Beginners and Beyond

Face coverage for winter (Read 301 times)

Angelbethany

Hi all, I'm running outside all winter but my face gets so dried out. I hate wearing stuff over my face- I have a gaitor but I'm wondering if anyone has any tricks- moisturizer? Something? I know it sounds dumb.
    Just B.S.

I live in Canada and have been winter running for 13 years.

Moderately cold days I wear a neck warmer that can be pulled up over the  nose

if necessary.

Really cold days require a balaclava. A light layer of vaseline on exposed parts of

the face will help to keep it from drying out too much. Not a dumb question at all!

Mr MattM

Hi all, I'm running outside all winter but my face gets so dried out. I hate wearing stuff over my face- I have a gaitor but I'm wondering if anyone has any tricks- moisturizer? Something? I know it sounds dumb.

A thin coat of vaseline will keep the cold at bay...

be curious; not judgmental

When I lived in Canada, I'd run outside in -30 on a regular basis.  Wearing something over my face became a necessity, regardless if I liked it or not.  Aside from that, vaseline works...but if you're looking for something to protect your face, I bought a neoprene facemask that was very easy to breathe through, and it kept me toasty.

#artbydmcbride

Kids ULTIMATE BB Warm Brown 2-Stripe

Runners run

Vaseline works down to a certain point. I also like Serius's QuickDraw - like a balaclava but heavier on top and lighter material in the face area. For the cold, windy stuff, then neoprene facemask. I experimented until I found one that I could breathe reasonably well with - some have better nose and mouth holes than others. (I may also use goggles when the wind is blowing a bunch of debris.)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
              Nevrgivup

Sahalie Buff's are my absolute favorite. They are good for all seasons and they are very light. 

http://www.sahalie.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2067&itemType=CATEGORY&path=1%2C2%2C4%2C2067

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Thought about getting one of these myself.

BruceD555

Yikes Venom, just be careful running by elementary schools or on trails after dark - you might just incite a mob with pitchforks & torches.

I decided to grow a beard over this winter to help keep warm during runs but will probably have to add goggles/mask if things turn bitterly cold & windy.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Peace out!

Thought about getting one of these myself.

All kinds of wacky neoprene masks and half masks for $6-8 each:

https://www.tanga.com/deals/winter-apparel-gear

PRs:

5k -    22:39      12/11     10k -  49:10      11/11

20k -  1:56:56    9/12      13.1 - 1:54:07    3/12

30k -   3:05:54   9/12      26.2 -  5:00:27 10/12

runmomto3boys

I have a ninja mask, but I haven't had to use it, yet.  I also got a neck warmer from Lululemon that you can pull up over your mouth (or head), and then pull down and wear as a neck warmer if you get too warm. It is pretty versatile.  I have heard people looooove their buffs, though, like Hilary mentioned.

runmomto3boys

Oh, shoot.  I just re-read your OP and you are really asking about barrier stuff like moisturizer.  I have no idea!  Aquaphor?  Vasoline?  I haven't run through a winter yet, so I'm just making this all up.  Big grin

AutBatgirl

All right, I'm going to have to buy a couple of these!

No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.

A knit scarf over the mouth and nose works just fine... it has to be "airy" though, or you'll ice up and not be able to breathe well.  ChapStick and some moisturizer are great for keeping your lips and skin from drying out.

I was wondering if a Guy Fawkes (Vendetta) mask would be in there, and it was.  If it looked a little better I'd buy one.