Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race Number 84: San Antonio Rock n Roll 5K (Read 6 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.

Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20race%20reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2084%20San%20Antonio%20Rock%20n%20Roll%205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 84th race of 2018 was the San Antonio Rock n Roll 5K on Dec 1st.  There was also a 10K.  These vents were part of the San Antonio Rock n Roll races held on Dec 1 – Dec 2, with the half-marathon and full marathon held on Dec 2.    This is a popular race series held in San Antonio, so there were quite a few people. My weekend for this one started with me and my wife, Gail, going to the Expo on Friday to get our gear – my wife walked the 5K – and then lining up with a mass of people on Saturday for the 5K/10K.  Start time was 7:30 a.m at the start location of Sunset Station, an event venue in Downtown San Antonio near The Alamodome Stadium and Tower of the Americas.  I arrived with about 45 minutes to start time and got a few pre-start photos – a couple of them a bit blurry, sorry, my camera skills are not great and my old-time camera does not like the low-light, lol, before the sun comes up.

Start for this one was at Sunset Station, near The Alamodome

photo IMG_1348_zpszini9dpc.jpg

Tower of the Americas

photo IMG_1359_zps2c8jxro0.jpg

With friends before the start

photo IMG_1339_zpsmup5pyps.jpg

photo IMG_1338_zps0zilcusp.jpg

photo IMG_1350_zpsuqee2ele.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, etc.   Sorry about some of the photos being a bit blurry.  My old-fashioned camera doe not like the low light before sunrise.

photo IMG_1340_zpsgyhxsgts.jpg

photo IMG_1341_zps7qji8xxi.jpg

photo IMG_1337_zps6uba64nu.jpg

photo IMG_1336_zpsq4vgfui9.jpg

photo IMG_1343_zpsquwlboab.jpg

photo IMG_1345_zpsynsbtvlq.jpg

photo IMG_1347_zpst30um868.jpg

photo IMG_1351_zpsbpzqrzk7.jpg

photo IMG_1352_zpsylzdyzhc.jpg

photo IMG_1354_zpsno9revxl.jpg

photo IMG_1355_zpsizuwzo5l.jpg

In the start crowd

photo IMG_1360_zpscz85y3yo.jpg

photo IMG_1361_zpskv829yge.jpg photo IMG_1358_zpsajzpmek9.jpg

photo IMG_1356_zpsrzmhxvnt.jpg

One of the guys controlling 'people traffic' as the waves were let go every couple of minutes.

photo IMG_1363_zpswxkndoci.jpg

Right near the actual start line now

photo IMG_1364_zpsjstovpuo.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Based on predicted finish time on the race entry participants were assigned specific corrals.  5K and 10K entrants all started together.  Well, not exactly together.  There were so many participants that after the elites and the speedy folks in corral 1 started, other corrals were released to go every 2 minutes.  I was assigned Corral 5 and after the gun went off, it took me nearly a half hour to actually get to and cross the timing mat.  Race was chipped time, so wasn’t a big deal for me –  I’d find out my actual time from the time I crossed the matt; and it wasn’t like I was going to win anything anyway at my pace, lol.   This was a point-to-point event, stating at Sunset Station and finishing On Navarro Street at Travis Park, a popular inner-city park about a ¼ mile or so walk from The Alamo on Alamo Street.   All done on paved roads and there were a couple of musicians out on the course playing as participants went by, as well as some music along the way heard from huge speakers along the course.  Pretty nice course and flat for the 5K.  I did the 10K last year and that course had a few inclines. As I came up to the corner to make the last turn to the finish, I noticed my friend Don a bit ahead of me; caught up to him and said “C’mon, Don, let’s go!”  And we both took off for the finish line, neck-and-neck, and pretty much finished that way too, chip time for me 34:29.  I think Don – who is in the 70+ age group and still going strong – was about 2 seconds ahead of me.

And we are off.  A little over a half mile on the course, my 1st walk break.

photo IMG_1366_zps3r7y0twi.jpg

photo IMG_1367_zpsxa9ni0m4.jpg

photo IMG_1368_zpsqdo02ioe.jpg

photo IMG_1370_zpsjue5rk6a.jpg

2nd walk break,  almost to the halfway point now

photo IMG_1371_zpsc2rva4yt.jpg

We had a very bright day

photo IMG_1372_zps8usjrwbi.jpg

photo IMG_1373_zpsq9q8a2gb.jpg

photo IMG_1374_zpsv949bwqz.jpg

photo IMG_1375_zpsqroymajh.jpg

photo IMG_1376_zps1q0axjrg.jpg

photo IMG_1377_zpsfpm6pk3o.jpg

photo IMG_1378_zpsxnjacz9h.jpg

After that, nonstop to the finish! 

AFTER MY FINISH

Got some water and walked around a bit, and saw and chatted with lots of friends in the finish area and, of course me being me, got several after photos too.  Very nice little after party with all kinds of snack foods, various fruits, bottled water, and also Michelob Ultra, and other items to enjoy, accompanied by a guy playing music for us.  All pretty nice and we really had a nice day for all of it, with some sunshine, a slight breeze, very low humidity and dew-point, and the temp in the low 60s.  Much different from last year when it was colder.  With San Antonio, you just never know in the winter, lol.  It could be 72 degrees one day and then drop to the 30s the very next day, lol.  Thankfully, cold does not usually last a long time around here.

With friend Don; we raced side-by-side to the finish.

photo IMG_1379_zps9mkhscws.jpg

With my canine pal, Azula.  I have no idea who the two ladies are.  Tongue   Just kidding, friends of mine.

photo IMG_1380_zpsj9mh8sys.jpg

My friend's son did his 5K in under 30 mnutes

photo IMG_1381_zpskhlxxpnw.jpg

Happy finishers, 3 old dogs....

photo IMG_1383_zpsdfyajlxt.jpg

photo IMG_1384_zpso0l26gad.jpg

Happy finishers, et al...

photo IMG_1387_zpsrpuxlddz.jpg

photo IMG_1388_zpsdjvhwfb1.jpg

photo IMG_1390_zpsk2uz7ly9.jpg

photo IMG_1391_zpskppe4dcb.jpg

photo IMG_1393_zpsrgbsvskn.jpg

photo IMG_1395_zpsoex6ukew.jpg

photo IMG_1396_zpsrihuq4uz.jpg

photo IMG_1394_zpsksd1beoi.jpg

photo IMG_1400_zpsxqfdulvg.jpg

photo IMG_1401_zpsfvgvr8yr.jpg

photo IMG_1402_zpsww2xq6fy.jpg

photo IMG_1403_zpskvpjtfwc.jpg

photo IMG_1405_zpsgam4ddyd.jpg

photo IMG_1406_zpsfebvxmn1.jpg

photo IMG_1411_zps8vx7uvqk.jpg

Finish line area volunteers

photo IMG_1385_zps2hgcuzhu.jpg

Important volunteers...the beer servers!

photo IMG_1397_zpslw8mykl3.jpg

Beer and finisher medal

photo IMG_1399_zpspdzfnxon.jpg

And before I left, a photo of one of the city Christmas Trees in the center of Travis Park

photo IMG_1412_zpsnh8imxil.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is a really nicely done event and the packet pickup this year at the RnR Expo went like clockwork for me and Gail. We got there early and there was a bit of a long line, but once the doors opened to let everyone in it went pretty darn quickly.  Got our stuff in what seemed like no time at all and then went and enjoyed the expo for a while.   The 5K course was nicely laid out with roads wide enough to accommodate the large group of participants and also wheelchair and baby jogger friendly for those who needed that.   Several volunteers/course marshals/water stop folks cheering us along the way, and lots and lots of police officers at all the intersections keeping us safe.  This is an enjoyable 5K.

Thanks to all the people that made this one happen for us, including all the volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement, organizers, The Rock n Roll staff and their associates, and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  No event for we participants without you, so mucho gracias!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Did Gail walk the race?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Did Gail walk the race?

She did, in about 40 minutes.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt