Beginners and Beyond

Eating before LRs (Read 333 times)

hog4life

For me, I can do oatmeal, bagel with Nutella, and/or banana. I usually need to wait an hour or so. One day I was out, had pizza for lunch, went running about an hour and a half later and all was okay doing that.
    runmomto3boys

Damaris: Bagels and cream cheese!  Yes!  Those work like a charm for me for my PM runs and are a HUGE staple (as you know) in my diet since I got my belly stuff under control.

Hilary: I might try PB...I need more than 1/2 hour, though, I bet.  I don't know for sure.  I wait 3-4 hours b/f I run in the PM usually after I eat food.

Lily: Do you know what the absolute WORSE thing was b/f my race?  You know my history w/GI stuff, right - how awful it was and how I got it under control only 6 or so weeks b/f my race, right?  K, well my #1 fear race day was that I wouldn't poop pre-race in the AM and would have HORRIBLE GI stuff all race.  Guess what happened?  Race AM: NO POOP!  OMG, I was FREAKING out.  Especially w/my history of stomach issues.  I think the fact that I was pooping my brains out all week b/c I was nervous meant there was no poop left that AM.  I had NO problems during the race at all.  No cramping, no anything.  Not afterward either.  Anyway, it was crazy to me considering how poop had been my frenemy during training and then what happened race day....crazy!

Scrape: Burritos and chips?  You must be joking...  NO WAY!  That run would NOT have a happy ending...I'm certain of that!

NBT: I am jealous of your no-pooping abilities.  For realz.

Mitch: Nutella is a good idea and I know bagels are my buddies.  They work for me.  The hour figure seems to be the magical #.  Good to know.

andrew jerald

Half a banana and walked out the door.
        workinprogress11

I drink a protein drink and eat a half of a bagel with peanut butter and jelly before a long run.  It holds me pretty well, but for true long runs over 18 miles I bring gels as well.

Robert31320

Team TJ

I think I'll try the bagel and cream cheese combo next weekend.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

My favorite meal before a long run is a bagel with peanut butter and a bit of honey.  It's delicious.  It sits well.  I feel great during my run.  I still like to eat it a couple of hours before the run because I have coffee with it.  Then, I have to wait for the coffee to do it's thing.  Then, I know I'm ready to go.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Anytime 16+ is going to happen, I fuel up about an hour beforehand.

Breakfast of choice is a bowl of frosted mini wheats with non-dairy milk, a cup of greek yogurt, a couple toasted waffles (dry), strong black tea, and sometimes a banana or apple.

Other cereal, oatmeal, or a bagel may stand in for variety, but I'm cranky without the tea. My infuser and loose-leaf come on the road when racing out of town.  Not pooping immediately after waking up also makes me cranky, but that's rare.

BAD IDEAS include leftover Thai, Mexican, and pizza.

BruceD555

For morning long runs (>15 miles) I'll usually eat a bagel with peanut butter and drink a cup of coffee about 60 minutes beforehand. If the run is during the day/evening I usually don't worry about eating anything as long as I ate "normally" during the day. For runs shorter than that (10-15 miles) I generally don't eat anything beforehand (just water) but will usually carry a gel just in case I need something mid-run.

However, like others have said, everyone is different and you'll generally have to do a bit of experimenting to find out what works "best" for you.

Train smart ... race smarter.

runmomto3boys

Bwahahaha, Jay: I love the "bad ideas" list.

Thanks for the input, though, everyone!

msmrow

Oatmeal works great for me.  I've also had waffles and fruit, bananas, granola or "hearty" cereals, and a bagel and cream cheese.  I had a queasy stomach using PB on the bagel once, so now I just use butter, cream cheese, and/or jam.  I've been lucky to not have any stomach or GI issues associated with running.   

Before the race- say 20 min- I have one of those Stinger waffles to get a jump start on refueling.  I'm usually hungry again by this point so it helps.

B-Plus

So far, my longest runs have only gone up to 15 in recent history. If I wake up early enough, then I just poop*, take a swig of sports drink, and then I'm out the door.

If I sleep in, then I actually or psychologically feel hungrier, so I poop*, eat oatmeal w/ blueberries, chug a cup of coffee, poop* again, and out then door about 2 hours after I wake up.

Once my runs get longer, I'll likely make it a point to wake up earlier to do the above-noted poop, eat, poop fueling routine.

* For both scenarios, I always pray that I got all the poop out.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

One almond butter and jelly sandwich and one cup of dry cereal (wheaties fuel) is my pre marathon meal. I don't pay too much attention to long runs because I like to get out the door without waiting for food to digest. I've also played with granola bars and candy on long runs instead of gels, but I'll still do 2-3 GU in a marathon.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

runmomto3boys

Great suggestions, peeps!  Thanks!  I'm going to mess w/all of these ideas. 

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Toast with peanut butter and some water or gatorade.

Not quite right

Toast with peanut butter and cup of coffee about a hour before