the IMM but I was able to rest it and recover.

I think it was my Adductors first earlier this year and I ignored it, and my groin started up just a couple weeks ago. But I am feeling better now and I think another deep tissue massage will help tremendously.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

delicate flower

I am concerned with the many aches/pains you experience, FS. You seem to have many areas which are fragile at the moment. Why is that?

Because running is bad for you.

<3

LRB

It took me roughly 15 months to get over my groin injury (right adductor), which was agitated more by everyday life than it was by running.

I had to be mindful of how I got in and out of the car, often lifting the affected leg with my hands so the muscle wouldn't contract which caused pain if it did. Simple shit like turning over in bed, stepping sideways to let someone pass, or even getting up from a seated position caused pain FFS.

For awhile there, any lateral movement whatsoever however insignificant hurt. Initially, I spent about 6 to 8 weeks trying to strengthen it (which is how it got injured in the first place ironically) before ditching that plan in favor of indifference.

It usually took 3 to 4 miles to loosen the stupid thing up and I was fine. So I was able to train and run a shit ton of events when it was at its worst, including a half marathon and marathon.

I spent about 6 to 8 weeks trying to strengthen it (which is how it got injured in the first place ironically) before ditching that plan in favor of indifference.

This is my strengthening plan.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I ran through six months of heel pad syndrome and the heel hurt like a mother so everytime that heel gets angry I pay attention.

I don't usually run through pain, just soreness and tightness. IMO, if you are really talking about pain, maybe there is a real issue there?  If it's just tighness/soreness, it will pass.

BTW, my groin and adductors hurt like a mother for the 6 months prior to my surgery so you might want to check that you don't have psoas issues or fibroid issues that might be affecting the area.

........ I don't like that last part......

PRs

LRB

If you are in otherwise decent shape, there is nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all.

onemile

I only care about strengthening when I am injured and then promptly drop it.

LRB

I only care about strengthening when I am injured and then promptly drop it.

Yep, that's usually how it works.

#aintnobodygottimeforthat

#untiltheydolol