Beginners and Beyond

Tempo runs - yea or nay? (Read 56 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The more I think about tempo runs and the benefits or lack thereof that I seem to get from them, the less enamored I am with them. It seems more frequent racing over shorter distances and interval workouts coupled with high end aerobic runs are more effective. Anyone else sense this or have this experience?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I don't have the experience to really debate on an acceptable level.

However, I will add what I have found:

Tempo runs and training via racing seem to be almost mutually exclusive.

Ie: when I am racing nearly every weekend 2 mile, 5k without taper, the race itself is a hard tempo effort with the added benefit of race experience. In which case I have no tempo workouts.

When I do have tempo workouts, typically for Half and marathon distances, my weekly races fall off and I do not even realize I have not been racing.  The difficulty with a tempo (alone) workout is the mental strength to keep the effort and pace when no-one is around to work with or work from.

So, are they more effective or just as effective?  I can't say but I do, at this point in my running career, think they each have their place.

onemile

How do you judge that you're not getting benefits from them?

What is a high end aerobic run?

LRB

First, let me add this qualifier; because different plans intermix tempo run lingo, I am speaking of tempo runs that are closer to 10k pace, not marathon pace.

In that regard, tempo runs require an incredible amount of focus and tend to wear on you the longer you run, so I generally run them in 1200 intervals, 1 mile repeats, or 2 mile repeats.

To run 3 or 4 miles steady state at tempo pace is tough (for me), and I only do that when a 10k or half marathon is on the horizon. But yes, they are a regular part of my training. I haven't gotten to the point where I am ready to drop them, but of course I am not all that experienced, either.

Cyberic

From what I understand of Daniels, running at MP or Easy pace is all Aerobic work. There's no additional physiological benefit to running at MP than running at easy pace.

The benefits start if you hit the Lactate Threshold pace. Then, your body has to work against (or with) something new.

This is also the case with VO2Max pace.

But running at MP is useful to get your body used to that pace. Kinda like muscle memory.

But I don't know what I'm talking about, so please ignore this comment 

onemile

First, let me add this qualifier; because different plans intermix tempo run lingo, I am speaking of tempo runs that are closer to 10k pace, not marathon pace.

In that regard, tempo runs require an incredible amount of focus and tend to wear on you the longer you run, so I generally run them in 1200 intervals, 1 mile repeats, or 2 mile repeats.

To run 3 or 4 miles steady state at tempo pace is tough (for me), and I only do that when a 10k or half marathon is on the horizon. But yes, they are a regular part of my training. I haven't gotten to the point where I am ready to drop them, but of course I am not all that experienced, either.

I really struggle with a straight tempo run.  Mentally mostly.

It seems like as I have gotten faster, all workouts are harder. I used to like tempo runs once upon a time.. Races help me push myself more. I have wondered if I should race short distances more.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

From what I understand of Daniels, running at MP or Easy pace is all Aerobic work. There's no additional physiological benefit to running at MP than running at easy pace.

The benefits start if you hit the Lactate Threshold pace. Then, your body has to work against (or with) something new.

This is also the case with VO2Max pace.

But running at MP is useful to get your body used to that pace. Kinda like muscle memory.

But I don't know what I'm talking about, so please ignore this comment 

Daniels has relaxed his view a little in later editions, but his focused approach for workouts targeting a specific physiological measure like LT or VO2Max aren't pragmatic and don't fit the real world where we rarely ever race at those paces. I've totally rejected his view on "quality junk" training and not training at those paces between those he designates.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I really struggle with a straight tempo run.  Mentally mostly.

It seems like as I have gotten faster, all workouts are harder. I used to like tempo runs once upon a time.. Races help me push myself more. I have wondered if I should race short distances more.

These are killer for me - I find them more difficult to complete as written than any of my other workouts.

onemile

Daniels has relaxed his view a little in later editions, but his focused approach for workouts targeting a specific physiological measure like LT or VO2Max aren't pragmatic and don't fit the real world where we rarely ever race at those paces. I've totally rejected his view on "quality junk" training and not training at those paces between those he designates.

A good article about that:

http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2012/06/physiological-model-of-training-why-it.html

LRB

It seems like as I have gotten faster, all workouts are harder. I used to like tempo runs once upon a time.. 

It's because as your race times get faster, so do your training paces, so there is never a break so to speak. So what was once your 5k PR pace for instance, becomes your 10k pace, which is both awesome and insane at the same time. lol

onemile

It's because as your race times get faster, so do your training paces, so there is never a break so to speak. So what was once your 5k PR pace for instance, becomes your 10k pace, which is both awesome and insane at the same time. lol

But shouldn't it take the same effort to run at "Tempo" pace, regardless? But it doesn't .It takes so much more effort now.

LRB

But shouldn't it take the same effort to run at "Tempo" pace, regardless? But it doesn't .It takes so much more effort now.

The effort should be the same yes, the only difference is the numbers, generally speaking. This is why 5ks suck equally for everyone regardless of the finish times.

If you're struggling with tempo pace, it might not be your true tempo pace.

MTA: Do you do strides and/or form drills before getting into the quality portion of a tempo run? Maybe you're not loose enough.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Also, keep in mind as fitness increases and speed increases the margins are much closer.

Even though you develop more gears, what used to be a dramatic difference between easy, tempo and race is no longer so dramatic.

Easy pace becomes quite a large range and that range is in flux according to fatigue level that day. (Assuming you run easy according to effort level.)

Though all the above is very debatable depending on training philosophies.

LRB

Great article. Thanks for posting.

I tried a couple of times but couldn't get through it. Too many words, too little brain, lack of attention span (ooh look, a deer!), I'd rather be running uphill in a sandstorm than subjected to that. Et cetera, et cetera.