Beginners and Beyond

Yeah! 75 races done for the year! Corpus Christi City-Wide Challenge 5K Report and Photos (Read 52 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

This was my 75th race of the year, breaking my last year's record of doing 74 races. I would have had 75 races as of the weekend of December 21st, but one of my scheduled events that weekend got canceled, and no more local-area races through the end of the year.  So my record for this year would be tied with last year.   However, my lovely wife, Gail, registered me for this event found held in Corpus Christi TX on Dec 28 and even gave me an overnight stay in Corpus as a Christmas present.  Probably so I would get my 75  in for this year and then she would not have to listen to me whine all next year about not making it to 75 events.   So I drove the 129 miles to Corpus on Friday, stayed overnight at Navy Lodge on the Naval Air Station -  very convenient to be retired military, good rate and nice rooms! - did the 5K on Saturday morning, and came home after the race.  Event was put on by Corpus Christi RoadRunners - http://corpusroadrunners.com/ -  and V Fit Productions - http://www.vfitproductions.com/ .  Small event, about 50 or 60 folks.  The weather was fairly nice, about 50 or so degrees, but a pretty chilly wind blowing off the Gulf, so was glad I had worn a base layer underneath my top running shirt, and several folks had on jackets with that blowing wind that made it feel colder.  For some folks in  the US, 50s and 40s is Spring, but for we South Texans our  actual Spring is usually in the 70s and 80s, so 40s and 50s is cold for us!   I ended up with a time of 34:15.

LONG VERSION WITH PHOTOS

Race was held at Dolphin Park, a beach park in Corpus Christi.   Start time 8 a.m.   After I arrived in Corpus on Friday afternoon, I went and got my packet, then checked into my lodging, and then drove to Dolphin Park to make sure I knew how to get there on Race Day.  Glad I did, because Dolphin Park is way at the end of one part of the city and right on the bay.  So this exploratory trip indicated to me what time I had to get up on Race day for the drive to the park.   Part of the route included driving over this causeway bridge....and I was very glad to find out this was NOT part of our course!  Although there is a half marathon and 10K during the year that does go over this causeway....tough hill!

Before The Race

Got to the race site with about 40 minutes to go to race time and got some pre-start photos.

The race-day registration pavilion

Another causeway bridge near the start/finish area

Corpus Christi skyline and The USS Lexington aka "Lady Lex", WWII aircraft carrier, which is now permanently docked in Corpus Christi as a museum.  We ran quite close to it during the 5K.

Some interesting houses around the park area

Ship sailing by the start/finish beach area

Start/Finish area

Your 'host' for this report

Volunteers, Participants, Supporters, pre-race

Two of our lovely lady registration volunteers with the race shirts

Small World!  My new friend here, Mondo, came down from Lytle TX to do this event!  Lytle is about 30 minutes from San Antonio.

Our lovely MC and DJ for the event

On The Course

We started on paved cement "boardwalk" that went along the beach, then cut across a small grassy area, then back onto a bit of cement, and then at the halfway point went onto the beach and did the last 1.5 miles to the finish right on the Gulf shore.  I have not run on sand for 30 years, since I was stationed in Hawaii and lived there for 4 years, so it was tough!  I tried to run as close to the water as possible where the sand was more packed down, but the incline was pretty bad - my braced knee no likey! - so I ran a bit further up where it was somewhat more level.  Still pretty nicely packed, but a few 'soft spots" along the way.  Even so,  I did okay...probably a good thing I am slow, lol, that probably helped me keep trudging along.

I ran with Mondo until my first walk break, which was on the grassy area.  Mondo kept on going again and that was the last I saw of him until the finish.  I found out later I was actually not that far behind him, he finished in 32-something, I finished in 34-something.

Off the grassy area...

Heading for the beach...

Some of our course volunteers standing out there in the wind for us.  At least we participants were moving, which helped us stay warm.

Some colorful buildings along the way, like this one

Got a close-up view of the Lady Lex near the halfway point

..and this jet-plane display

Then it was onto the beach for the 1.5 miles back to the start/finish area

And then I trucked on in non-stop to the finish.....

After The Race

...and got a photo of these folks heading for the finish on the last part of the beach we ran on....nice...

And then on to the "Happy Finishers" and volunteers and supporters, post-race

This lovely lady and I played "leapfrog" on the course; she'd pass me during my photo stops; I'd catch up and pass during my running segments.   Her Great Legs in front of me were quite motivating to keep an old man like me moving forward.

The lovely Leapfrog Lady and her  "sister"..

She graciously let me have a photo with her

These two young lads finished in 20 minutes and something and were medal winners.  At 20 minutes I was not even to Mile 2 yet, lol.  Their Dad told me that was actually a bit slow for them.  Zowie!

A few of our great volunteers and RD Gabe, 2nd from left.  Wonderful folks, all of them.

A close up of the very nice quality tee race shirt

photo corpus068_zpscbda5824.jpg

On the way back to the hotel, I took a leisurely drive and stopped for a few photos of things in the area along the way.

Got a full-length photo of the Lady Lex

One of the Corpus Christi beaches and the boat marina just beyond it

This park is where the annual Beach to Bay Relay Marathon finishes.  It is the largest relay marathon in the world and a lot of fun - although it can be warm as it is done in May on Armed Forces Day each year.   Even a slow guy like me can enjoy doing one of the legs, there are so many teams involved.  I have participated in 4 of the annual races.

photo corpus066_zpsc91a9893.jpg

The park includes part of the hike-and-bike path that goes a a long way along the Corpus Christi gulf shoreline.

photo corpus063_zpsb0c5ee00.jpg

Runner on the path...and looks like that same red boat in the gulf behind him that I took a photo of when it was near the start/finish line

photo corpus067_zps669bab6d.jpg

Some interesting homes and buildings across from the park/running trail area

photo corpus065_zps6e1a8bb2.jpg

photo corpus064_zps49cbdb07.jpg

photo corpus062_zps8396fcac.jpg

photo corpus061_zps6c1f2362.jpg

photo corpus059_zpsb3cb5bfe.jpg

EPILOG

A very nice way to finish out my racing year and get in my 75th event!  A small event, but a very fun one, and all the local participants and volunteers were very friendly and made me feel very welcome.   The course was definitely different from San Antonio courses and it was nice to be on a beach again and smell salt air - I miss Hawaii!   Kudos to V-Fit Productions and all the folks who made this one possible, it was very  enjoyable.  I might just have to make this one my annual "end of the year" event. 

And Happy Birthday to my daughter, Lorrie, who was born Dec 28th, in year...well...never mind....let's just say she's old enough to know and still young enough to do something about it.  Happy birthday, Lorrie!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Long sleeves and gloves just don't seem to go with palm trees. Some of those poor runners looked like they were freezing. I expected to see snow the way some of them were bundled up.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MothAudio

75 races in one year or driving 129 mile for a 5k?! Hmmmm, not doing either! Congrats on setting a new race PB and for being such a positive ambassador to the forums.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Great job, Scotty!

I had to stop and think about it for a minute - 75 races in a year. That's 1.5 races a week!  There's people that don't run that often (including me these last 2 months, but I'm on the IR list so there), and you're out there doing races. phenomenal!

Congratulations on setting a record. Though I bet you can get 76 next year. Smile

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Little Blue

Congrats on the new PR!  That's a whole lotta racing!

Your third picture, of the causeway, is really odd.  It looks like the whole causeway is floating above the broken concrete.  Too much for my un-coffee'd brain to figure out!

Docket_Rocket

You did it, Scotty!  Congrats!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

workinprogress11

That's a great accomplishment and it seems you had fun in each and every one of them. I love your attitude. Congratulations!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Uuhmazing!!

Like the green combo!!

And awesome photos as usual!!

Thanks for all the RR's, Scotty!! 

Randy

GinnyinPA

I'm glad you managed to reach your goal of 75 races.  I assume Gail understands that next year you'll be aiming for 76?  This looks like a nice place to run, though not a course for a PR.  Thanks for all the great race reports.  For those of us that don't race often, it's nice to see what we're missing.

Pinktastic

Way to go, Scotty!   This one looked COLD, and I know you don't enjoy that!   Congrats on your 75th!  I look forward to reading all 76 RRs next year!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Great stuff, Scotty!

hog4life

Scotty, I think it is just amazing that you do this many events in a year's time. Congrats!

Zelanie

Congrats, Scotty, on 75 races and on sharing 75 race reports with photos with us this year! What a sweet present for you to get to do this one!

Sounds like you did pretty well on the sand with that much distance to cover on it!

You never stop amazing us, keep it up!

Antipodean

Congrats on reaching an all time high of 75 races in a year! That's a phenomenal achievement. You certainly are driven to do this, although you make light of your achievement and commitment, even, at times. You know you are insanely modest! Your achievement is a seriouly AWESOME thing!!!  Where are the dancing bananas or pink elephants when you need them?!

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary