Beginners and Beyond

My running-related 15 minutes of fame, lol. (Corrected so it can actually be read now) (Read 108 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I remember doing this race in July of this year and a reporter did talk to me that morning, but I did not realize they were going to do a full story.  

Posted July 20, 2013

New Braunfels Herald-Zeitung

http://herald-zeitung.com/sports/local_sports/article_1ae37d44-f1bf-11e2-a504-0019bb2963f4.html

Kabrich Takes Life, Races, Step At A Time

photo orangeleafjpg_zpsdd82a36c.png

Scott Kabrich will get a time and place after crossing the finish line at the end of Saturday’s Orange Leaf Half Marathon and 5K, but make no mistake, he’s not trying to beat out any other 5K runner or even himself.

Instead he entered his 43rd 5K of the year to keep the same deadly opponent at bay that he battled 30 years ago.

“I just have this thing in my head, it’s not medically proven, but I have this thing in my head that as long as I keep running, every race that I finish is one more step that I’m still beating my cancer and that I won’t have a recurrence,” Kabrich said.

The 59-year-old was one of 800 runners to participate in the third annual Orange Leaf Half Marathon and 5K at the New Braunfels Town Center at Creekside on Saturday.

The event raised money for the New Life Children’s Center in Canyon Lake.

According to the American Cancer Society, researchers have not been able to find out whether physical activity can prevent cancer recurrence or slow the progression of the disease.

But for Kabrich, it can’t hurt, and he chronicles his runs at his website, scottydogreports.com.

Kabrich keeps the mentality that as long as he runs the cancer will stay in remission.

Being diagnosed was a stroke of both bad and good luck for Kabrich. His grandfather James Lawrence was diagnosed with the stomach cancer in 1983 and doctors advised the male relatives of Lawrence’s family to get checked because of the hereditary nature of the disease.

Kabrich was then in the Air Force and stationed in Turkey. Doctors discovered malignant polyps in his colon and treated it with radiation.

“It was kind of a fluke that I went in,” Kabrich said. “He was diagnosed, but he waited too long to go in and get checked and by then it spread through his system. By then it was too late.”

The event was in its third year with the 13.1-mile half-marathon beginning at 6:30 a.m. while the 5K kicked off 30 minutes later.

Orange Leaf Creekside owner Nusha Pelicano said that in years past the event has raised money for organizations like the YMCA and will team up with Chosen Adoption Services in 2014.

“We like helping the community, choosing a local charity and helping out,” Pelicano said.

The New Life Children’s Center is a facility for abused, neglected and troubled girls age 11-17 which in many cases have been through several foster care placements before coming to New Life.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jess runs for bacon

That's awesome Scotty!!

Docket_Rocket

Very nice, Scotty!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Every dog will have his day!

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

So, when do you get your reality show?  Scottydawg, the 5K hunter.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

WOO HOO!!  You're more than famous, you're INfamous!

Antipodean

Now we can say we knew you before you made the big time. Joking

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

PADRunner

Well deserved, congratulations!

Very cool, Scotty. Now.. don't let the fame go to your head. LOL

Very nice story Scotty.

Dave

Rondog65

Way to go, excellent article.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

Trail Monster

Nice write up!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Hip Redux

A nice change of pace to see a picture of YOU running!  Love the article.

You are a  rock star in this forum even without this article.  Keep up the fight.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Every dog will have his day!

May you have many more Scott!