Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Prickly Pear Trail Runs: 5K, 10 Miles, and 50K (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO 

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:      http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2017%20Prickly%20Pear%205K

A couple of the photos came out a bit blurry, sorry about that, I am definitely no professional photographer, lol, but at least the photos are free.

BEFORE MY START

My 17th race of 2017 was the San Antonio Road Runners Prickly Peark 5K trail run. There was also a 50K and a 10 miler.  Held at McAllister Park in San Antonio, there was a slight delay in the start times for the races, as some of the course routes had to be changed a bit because of the rain in San Antonio and some flooding and 'water hazard' spots on the course.  50K folks started at 7:30 a.m.,, 10 milers at 8:30 a.m. and we 5K folks at 8:45 a.m.  McAllister Park is quite close to where I live so I got to sleep in a bit.  Got there just after the 50K folks had left and wandered around talking a few photos.  Mother Nature was still being fickle with us as to the weather and the rain, so it was darn chilly for we South Texans and a stiff wind made it feel even colder, so lots of people - including me - were wrapped up in layers...and some crazy people - per my mind, lol; I hate being cold - were in shorts and singlets. One guy - one of the 10 milers - even ran with no shirt on.

I have arrived.  I have another shirt on underneath this outer shirt.  I felt a bit warm when I was running, but during my walk breaks, with that wind blowing, I was glad to have that other shirt on underneath.

photo 020_zpsbwxxukga.jpg

I am not smiling...my dang teeth are chattering! 

photo 021_zps1bbwu8fj.jpg

Me with friend Tony, who did the 10 miler

photo 003_zpszza1qriw.jpg

The San Antonio Road Runner official photographer

photo 001_zpshakkes3k.jpg

My friend Daisy, one of the 10 milers, and apparently immune to cold

photo 015_zpscp69bfoh.jpg

My friend, Jose, of iaapweb that did the timing, course set-up, results...

photo 022_zpsnd36tczi.jpg

This lovely lady was one of the race organizers

photo 023_zps146ecnol.jpg

Me and pal Bernadette.  She did the 5K too and was first in her age group.

photo 024_zpskltorzmd.jpg

photo 025_zpsavidaeib.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, supporters, et al

photo 002_zpsror6erch.jpg

photo 004_zpsbiydbsjz.jpg

photo 005_zpsifnlfcut.jpg

photo 014_zpsgb0imzez.jpg

Group Huddle, trying to stay warm from that biting wind

photo 013_zpstlism025.jpg

photo 006_zpszzqxyeze.jpg

photo 007_zpswks9l3pe.jpg

photo 008_zpschlgcgxf.jpg

photo 009_zpscjeixkpd.jpg

photo 010_zps4ifasalz.jpg

photo 011_zps7y40t18y.jpg

photo 012_zpskyz3iubb.jpg

photo 017_zpsehswueey.jpg

photo 018_zpsv9tc478m.jpg

photo 019_zpsmepnwm9l.jpg

ON THE COURSE

It did not rain on us, thank goodness.  But it had rained the day before and the day before that..and the day before that...so the park was pretty darn muddy and had standing water in lots of places.  We 5K folks probably had it a lot easier than the 10 mile and 50K folks.  We did one loop on the park trails and a lot of our route was paved.  We had 3 fairly short off-road nonpaved trails to deal with; there was standing water and a pretty big muddy area on only one of them; there was mud and really slippery rocks on the other two short trails, but not too bad, everyone was able to progress forward, but probably at a much slower pace than usually done;  my Saturday 5K, which was all paved, I did in 32:23.  This trail 5K on Sunday took me 35:18.  I ended up first in my age group (60-69).  These photos are of some of the 5K participants around me on the 5K course. I never did see any of the 10 mile or 50K people until after I was done.

photo 026_zps0lpeabxd.jpg

photo 027_zpsbvuf38y0.jpg

photo 029_zpsvh2htzhh.jpg

photo 032_zpst9yrjije.jpg

photo 033_zpsavaqplkz.jpg

photo 034_zpspk3jnkc8.jpg

photo 035_zpscdu4pscs.jpg

photo 037_zpstzxsuodu.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Guinness at the finish, oh yeah!  Plus Kiolbassa sausages, some energy and fruit bars, and various other things.  This also was a dog-friendly event, so I had brought along a jar of doggie biscuits so the dogs could have post-race treats too. Drinking my brew and munching my sausage, I wandered around getting some after-my-finish photos. 

We 5K folks started last and finished first, so we got first crack at the post race goodies...there was a choice of chicken or beef fajitas, with beans-and-rice, lots of water....and Alamo beer, nice!  I just had some chicken by itself - and it was really good too - and my beer

photo 043_zpsipzowg23.jpg

Me and friend Adrian...happy to finish and enjoy our beer.

photo 040_zpsckrr4v8y.jpg

As people from the 10 mile event began coming in, I wandered around and got some random photos of both 10 mile and 5K finishers and their supporters, some of the volunteers, etc.  The guy that finished first in the 10 miler was done in 1:04-and-some-change, pretty darn quick through all that mud and slush in the park.

The awards all set up and awaiting the finishers...

photo 044_zps2mv5wldh.jpg

photo 045_zpsab4ga5eq.jpg

photo 046_zpsfcx37b1x.jpg

First place, 60 - 69, for the 5K.  I was the only on in that age group for the 5K, lol.  So I asked the RD..does that mean I get 3 of these, since I was 1st, 2nd, and 3rd?  That would be a big NO, lol.

photo 068_zps43igxxql.jpg

With Daisy and an award....how sweet it is....

photo 072_zpszx4dqgow.jpg

photo 039_zpsmrgllbwv.jpg

This gentleman on the left forgot to put on his timing chip for the 5K.  I jokingly told him to get his chip and run the course again to get an official time.  He didn't.

photo 042_zpsedfbfv4v.jpg

photo 047_zps5grw8iks.jpg

photo 048_zpsrzqqebro.jpg

Coming through on one of his loops..I think he was doing the 50K

photo 049_zpsyqv3tvdo.jpg

photo 054_zps9tltaimy.jpg

First Lady finisher, 10 miler.  The 10-mile and 50K participants all got finisher medals.

photo 050_zps6eiwzjio.jpg

photo 052_zps13mw9rac.jpg

photo 053_zps3g1vwsct.jpg

photo 055_zpsou8odbxn.jpg

photo 056_zpsfjafctcj.jpg

photo 057_zpsexbeix5o.jpg

photo 058_zpswxhdnja6.jpg

photo 064_zpsfwfdjl9i.jpg

photo 059_zpsh7skev7a.jpg

photo 060_zpsxcqnagxo.jpg

photo 061_zpsl9spp6wu.jpg

photo 062_zpsr7rtpqsa.jpg

photo 065_zpsnknrbtr7.jpg

photo 066_zpslbrwdoh0.jpg

photo 070_zps9g8g9pn0.jpg

photo 071_zpsh9enegpy.jpg

My friend here is like..."What's in this cup?  I'm feeling GOOOOOD!"  

photo 076_zpscmy4vu1y.jpg

photo 077_zps8tbajjx9.jpg

Thank you, iaapweb folks!

photo 074_zpsxebcox4q.jpg

photo 075_zpse3hu1sct.jpg

EPILOGUE

Very nicely organized event.  Kudos to Eric and Kristine who, I believe, were the two Race Directors for this year.  Glad they added a 5K, it was fun to participate this year.  Mucho thanks to all the folks who helped make this one happen for us: San Antonio Road Runners, all the sponsors, law enforcement out there for us, all the volunteers who had to be out there super early, iaapweb for timing, results, etc, the kind folks who provided the great food and beer for us, etc.  I would definitely do this one again.

Hope you enjoyed the report and photos!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt