Beginners and Beyond

Happy MLK Mondailies! (Read 73 times)

LRB

I watched the video of that link, LRB, and then I just had to laugh...

Trust me, I do the same thing every time I get down on that stupid mat ha-ha!

Seriously though, I am getting close to the point where I can race, and Mrs. Myrtle has me feeling confident that at a minimum I can manage the hip pain I dealt with last season, and at best not deal with it at all.

In either event, I am all in!

runmomto3boys

SIAR: My recovery run differential b/t MP and recovery pace is exactly the same range as what you are doing right now when I am doing it right.  It works for me just fine.  2:00?  That would probably be any better, but I am not disciplined enough to do that. My problem is that I sometimes run them faster than the 1:30-1:45 range - only 1:00 or just under that off of MP.  That, I have found, is definitely too fast.  When I run them too fast, I take a hit on the paces I am trying to hold on my MLRs/LR days and my legs are far more trashed than they should be.

Mmmmm...beer

While we're talking about recovery runs, I've decided that I am just incapable of running at a recovery pace, so I just do less miles and call it recovery.  6 miles @ 7:59/mile this afternoon, I swear I was trying to slow down.  lol

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Chairman

And not only did you promise to get one, you actually did. Grandma should be proud.

Unlike Lance Armstrong, I don't need to lie about stuff like that.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

Chairman

I'm glad she doesn't have my number.

If she calls and you don't pick up, she just keeps calling until you do.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I was just watching a TV show on Martin Luther King and it brought up some memories.

My mom died Dec 22, 2012.  I feel it especially poignantly  today because I grew up in the Washington DC area,  my mom worked for the Washington Post, and she took me to hear and to experience the "I Have A Dream" speech in Washington DC. I was only 9 years old at the time, but she told me when we went that I may not then understand everything that was happening, but when I got older I would appreciate the experience.     And through her connections with the Post, I even got to shake Dr. King's hand - I met him for all of 20-something seconds, but even so....  As I did get older, I certainly did appreciate having had that experience, and understood the significance of that event and felt lucky that I was one of those that got to be there in person.  My mom was a volunteer for Dr. King's cause, doing mailings, helping where she could locally, and so forth, and I often helped her with that.  I was with her when we both got the news of his being shot, another poignant memory for me, it was a very sad moment, and we mourned his loss, his family's loss, and the nation's loss.  Every day I am on this Earth, I am so thankful that I had parents who taught me to look for WHO people are on the inside, not WHAT they are on the outside. This stood me in good stead during my military career when I traveled to so many different countries and experienced so many  varied cultures and peoples and because of my parents' influence always made an effort to learn about these different peoples and cultures in the places where I lived and tried to be respectful of their customs and beliefs.   Consequently, I have many life-long friends who live all over the world.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

SIAR: My recovery run differential b/t MP and recovery pace is exactly the same range as what you are doing right now when I am doing it right.  It works for me just fine.  2:00?  That would probably be any better, but I am not disciplined enough to do that. My problem is that I sometimes run them faster than the 1:30-1:45 range - only 1:00 or just under that off of MP.  That, I have found, is definitely too fast.  When I run them too fast, I take a hit on the paces I am trying to hold on my MLRs/LR days and my legs are far more trashed than they should be.

Took me about 3 years to even remotely figure out how not to go too fast just because I could...in the past I'd have gotten an F in that class, now my "bad" days are close to a C+ (still annoying for a good student) haha.  It's frustrating not being able to hit paces in quality workouts just because I've blown it on easy days, but it happens.

Dtothe2nd...I'm one that said the same thing.  Your solution of running less miles definitely works too.  For me, I just think I need more miles to meet my marathon goal, so I have to run them smartly.  Usually that just means watching my watch a lot when I want recovery pace.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Docket_Rocket

But you still did it!  So cute.

I wasn't nearly as amused.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

As of now, scrape probably give it to her, just because....

I'm glad she doesn't have my number.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Chairman

Took me about 3 years to even remotely figure out how not to go too fast just because I could...in the past I'd have gotten an F in that class, now my "bad" days are close to a C+ (still annoying for a good student) haha.  It's frustrating not being able to hit paces in quality workouts just because I've blown it on easy days, but it happens.

Where's da fire, young man?

I think that's common. I was a big offender when I started running because it took me years to even get exposed to basic training concepts. I ran everything hard, took every run as a personal challenge, and overanalyzed every single fluctuation in pace. The only thing that saved me was that I didn't run a lot and I raced short distances.

I think over the years I learned to find the joy in going out and actually having a nice, comfortable, relaxing run without worrying about how fast I am going. When your attitude is "easy does it," staying at the proper pace seems to follow quite easily.

CrisRuns

4.2 miles. 82 posts on this thread? I hope to catch up.

Chairman

But you still did it!  So cute.

If it helps her sleep at night, I might as well.

Docket_Rocket

And it helps YOU sleep at night...she won't be calling you no more, ha.

If it helps her sleep at night, I might as well.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Scrape...+1  that's all I got!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

LRB

Scrape...+1  that's all I got!

I'll second that motion.

Supp Cris!

Nice story Scotty!