Beginners and Beyond

Woman sues because frozen pizza has trans fats....which is on the nutrition label (Read 173 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

She ought to sue herself for buying something that she apparently did not want. It's not like pizzas jump out of the freezer and into the shopping cart by themselves.

Only cookies have this capability.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

The Mc

I have that coobook. I should dig it out!

It's a nice little cookbook.  I tried to become a vegetarian in college (lasted a year +/-) and bought it back then.  Just recently dug it out and have been using it a ton lately.

Papa don't take no mess.

flarunner

She ought to sue herself for buying something that she apparently did not want. It's not like pizzas jump out of the freezer and into the shopping cart by themselves.

Or sue herself for not being able to read the nutrition label on the package before purchase.

Or maybe sue herself for thinking that the amount of trans fats in 5 frozen pizzas over the course of a year are "toxic".

Stupid should hurt.

/rant over

Carry on with your recipes.

Walk-Jogger

Evil  That gives me an idea for a new invention...

Retired &  Loving It

cmb4314

I have that coobook. I should dig it out!

I still kick myself for not having ever eaten at Moosewood.  I lived literally a half mile from the restaurant for three years.  I wasn't so much of a foodie then (not to mention the fact that I was always studying like a fiend), but now I wish I'd tried it.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

@runjerseygirl

Consumers are being tricked.  It's all the manufacturers fault.  It's a conspiracy!  Blargh!

Cool

Do you even run?

Walk-Jogger

Or sue herself for not being able to read the nutrition label on the package before purchase.

Or maybe sue herself for thinking that the amount of trans fats in 5 frozen pizzas over the course of a year are "toxic".

Stupid should hurt.

/rant over

Carry on with your recipes.

Trans fats are directly responsible for killing a couple of hundred thousand Americans every year with premature and avoidable heart attacks, while adding no nutritional value whatsoever to the foods they're added to.  Stupid DOES hurt, in this case. Every manufacturer who adds any transfats to any food product ought to be sued out of existence, in my opinion, because they are murdering Americans at a higher rate than any terrorist group could ever hope to.  But I do agree, this lady ought to have read the ingredients list and simply avoided these toxic pizza's. 

Retired &  Loving It

MrNamtor

Consumers are being tricked.  It's all the manufacturers fault.  It's a conspiracy!  Blargh!

Cool

Nah, it's a total coincidence. Manufacturers and retailers don't put any thought into how to sell their products. All they're interested in is making the best and most healthful products to serve the public good.

MrNamtor

Trans fats are directly responsible for killing a couple of hundred thousand Americans every year with premature and avoidable heart attacks, while adding no nutritional value whatsoever to the foods they're added to.  Stupid DOES hurt, in this case. Every manufacturer who adds any transfats to any food product ought to be sued out of existence, in my opinion, because they are murdering Americans at a higher rate than any terrorist group could ever hope to.  But I do agree, this lady ought to have read the ingredients list and simply avoided these toxic pizza's. 

+1 who the hell are you btw? Big grin

MrNamtor

my guess is that the woman bringing the suit is an activist interested in getting companies to take trans fat out of their products. I don't think she is some dumbass who didn't read the labels on her pizza.

happylily

All I know is that my 15 year old son got angry at me today for serving him a frozen pizza. He said his big sister had told him all about the evils of trans fats and processed food. I hate it when the kids turn against me like that... Embarrassed

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

MrNamtor

All I know is that my 15 year old son got angry at me today for serving him a frozen pizza. He said his big sister had told him all about the evils of trans fats and processed food. I hate it when the kids turn against me like that... Embarrassed

that's today's generation. When i was a kid, i would have demanded trans fat in my pizza. But then again at your son's age i was already smoking and drinking.

Seriously though, that illustrates that "silly" law suits like this really do help inform people. Your son is smarter than me. I was actually, until reading about this suit, unaware that trans fats were still allowed in frozen foods. I thought they had been basically eliminated from the food supply.

Love the Half

It's not like pizzas jump out of the freezer and into the shopping cart by themselves.

I have a six pack (well, it used to be a six pack, now it's more like a three pack) of Hobgoblin Dark English Ale in my fridge and I have no idea how it ended  up in my cart at the store.  But, since it did, I feel rather obligated to enjoy it at my leisure.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Seriously?  Sometimes I feel like the person who filed the lawsuit should serve time in prison.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

MrNamtor

Seriously?  Sometimes I feel like the person who filed the lawsuit should serve time in prison.

I agree. Anyone trying to get poisonous substances removed from commonly sold food items should be locked up.