Beginners and Beyond

Garmin on the trail (Read 66 times)

GinnyinPA

Last week, while on vacation, I decided to use my Garmin 10 on a couple of dayhikes just to see how far we were hiking and what the elevation gain was.  I found it really frustrating.  The watch's auto-pause kept turning off and on, even though I was still moving.   Maybe it was because I was walking slowly (hiking with dog plus DH has bad knees), maybe because the terrain was in a narrow canyon with dense tree cover, but it made for some weird results.  The 'moving time', 'elapsed time' and 'actual time' were over an hour different.  Because the climb was steep, and in places there were a lot of switchbacks, the mileage was also way off.

I probably won't be using it again while hiking, but it made me wonder about its accuracy while trail running.  Do any of you find that your Garmins get really inaccurate on trails?

LRB

I do not run trails but my Garmin worked fine when I walked with it last winter.  I would suggest you turn the auto-pause feature off the next time you are out there.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Mine has always been fine on trails... though sometimes it will say lost GPS signal on trails with lots of hills and stuff.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

I have more than a few garmins for a variety of navigation or tracking needs.

Definitely turn off auto pause.

Zelanie

It could have been an off day.  One day the satellites were so bad that my Garmin was auto-pausing for me during a track workout!  Talk about feeling slow!  I have only used it on a few trail runs, but it seemed to work pretty well for me on the trails.  We weren't that far out, though, and tree cover wasn't super heavy.

Birdwell

Last week, while on vacation, I decided to use my Garmin 10 on a couple of dayhikes just to see how far we were hiking and what the elevation gain was.  I found it really frustrating.  The watch's auto-pause kept turning off and on, even though I was still moving.   Maybe it was because I was walking slowly (hiking with dog plus DH has bad knees), maybe because the terrain was in a narrow canyon with dense tree cover, but it made for some weird results.  The 'moving time', 'elapsed time' and 'actual time' were over an hour different.  Because the climb was steep, and in places there were a lot of switchbacks, the mileage was also way off.

I probably won't be using it again while hiking, but it made me wonder about its accuracy while trail running.  Do any of you find that your Garmins get really inaccurate on trails?

That's pretty typical in my experience. Switchbacks and climbs get thrown completely out of whack.

as others have suggested, ditch the auto pause and I haven't heard it here yet but there is a way to get it to record every second instead of every three to six seconds, depending on your particular watch (If I recall, garmin calls it the Smart Recording? or something like that)

that would increase the accuracy and help it see the switchbacks a bit more clearly.

Hmm, I must not use auto-pause. I get reasonable distance estimates although elevation might be 10+% high. There is a setting to help distinguish motion from randomly having satellite think you are moving - I think it's the minimum pace you want considered as moving. On our big mountains - 3000ft up in 2.2 mi with some stretches near 50+% slopes - my gps frequently thinks I'm stopped. I *know* I wasn't stopped that long. But the amount of up and distance are reasonable when I'm all done. I use it on all my runs and many hikes (might use my handheld gps in some cases).

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                RabbitChaser

My garmin usually measure trail courses short due to all the switch backs, the tree cover might hinder it a bit as well. I don't use the auto pause feature so I have never had it act up like you described.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

My garmin usually measure trail courses short due to all the switch backs, the tree cover might hinder it a bit as well. I don't use the auto pause feature so I have never had it act up like you described.

I turned on my Auto-Pause feature when I got my Garmin, but honestly I think it's helped once and hindered a half dozen times. So I'll probably turn it off. I'm in the habit of pausing my Garmin when I hit a stoplight or something.

- Andrew

Zelanie

Yeah, I turned off autopause after that day at the track.  Don't miss it.

LRB

There is a setting to help distinguish motion from randomly having satellite think you are moving - I think it's the minimum pace you want considered as moving.

That is a good point, I remember setting that on mine now that you mentioned it.

GC100k

Last decade I had a deal for a few years to GPS track trails in the Ozarks for BackPacker Magazine.  Some were published in the magazine.  You can't really expect the same accuracy in the hollows and bends that you do on a road.  But that's the way it is in trails anyway.  One mile might be all rocky, every other step is sideways, and it's stair-step steep.  The next mile might be flat, spongy, runnable pine floor.  So not every mile is equal anyway and I thought the GPS track was accurate enough.  Sometimes weird things would happen when the GPS signal was spotty.  It might short-cut a cutback or it might insert a section of zero elevation when it was actually about 1400 feet (some big cliffs on the elevation profile).  I'd take notes and BackPacker would edit and fix the tracks.

So, ya, take trail mileage as approximate.  I don't have a Garmin and didn't know about the auto-pause thing, but sometimes I use RunTracker on my phone and it's close enough for my purposes.

TJoseph

I turned off auto pause after my first run with my new Garmin (my 305 didn't have it).  It seemed like it took 5-10 seconds to figure out I had started running again.  I just manually stop and start it at stop lights.  It has become a habit anyways.  I used the watch on an H3 run where half the run was wading through thigh high water in stream beds in the jungle and it seemed pretty accurate even though I was moving pretty slow.  I haven't done another one of those runs though.  One was enough.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Can't remember if my auto pause is off or if I set the minimal pace to 12:00 min/mile................ right now I am just too lazy to check though.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Can't remember if my auto pause is off or if I set the minimal pace to 12:00 min/mile................ right now I am just too lazy to check though.

I turned mine off after only a few uses when my numbers started looking odd. I had it set at 20:00 and it still paused when I was moving along at a pace twice as fast as that.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.