Beginners and Beyond

Beat the Heat Tuesday Penguins (Read 22 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Up at 5:20 on my first day of summer vacation.  What's wrong with this picture?  It is already 76 degrees outside.  I'm trying to get my sleepy behind out the door by 6 am for 5 easy miles.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

PADRunner

The early Penguin gets the worm! About the same here. 5 or 6 after coffee.

From the Internet.

Morning! 6 easy miles done, shower and breakfast done too. DH has been heading into work early lately (leaving at 6:30 AM to catch a 6:42 train) so I believe I'm going to be up earlier than usual for most of my runs this summer. I was very tempted to go back to sleep and run midday at work when my alarm went off, but then I thought about how hot it would be and all the stuff I have to do today and rolled my tired self out the door on time. Glad I did because it was a lovely 65 and the sun wasn't beating down on me yet.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I only got 2.2 miles done before I passed a group of smokers in the park and my lungs said "hell no".  Smoking is illegal in NYC parks but the law just isn't enforced.  Went home and showered off which helped my lungs a bit was debating using my inhaler but my HR dropping helped  with the breathing.  Normally I can deal with passing smokers on my run but between the heat and my body still not being 100% recovered from this stupid URI I didn't want to risk it.  I'll finish the rest on the TM later.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Run/walk after work at Fort Sam Houston. Gail's car is getting some work done so I'm picking her up after work and she will do a swim workout while I go do my thing.  The rain today is SUPPOSED to start clearing out but right now - about 7:30 am. Texas time - the San Antonio skies are dark and it's still raining off-and-on; just some light sprinkles right now, but still, with all the rain we've had since our Memorial Day flooding, we really don't need any more moisture around for a bit; needs to dry up for a week or so and let those poor folks that got flooded  get the rest of their clean-up done.

Today is June 23 and it is National Pink Day, "Let It Go" Day; and Runner Selfie Day!  Post your selfies!

Unfortunately, these runners didn't have time to take a selfie....

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  No quartet rehearsal this week, as our lead has family in town.  So I get to go home and spend time with DH!  His birthday present came in yesterday, so maybe I'll get it wrapped today.  I'm way ahead of the game, since his birthday isn't until mid-July!

sapf -- I feel you!!  I told my PT lady that I'm getting up at 5:00 just to do her exercises.  She apologized profusely.  Hope your 5 easy was awesome!!

PAD -- hope there were no worms in your 5 or 6, or in your coffee!!

Lauren -- woo-hoo for your 6!!  I would probably come home, shower, and go back to bed!

sapf -- eew, sorry about the smokers!!

scotty -- hope it's not too hot for you after work!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Pens !!!  Cooler today, so maybe we will try for 10.  Still getting used to the new TomTom.

From the Internet.

HsM - I seriously thought about it, haha.. If I didn't have to feed the kid and get her to school on time I probably would have! Might have to work a nap into my morning routine, maybe pack lunches the night before or something, if he keeps taking the early train.

Ahh I love not being on a set schedule yet - forgot that there's a 5 mile race in my town this weekend! Swapping my long run to tomorrow and using the race as a tempo-ish workout - HMP or progression to 10K pace if I'm feeling good, just MP miles if I'm feeling tired.

hog4life

I tried to beat the heat this morning by starting at 5:15 with a group of about 25. I was hoping to keep up with a couple guys for tempo pace, but Crohns said no. After that the heat just whipped me. I still managed 7.25 miles though.
                      GinnyinPA

Congratulations to all you early birds.  DH and I are both night owls, which makes it impossible to get up early enough to run.  I'll be doing a lot of TM for a while, I think.

PAD - hope your 5+ went well.

sapf - sorry the smokers short-circuited your run.

Lauren - you'll probably end up racing the race, no matter what you say going in.

Scotty - I hope you get dry skies for your run this evening.

HM - enjoy your evening at home.  Maybe a walk with DH?  I love walking in the evening in the summer.

Jerry - enjoy your cooler weather.  Did you get bad thunderstorms last night as they were predicting?

Mitch - that's a nice run, but way too early for me.  Sorry the stomach acted up.

AFM:  we're having Texas weather here - 90+ with DPs in the 70's and thunderstorms forecast.  I'm getting tired of the TM, but looks like I'll do my miles there again this evening.

From the Internet.

Lauren - you'll probably end up racing the race, no matter what you say going in.

*nods* This is likely to be true. My intentions are good but racing is just too much fun. Not planning to do any other quality besides my long run this week so it should work out OK if I really can't help myself Smile

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Ginny, the tornadoes and thunderstorms were about 75 miles SW of us.  We just got a little rain and cooler weather.  More rain forecast for Thursday when we are going to Wrigley.

Enjoy the TM run.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Only ran 8 as it was a little warmer than I thought it going to be.  Found out that the tomtom does not have a low battery warning so it died after 5.  Apparently, 1 bar=1 hour.  Fortunately, I had the old FR10 on as I was comparing them .  Felt like I was DC Rainmaker.

Zelanie

Lauren, I hope the race turns out to be fun!

Vancouver is really nice.  We parked the car on Saturday and haven't been back in it since.  We've just been walking around all over the place.  So I didn't run again today, but we already got a 7-mile walk around the park done, and we'll walk to the game and back later.  Having mostly a good time, although there's a reason why traveling with a teenager is legendary.  And sometimes traveling with a husband is the same way. 

We're going to see Japan vs. Netherlands in a bit.  We don't really have a favorite of those two (other than I think Japan would be a tougher opponent for the teams we DO like later on), so we're mostly hoping for a game with lots of goals, extra time, and maybe a penalty kick shootout at the end.