Beginners and Beyond

Sunday Penguins are... (Read 26 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

eh... you can finish the title.

It is 1:50am PST and I just got home from my drumming gig. As much as I love playing, there is one problem; I can't sleep for a while. It's like race day adrenaline. I rocked out for three plus hours and it was awesome. Two hundred people, dancing, yelling, etc... I get home and I'm WIDE awake! Of course everyone is asleep so I'm going to drink a beer or two and watch "Alaska the Last Frontier" and "Dr. Pol" on the DVR. If I'm lucky, I'll be in bed by 3:30, when many of you in the east are up. To make matters worse, I have to get up at 7:00 for day three of DDs swim meet. I wouldn't miss that for anything so it's all good.

We'll see about a run, that's doubtful.  Our vacuum died this week so on our way home from the meet we are stopping at Costco.

Have a good Sunday, Pens.  Smile

Bin Running

Jack, watching reruns or shopping channel always knock me out. Haa

Finally, long run of 12+ done. It has been a while.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

tracilynn

I wish my vac would die. I want a Dyson vacuum.  I will have to sell a kidney though.

Jack, that's the price you pay for being a rock star.  Drink a pot of coffee today. Ha.

bin, nice run. I prob won't even run that in a week.

I did 6 last night. Will try a few today so I will be in reach of the pace bunny, within a mile I think.

last week in freezing temps my sisters pipes burst in her CEILINGS.  A few caved in. Lots of damage at least $50,000. I have to help her today So will run tonight.

We finally have some sunshine yay

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

Good morning!  I didn't run yesterday.  There were thunderstorms, plus I've had lots of clues that I need a bit more recovery.  I have 7 easy planned for this evening.

Today I have an interview- I'm applying to be a chaperone for an exchange trip to Costa Rica this summer.  My daughter is applying to go as an exchange student.  I have the last interview, then they invited us to join them for lunch (that's gotta be a good sign, right), then there's the information session for students who are applying.

I hope I get it, but spending all summer over there would be a big step for me.  Plus it would mean marathon training in the tropics.  Damaris and I could compare dewpoint numbers for the day.

Damaris- Good luck today!

Jack- Hope that you were able to get some sleep.  Sounds like a great gig!

Bin- Glad you got your LR in!

Traci- Nice job keeping up with the pace bunny!  Hope that your sister is able to start getting things worked out.  We had water damage a couple of years ago- no fun at all. 

From the Internet.

Hi pens, long time no post! Busy week, attempted 6 miles today for the first time since November. Went OK, we'll see how the legs feel tomorrow. 20 miles total for the week.

I used up my Christmas GC to Running Warehouse yesterday - my Elixirs are really on their last leg now and I'm not 100% sure I love the DS Trainers I'm running in now (they're OK but the sole of my left foot will sometimes go numb - kinda weird), so I grabbed a couple pairs of shoes from the liquidation section to try out, Saucony Mirage 3 and Adidas Tempo 6. If I don't like them I'll just exchange for another pair of DSTs.

Zelanie

Hi Lauren- 6 miles is great!  For some reason that was a huge milestone for me when I was building back up this summer.  Hope that you love the new shoes!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning.  5 street miles w/dw.  Lot less ice to skip over.  A little wind made it warm going north and cold going south, so on average, it was nice.  Now, we are going to see Inside Llewyn Davis (assuming the DD's don't have plans for us.  Still have lots of Best Picture's to see.

Any Disney results yet?

Enjoy your Sunday and Golden Globes.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Congrats Disney runners! Looks like Damaris finishedSmile

Boyfriend and his doggie are still here. Went on a walk this morning. Felt great! My boyfriend noticed I'm strongly favoring my right foot though and limping even though it doesn't hurt. Still walking like I'm in the boot and not really flexing my ankle. Like a phantom injury.....not really trusting my foot and also not used to using the muscles around my foot and ankle to walk. I have some work to do I guess.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Bin Running

Traci, sorry abt the burst pipe.. 50 grand sound a lot..

Mel, i think it's a good sign.. Hope you got to travel to CR.. how long is the exchange trip?

Lauren, hope the shoes worked out.. Seem like we have some similar taste in shoes.

Jerry, sound like a nice run... Enjoy the show.

Kristin, does it affect your run?

On 5am shift today (Monday for u guys).... yawns!

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

PADRunner

Afternoon all. 11 long for me this morning.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Bin I don't know yet....I don't plan to try a run for at least another week. I'm gonna see how this week walking without the boot goes...do some elliptical this week, ankle strengthening exercises that I seem to need and if that all feels good maybe try a short run next weekend.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Bin Running

Kristin, maybe have someone look at how you run.. If it's affecting your gait, it might pose other problem.. FInger crossed.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Bin today was the longest I've walked in 5 weeks and the first time walking more than a block or so without the boot. I think I just need to get used to walking again.  Which is why I'm still not running yet even though the doctor didn't come right out and say not to.

GinnyinPA

Jack - I hope you found some time for a nap this afternoon.  Sounds like you had fun last night though.

Bin - good job on the 12.  How did it feel?

Tracilynn - congratulations on catching up to the pace bunny.  I hate being behind already, but it's moving faster than I am at the moment.  I should be able to catch up soon.  I hope your sister's insurance pays for most of that.

Z - Costa Rica would be a good experience for both of you.  I hope you get it.  But you're right, it will make marathon training more difficult.

Lauren - you're doing well with the mileage.  Is your body behaving?

Jerry - I hope the streets continue to clear up for you.  We lost the last of our snow between yesterday's rain and today's warmth.  How was the movie?

Kristin - you'll get used to walking again pretty quickly.  Where you live, you have to walk, so once your body figures out it doesn't have to adjust for the weight of the boot, you should be okay.

PADRunner - good job on the 11.  Do you have a HM coming up soon?

We took advantage of the warm weather (43F) and sunshine to hike on the AT for a bit.  My knees didn't like the rock scrambling, but otherwise it was a good hike.