Beginners and Beyond

Beat the Heat Saturday Dailies (Read 22 times)

4.5 RR grade, mostly slightly elevated,  followed wife walk around the Accotink.

The RR and also dirt bump runs also double as prep for roadcrown.  The RR are .5 downs and ups has patches of tilt; the dirt bumps also have party’s of tilt...both chew on the back of the right leg a bit.  So I am still picking at getting ready to run road but no road experiments any time soon.

Docket_Rocket

Morning! I have Pilates and 6 today. My back is sore (probably from the bike).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Cyberic

Morning, I did the minimum length run that I call a LR, that is 2 hours flat.

Did a tempo section of 23'/5'/23' that would normally be MP/15KP/MP, but because of the heat, and my lack of acclimatation to it, I did it by effort. Resulting paces are 7:00 / 6:52 / 6:58. I might have taken it a bit too easy in the 5 minutes, but overall the numbers show I managed my effort pretty well. RP blew up and did the 2nd 23' at 7:30ish pace.

delicate flower

1:32:16 in my HM.  12 OA, 1 AG.  886' of uphill, with some warm humidity added in.  I assumed this would be a short course (I got 12.86) but other folks got 13.1, so maybe it's just me?? Anyway, I had a good run.  The course was relentless.  At no point during this race did I feel like I was going fast.  I won my AG by 8+ minutes.

<3

onemile

I decided to try a new running group this morning which started at 8am, so I ran 4.5 miles before the group started, and then 10 with the group. The guy I ended up running with was really struggling in the last 5 miles... it was near 80 by then.. so we slowed down quite a lot.  Anyway, 15 total.

Half Crazy K 2.0

7 with a virtual 5k thrown in. It was hot and I was done after that.

Baboon, congrats on the AG win! Have you looked at Strava to see if there are any oddities with people's routes? The 5k I did in the fall showed just how little the course was marked--there was a range from 3.1 to 4+ miles and then also a wide range for the 10k.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Well, it was a hot day on a slow course and being 55 years old didn't matter because they were doing 10-year age groups, so I was right in the middle of the 50-59 band.  My time was not even close to a PR thanks to conditions, but I did come in 2nd in my AG.

My son ran the 5k and won his AG (1-14 M) and came in 24th overall out of 141. (Where's the proud father icon?)

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Baboon - That was a lot of uphill in the half...had to be tough combined with the warm weather. Great race!

Fred - congrats to you and your son.  Great races!

I did 9.6 with the last 4.6 at HMP-MP. Pretty pleased with the effort and minimal sore/tightness from the remains of my most recent left hammy tedinopathy episode.

Funny thing about my rehab is that I was making little progress, with soreness and tightness after every run no matter how slow or short. Then, two weeks ago, I ran 2 miles "hard" on the back end of a 5 mile run. During my run, I stopped at a bagel shop to get a bagel for my daughter who had a rowing regatta that morning. I was late because I ran a bit more than I should have before getting to the store. So, I picked things up on the way home, not because I intended to but, because I would have been in deep doodoo if I didn't get the bagel home by 7am! Ever since, the tendinopathy has been much better. Maybe the faster pace loosened up scar tissue or something. Anyway, I'm happy it's in remission or whatever this current state is called. I'm now doing two PT sessions a week for a while to try and build glute, hammy and general strength in the hope I can build my miles and pace this summer without straining it again. We'll see...

LRB

I ran 7.

During the last mile, I came across a small piece of banana on the ground. About a tenth of mile later, was half a banana still in its peel. Then a few steps later, another small piece. What??

My guess is it belonged to a cyclist and got caught up in the rear spoke...either that or something mysterious. 

sdWhiskers

13.5 mi solo with about half on trails. I live 3-4 miles from several trailheads so did a big loop: ran to the trail, 6ish on the trail to the other end then back to the house. I was about an hour later hitting the trail portion than usual so instead of seeing ~10 mountain bikers, there were like 70. Most were courteous.

Congrats to our racers today! Annoying to finally get the races back and it's 80-90 in May   Here it was a cooler than usual, only around 60 now.

LRB

My former boss's retirement party was yesterday (I will refrain from referring to him as the jackass moving forward as I try to turn the page on that whole awful experience), held outside at a picnic shelter and there wasn't a mask around for miles. Not much social distancing either so it'll be interesting to see what the fallout will be if any. The kicker is the human resources director was there, so if there is a close-contact positive case reported, the entire workforce may be forced into quarantine!

Nice job Baboon and Fred...under the circumstances! Shitty races are better than no races. 

16 miles with 8 at MP. Paces were about where I wanted them to be, but the effort felt harder than I’d like, and it seems there is no way in hell I could ever hold it for 26.2 miles. So, just like always at this point in the cycle. Race is two weeks from tomorrow. 

Pro tip: cola flavored Gu is disgusting.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

I like the Cola flavored Gu but it has to be cold like the soda so I put mine in the freezer before running. If hot it’s disgusting.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I like the Cola flavored Gu but it has to be cold like the soda so I put mine in the freezer before running. If hot it’s disgusting.

In fairness I have not actually had cola of any kind in many years, so I sort of forgot what it tasted like, lol.

Dave

👏👏👏 baboon and Fred

and hopefully wolvmar congrat finding a bit that works