Beginners and Beyond

Another Humpday Wednesday Penguins (Read 12 times)

GinnyinPA

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

GinnyinPA

It's another cool but sunny day - high of 55 - so I'll probably do 6 or so this afternoon to enjoy the autumn weather.

I found out why I've been having issues with energy lately - low ferritin. Now I get to find out why, starting with a colonoscopy in the near future. Not fun. I've never had one, but when Jim did, he was not a happy camper. The doctor said nothing about trying to get my iron levels back up via meds. I think she wants to do all sorts of tests to find out the cause first, so I get to continue dragging my a$$ for the next few weeks. Since all the costs of the tests come out of my pocket (high deductible) I'm not real thrilled. But I would like to get my energy back.

Zelanie

I had low ferritin. I started taking 3 iron pills a day until it came up. Now I take 2 to maintain. I think being a female runner and not tall is all it takes. I went through the colonoscopy and endoscopy for that and some other things and all they found was yeast in my upper GI.

I get a brand of iron online that doesn't seem to upset my GI. I can check which one it is when I get home.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Hi Pens!

Ginny my iron levels were low last year during marathon training.  I started taking ferrochel (bought on amazon) and it seemed to help.  I took it at night before bed with some vitamin C to help absorb it.

Today I'll try to get out there for another mile or two.  I have a bunch of ceiling painting to do today.  I hate painting ceilings because I'm short and have to climb up and down from a step ladder about a million times.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

It's another cool but sunny day - high of 55 - so I'll probably do 6 or so this afternoon to enjoy the autumn weather.

I found out why I've been having issues with energy lately - low ferritin. Now I get to find out why, starting with a colonoscopy in the near future. Not fun. I've never had one, but when Jim did, he was not a happy camper. The doctor said nothing about trying to get my iron levels back up via meds. I think she wants to do all sorts of tests to find out the cause first, so I get to continue dragging my a$$ for the next few weeks. Since all the costs of the tests come out of my pocket (high deductible) I'm not real thrilled. But I would like to get my energy back.

I hope this gets resolved for you really soon!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Went to the new YMCA after work yesterday to do an 'exploring run' in the area around the Y.  Well, when I got there I found it the Y was REALLY new - it was still in the process of being built, lol.   So it was off to nearby Lackland Air Force Base to get my run in.  Very nice run/walk in the nearby housing area across from the gym, had forgotten how nice that area was, been a while since I ran there.  Feeling pretty good so I extended my planned 3 miles, just kept going, and ended up with 5 miles.  Love it when a running day turns out like that, everything feeling good and you feel strong.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Afternoon!  busy day for me with court, then putting out fires at the office (one after another).  Anyway, ran 4 this morning in Wintery 75F, and have Pilates tonight.

Z, Ginny, I asked hubby to test my ferritin and thyroid panel levels. Feeling so run down lately, and my mom got diagnosed with thyroid too.

Damaris

Buelligan

I had low ferritin.

I think I got the opposite of that.

Buelligan

Feeling pretty good so I extended my planned 3 miles, just kept going, and ended up with 5 miles.  Love it when a running day turns out like that, everything feeling good and you feel strong.

I ran 5 miles today, too.  I hate it when I see buzzards circling above me.  I must have looked wounded to them.

GinnyinPA

Scotty - do you still have the membership to all the Ys in the SA area?

Zelanie

I ran 5 miles today, too.  I hate it when I see buzzards circling above me.  I must have looked wounded to them.

I live by the river, and the vultures love to circle around the flood plain where I start and finish my runs. I always figure it's because  I look like death on my way back.

Buelligan

I live by a river, too.  My run takes me past a migratory bird sanctuary where the county floods pastures for marsh birds.   Good for the birds, I say.