Beginners and Beyond

Old Time Running Stats (NDRC) (Read 42 times)

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

I was doing some research on my very first marathon, the 1981 Philadelphia Distance Run.  There is very little info on the interwebz.  One of my parents friends cut out of the newspaper the course map, framed it with some photos of me and my Dad and gave it to us.  Well Dad in his narcissistic ways threw out the picture (never thinking that I might want it....ugh).

Anyway, I ran across this document that was one of the earlier attempts to collect and maintain a national registry of age-group times.  Some of the names are pretty cool though, perhaps Wcrunner may even have raced against some of them.  This is for your enjoyment, the entire listing can be found at this link

http://www.runscore.com/coursemeasurement/NRDCNews/default.html

Here is part of the Nov 1982 issue

And funny enough, you can still buy a shirt from the event.  I do not remember getting a T Shirt as a participant, and there were no medals.  I don't remember water stations, if there were some, probably less than 2 the entire 26.2 miles.  No GU or other energy items.

Got any old time stories (and I mean really old, like 30+ years ago)

LRB

Members Only jackets were all the rage back then. I had two (a black one and a grey one) and you could not tell me shit. lol

Oh, you meant running-wise? I tried out for high school track in the spring of '83 and to this day still have not felt the misery in any aspect of life that I felt that day!

Had that tryout been more practical, who knows what could have been. There was simply no point to the intensity and length of time spent running they put me through. None at all.

And yes, I am bitter. That was completely stupid.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The Philadelphia Distance Run or PDR was a half marathon, not a marathon. The first year I ran it was 1980. In 1981 I ran 1:20:54 and finished 323rd. I remember that particular t-shirt very well. As I recall, they gave out t-shirts only to finishers. Over the years many single-age, age group, American, and world records have been set on that course. Since then RnR has taken over the race and the course had been changed somewhat.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

1984, I learned what "boycott" meant and made a mental note that marathons were pretty cool after watching Joan Benoit run into the LA Coliseum to win one.

Likely played Crystal Castles on my buddy's Atari until having to go to soccer practice and run ONE WHOLE LAP around the field to warm up.  26 miles was totally unfathomable in relation, Olympic athletes may as well have been gods and goddesses.

Marathons in July & August - WTF?

Dave

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

George, I was somewhat confused.  I ran the Philadelphia Marathon on Nov 29, 1981 which was won by Jan Yerkes (PA) for the women.  She is still running local 5k's here in Bucks County, running 23:00min at age 58.  I thought they called the Marathon then the PDR.

What was also funny from that race was witnessing John Street, the future mayor of Philadelphia (D - 1990), then a 40 year old, hop on the sag wagon around mile 6, and then appearing at the finishing line later, recording a time (although said results are not publically available, they are in the newspaper archives or lost forever).  Even then cheating happened, but from a politician it must be a genetic trait.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

George, I was somewhat confused.  I ran the Philadelphia Marathon on Nov 29, 1981 which was won by Jan Yerkes (PA) for the women.  She is still running local 5k's here in Bucks County, running 23:00min at age 58.  I thought they called the Marathon then the PDR.

What was also funny from that race was witnessing John Street, the future mayor of Philadelphia (D - 1990), then a 40 year old, hop on the sag wagon around mile 6, and then appearing at the finishing line later, recording a time (although said results are not publically available, they are in the newspaper archives or lost forever).  Even then cheating happened, but from a politician it must be a genetic trait.

The 1981 Philadelphia Marathon was the last marathon I ran until the Bob Potts Marathon two years ago. It was also one of my slowest at 3:21:10.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Reebokabec

Jan Yerkes! I see her all the time at local races along with another speedy 55 year old named Gert Freas. They are fast!

As a teenager, I was a volunteer at the Philadelphia Distance run back in 86 or 87? (The XC coach made us do it.) I stood on the Ben Franklin Pwy in an orange pinney and pointed toward the Art Museum. LOL! Not exactly sure of the year, but Joan Benoit won and it was cool to see her in person.