Beginners and Beyond

Saturday Penguins From A to Z (Read 177 times)

Docket_Rocket

Thanks-  I am running a full marathon in a month (Houston Marathon). 2 weeks after that I will either do a HM for another full, Its a free race and you dont have to sign up for it until the day of the race. Other than those, the only other race I have planned is a 5k color run with DW and some co workers.

Good luck!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Good luck!

Thanks - i just hope that my sisters dont have to drag my big butt the last few miles Smile  we will get a practice 20 miler in together in 2 weeks. It will be the first time that I have run longer than 6 miles with someone. I am usually a loner on the mean streets Wink

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

6 miles done but after reading what Rach did, I feel like a slacker.

Wow Damaris, if you feel like a slacker, how do think we feel. ????

Docket_Rocket

LOL.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

6 miles done but after reading what Rach did, I feel like a slacker.

Damaris, you are DEFINITELY NOT a slacker!

No one on here is a slacker!

When I was injured I wasn't making the best food choices, and now I am paying for it. Yes, I passed my PT test for the Air Force, but I don't want to be one of those people who pass it just to pass it. I want to feel like I did before, and the only way I know how to do that is to jump in there feet first. I like that runner's high ... and I've figured out I can get it with running and exercising my butt off. So I don't want to lose it again, especially since it's been gone for so long!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

My race is done, and the chip time is in the books.  I'm not going to write my RR yet, because I have some things that I want to get done.  I thought I'd drop in and give Zel a little teaser.  I know her race is in like 6 hours or something.

I GOT A BIG OLE PR!!!  Run like you stole something Zel! 

Anybody want to guess what I ran?  Previous PR was 26:58:52.  That's your hint.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

tracilynn

I saw that awood posted and I got all excited to see what his time was but its just a TEASE.  kinda like when people say, "i have - really important secret but I cant tell you right now.  Joking

Haha.  Im gonna guess 23:23

I just did 5.5 windy miles.  Tomorrow is my last trails class and its supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow which could make it very intersting and messy and muddy and slippery.  

~~~~~~~

Traci

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I saw that awood posted and I got all excited to see what his time was but its just a TEASE.  kinda like when people say, "i have - really important secret but I cant tell you right now.  Joking

Haha.  Im gonna guess 23:23

I just did 5.5 windy miles.  Tomorrow is my last trails class and its supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow which could make it very intersting and messy and muddy and slippery.  

Well played!  I hate it when people do that.  So, I'll give you the quick and short version.  I don't want to be THAT GUY...lol

It was definitely cold, and raining lightly.  This was really bad news because the trail was full of rolling hills, on wooden boardwalks.  Yep...signs everywhere warning about how slippery it is when it's wet.

Well, I decided that I'd rather fall and have an excuse, than not get my PR because I was afraid of a little wet boardwalk.  Besides, I have to beat Zel, and Damaris is chasing me with a whip....right?

I don't have a clue what my splits were like, but every mile felt like, "OMG...am I going to be able to maintain this?"  Then, I would have short stretches, usually downhill, where I'd say, "Hell, this isn't going to be a problem". 

Before I knew it, I could see the finish line.  I heard someone coming up behind me, and I tried to kick with everything I had.  Guess what...I didn't have a kick left...lol  I was running full speed at this point.  He got me, but then it happened.  I saw the clock.

25:48:48

I shaved more than a full minute off of my 5K time.  My three 5K's this year have been 31:02, 26:58:52 and 25:48:48.  That's some pretty darn good progress in my book, and pretty darn fast for 237 pounds if you ask me.

The fiance also had a PR.  The course was tougher, but she managed to shave off a few seconds.  I'm pretty proud of her!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

tracilynn

Ha.  I knew I could talk you in to posting your timeBig grin. Congrats on your new PR! I cant imagine running a 25 anything.  Lol. 

Good luck to Zel too.  How mad would you be if she got a 25:47?

I like these showdowns.  Who is next for a showdown?  A virtual showdown.  We should do one a week!   We can match up people with the most similar 5k times!  Mine 5k PR is a 31:39 and its very fresh! Not soft at all.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Ha.  I knew I could talk you in to posting your timeBig grin. Congrats on your new PR! I cant imagine running a 25 anything.  Lol. 

Good luck to Zel too.  How mad would you be if she got a 25:47?

I like these showdowns.  Who is next for a showdown?  A virtual showdown.  We should do one a week!   We can match up people with the most similar 5k times!  Mine 5k PR is a 31:39 and its very fresh! Not soft at all.

I don't think I could get mad.  This was actually a lot more fun because she threw down the challenge, and I probably did as well as I did because of it.  I want her to PR too.  I have to admit though, there is a small part of me that hopes she runs a 25:49:49. 

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Hi! Sorry to be a stranger. I didn't run on Thursday like I usually do, but I forced myself to get out there today and run in sleet. It was yucky! But I admit, I sort of felt like a little kid jumping in slush puddles when no one is watching. After my shoes got completely drenched the fourth time it didn't bother me any more and I found my self grinning every time I found another surprise puddle. I was running on the sidewalk at one point and a car moved all the way over to my side of the road and sprayed slush all over me. I bet they were surprised when I turned around with a big smile on my face and said "THANK YOU!!!" and kept on running! HA! I took it very slow and easy because it was icy, but I still covered 5.5 miles in just over an hour. I hope the good mood stays with me all day!

Rachel - That's a monster workout! I'm not sure I could run AND do all that in one day. You rock!

Awood - Sweet PR, dude! I'm so impressed with how far you have come.

*waves* I hope everyone has an awesome weekend!

My weeks-old 5K PR is 30:51, but with the weather we have had lately it is nearly impossible to find a safe place to just all out run a 5K. I like the idea of a virtual showdown, a lot actually, but I'll probably wait until the snow melts to take anyone on. Smile

From the Internet.

25 minutes on the "urban trail" for me (a stretch of soft dirt/grass about 1/3 of a mile long, I just run back and forth until I hit my time quota). Was filled with all kinds of pent-up stress and frustration, so I did some 30 sec. or so strides up to ~7:30 pace halfway through. Fuck it, I'm going to the doctor this week anyway, so if I'm going to break I might as well do it now. Was very cathartic, legs still feel OK. Might pop some ibuprofen as a preventative measure. Le sigh. Winter and uncooperative shins make me all kinds of unpleasant to be around :P Spending too much time on the boards makes me sad that I can't run more, so I've mostly just been coming in to check on the colony Smile Hope you all have a lovely weekend!

WTG on the PR, awood! Patiently waiting for Zel's time now Big grin

6.7 miles for me this morning! I was hoping for a full 8 but the crappy holiday party good from last night prevented that!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I don't think I could get mad.  This was actually a lot more fun because she threw down the challenge, and I probably did as well as I did because of it.  I want her to PR too.  I have to admit though, there is a small part of me that hopes she runs a 25:49:49. 

Congrats awood. You will easily break 25:00 next time.  You, the MACHINE  !!!!