Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Comal Cops for Kids Gruene Turkey Trot 5K (Read 13 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

This was race number 62 for me for the year 2015, wow, 62 already, the year is flying by!  Held in Gruene [pronounced GREEN), Texas, an historic little town adjacent to New Braunfels, Texas, and about a 40 minute drive from where I live.   This one is the Comal Cops for Kids Gruene Turkey Trot , since Gruene is in Comal County and the Comal Cops for Kids Foundation supports the local children's advocacy center.  This is a VERY popular local area Turkey Trot race held annually and this year there were about 1,500 registered.  Don't think all of them showed up, but there were, 1,331 finishers for today's event, so a lot of them were there. Weather was very humid as rain was threatening - it never did rain on us, but might have been a blessing if it had, especially during the last part of the course - and the temp was 70 degrees.   After two crappy training runs on Tuesday and Wednesday, I felt pretty good today and ended up with a finish time of 32:33 chip time, finishing 9th out of the 21 in my 60-64 age group.  The guy who won in my age group finished in 24-something;  there are some speedy "old farts" in my age group, lol.

BEFORE THE START

Arrived at the race venue with about 40 minutes until the 8:30 a.m. start time.  Race tee was a very nice tech tee.

photo 081_zpsy4qdgweh.jpg

Then it was off to get some pre-start photos

The start was near Gruene Hall, an historic old entertainment venue where a lot of music stars - and especially country music -  got their start, have played, and still play.

photo 011_zpspimzjaux.jpg

Texas Flag waving proud in the wind

photo 069_zpsjkcqwd71.jpg

The actual start/finish line was in front of Gruene's historic old General Store...

photo 070_zpsywv4usso.jpg

AthleteGuild, a very good local race company, did the course setup, timing, results

photo 003_zps3kkkdgk6.jpg

Some of the pre-start participants, volunteers, et al....

photo 004_zpsguzxgocm.jpg

photo 005_zpsupyy7i8l.jpg

photo 006_zpstqhxjlgh.jpg

photo 007_zpscsziyxda.jpg

photo 008_zpsdnxtqorx.jpg

photo 009_zpsfud2xfd3.jpg

photo 010_zps9leasg0s.jpg

photo 012_zpsvv1qcmve.jpg

photo 013_zpspsewbrw7.jpg

photo 014_zpskbr1efqh.jpg

photo 015_zpsdjinmhvq.jpg

photo 016_zpsqdy3eccs.jpg

photo 017_zps8rksmy2d.jpg

photo 018_zpsujraqdh9.jpg

photo 019_zpsedlf4jkd.jpg

photo 020_zps5nbjcbeh.jpg

Some of the good folks I call friends from iRun Texas, a very good specialty running store in San Antonio.  Usually they are very busy doing their own races, but on Thanksgiving they actually get to do some racing themselves for a change.

photo 021_zps2btg3bse.jpg

photo 022_zpsh4nxcepq.jpg

photo 023_zpslzcrblqe.jpg

ON THE COURSE

I was towards the back of the pack taking a couple of photos when people started moving, so it took me about 3 minutes to get to the actual chip mat, lol.

Then I was on my way.  The course was a loop course and all paved roads.   The first part of the course the roads were quite wide allowing everyone to spread out nicely.

My first walk break....that is a lot of people out there forging on ahead of me

photo 025_zpsf8xxovsv.jpg

photo 027_zpsqnwpmphr.jpg

...and coming up from behind me....

photo 026_zpsvcg6iihy.jpg

photo 029_zpssmai38ev.jpg

photo 030_zpsubo3a65j.jpg

photo 031_zpszm2gwprb.jpg

photo 032_zpsxnm6qugg.jpg

My 2nd and final walk break of the course...this was a bit past the halfway mark....we were on an open road for this part of the course, so it was a bit more crowded along the shoulder, etc, as we could not spread out all over the road like we could for the first part of the course.  Even so, I did not see anyone having problems...at least not where I was at any given time, everyone I saw was quite polite about giving each other room to maneuver.

photo 033_zpsbdsck4rp.jpg

photo 034_zpse94nxwrk.jpg

photo 035_zpsbfns3hk2.jpg

photo 036_zpsv9uh0fcs.jpg

photo 037_zpszwaflcik.jpg

photo 038_zpsey2ozv6y.jpg

I chased this lady with the stroller a good part of the way for the last 1/2 mile.  You can't see it in this photo, but her other child is on a little seat at the back of the stroller...and she still beat me in, lol.  Pushing that thing must really get her into some shape!

photo 039_zpsx1tkhzbr.jpg

After that last photo, my watch beeped for me to run again and I did...non-stop for the last 1.2 miles.   I did manage to catch up and pass several people that had passed me during my walk break/photo take, so I guess I was doing okay.  Ended up averaging 10:30-something per mile, which I didn't think was too bad for an old dog...hey, in dog years, I'm 427! 

AFTER THE FINISH

Where are those post-race goodies?   Here they are...sausage wraps, served up by this volunteer....

photo 051_zpsew1ariox.jpg

photo 052_zpsnovcgbe0.jpg

...and cooked by these guys....

photo 077_zpsbiffkgwg.jpg

There was a nearby porch with tables to sit and relax for a bit and enjoy some of the goodies

photo 078_zpsstg5fdlx.jpg

photo 079_zpsnwpm0vai.jpg

...and various kinds of beer, oh yeah!

photo 054_zpsc0yndadr.jpg

And then....off to get more photos!

A few of the law enforcement folks that were there to keep us safe

photo 040_zpschp51vrn.jpg

Texas Ranger on the job!  He jokingly asked me if I got his good side.  I told him since he had a gun, I was going to say he didn't have a bad side at all. 

photo 057_zpsdr1gmkp4.jpg

"Happy Finishers", volunteers, supporters, etc.

photo 041_zpshrfjuvof.jpg

photo 042_zpslbxxeess.jpg

photo 043_zps3ykf8eu5.jpg

Me and my speedy friend, Deandra, who finished in 24-something....

photo 044_zpsylkkpfko.jpg

photo 045_zpswyotdrke.jpg

photo 046_zpsizrdleva.jpg

photo 047_zpsjrepkgg5.jpg

Blue Santa

photo 048_zpskkrzkjm6.jpg

photo 049_zpsublbkwu4.jpg

photo 050_zps0ofrhrc8.jpg

photo 053_zpsb543ps4y.jpg

photo 055_zpspby28phz.jpg

photo 056_zpsxyw4j5ic.jpg

photo 058_zpshbvrlyfh.jpg

photo 059_zps6ayzkssb.jpg

photo 060_zpsuy5hssix.jpg

photo 061_zps8vcguonq.jpg

Sheriff Turkey....

photo 062_zpsndmqxfpg.jpg

photo 063_zpsc3bdhvla.jpg

...and his tail feathers...

photo 067_zpsvzhyr4rt.jpg

The Sheriff led of the Kid's Run

photo 068_zpsfuyn0sur.jpg

Does he look here like a gang of kids are chasing him? 

photo 071_zpss7bs91e0.jpg

photo 064_zpsfgymtdzy.jpg

photo 065_zps2f96hyxm.jpg

Our Music Men

photo 072_zps6c7zknld.jpg

The one guy in front ran the course barefoot....ouch!  I can't do it...I got wimp feet, lol.

photo 073_zps69k3jfry.jpg

photo 074_zpswqabpvy4.jpg

photo 075_zpshrzwhuqt.jpg

photo 076_zpsontvgrc6.jpg

Team RWB! (Red White and Blue) - a veteran's organization of which I also am a member.  He just recently relocated here, so I gave him some info about Team RWB San Antonio chapter and some of our weekly running outings.   Hope to see him again sometime at some of the RWB events and some local races.

photo 080_zpsal8p5dxu.jpg

EPILOGUE

I tend to rotate each year between our local Turkey Trots - we have about 4 of them each year - doing one one year, another one the next year, etc, so it's been a year or two since I did this one, and this one is one of my favorites; nice course, lots of 'colorful' people in various costumes; done in a historic place, nice post-race goodies, good quality race shirt, really  a very nicely done-up event.  If you ever get a chance definitely give this one a try, I think you will really enjoy yourself.  Mucho thanks to all the folks out there for us and that made this one happen for we participants: law enforcement, medical staff, volunteers, sponsors, race organizers, residents of Gruene who let us take over their town roads for the majority of the morning, etc.

After I got home, I had some very good turkey and biscuits for lunch that my lovely wife had cooked up - mmm, good! - and then relaxed with my cats, Midnite and Scoop, enjoying watching the Eagles lose to the Detroit Lions.  What's bad for the Eagles in the NFC East is good for my Redskins in the NFC East.  Now, if the Cowboys will just lose today too....

Midnite was an outside cat who got run over accidentally  - by me, actually; silly cat laid down in our driveway as I as backing up - and got his leg all torn up;  my wife and I got him treated for several weeks and amazingly he kept the leg, and now only has a slight limp.  How he lives with us and is very relaxed and happy living with us, as you can tell, here is lying on my lap, purring away, as we watch the game.

photo 082_zpspvkou9cl.jpg

Scoop broke a bone in her foot last Saturday - again, Gail and I were quick to get her treated which I think made a difference - and as you can see, she has adapted pretty well to having to wear her splint; totally relaxed here.  She is a rescue too, we found her living under our deck and took her in.  She is a very sweet cat and is about a year old.

photo 002_zpsbnwnmajq.jpg

She is quite comfortable with my Redskins blanket, lol.   Now just try to give her a Dallas Cowboys anything and the hissing starts.. 

photo 083_zpsjthmp6hv.jpg

Wishing everyone a happy and safe Thanksgiving and holiday season!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

I'm glad your difficult running this week didn't mean a hard race for you.  Looks like a fun one with all the costumes.  I'm glad the rain held off.

Docket_Rocket

Awww.  I think Midnight decided to get run over so you could let her in the house.  Smile

And awww, poor kitty.

Great RR!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Always enjoy your photos of races in your neck of the woods especially since one of my DW's BFF relocated there a couple years ago.  Your local races always features good home-cooked offerings to the runners.  Don't have that here in in the ATL.  Like that runner's "Huffin' for the Stuffin" shirt. Just like you, I enjoyed the Eagles and Cowboys getting their stuffing beat out of them on Turkey Day - longtime Skins fan here.

Scotty you are always an inspiration.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Half Crazy K 2.0

Great shot of the guy with a pre- race beer. 62 events? Wow!