Beginners and Beyond

Patriotic Penguin Weekend (Read 20 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

hog4life

Happy Independence Day!

I did the Independence Mile last night in 6:40. Today is work, then a few miles with Ainsley's Angels at our fundraiser/awareness event. Check out their website when you get time at www.ainsleysangels.org .

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Birthday to U.S.

SRD.  Sore toe from yesterday's LR, but should get a long walk in.  Hope I can make it to our Sunday morning social run.  No big holiday plans for us.    DD1 and hubby (and pit bull) coming over for ribs.  DD2 is in NOLA.

Good luck weekend racers !!!

Robert31320

Team TJ

No big plans, at least that I planned...there have been plenty made for me.  I'm starting to realize a true hatred for holidays.

happy 4th of July everyone.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Happy 4th!  I have 9 miles tonight.

Mitch, great job on the 1 mile!

Jerry, enjoy the rest.  What is your toe issue?  Do you have arthritis like me?

Robert, we also do not plan to do anything and hate the crowded holidays.  Not the holidays per se but the activities full of people.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

5.5 Done this morning. Off to work later, supposed to be a big crowd tonight.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I also dislike crowds, which explains my absence at the Grateful Dead concert.

hog4life

I also dislike crowds, which explains my absence at the Grateful Dead concert.

But you run all these crowded races!

GinnyinPA

One of the problems I have with big races is the crowds.  Haven't done any yet, but I've been know to get seriously claustrophobic in situations where the crowding was too much.

PAD - are they doing fireworks at the track tonight?

Mitch - nice race result from your mile.  You're speedy.  Have fun at your fundraiser.

Robert - sorry you're getting corralled into events you don't want to attend.  Hope you carve some quiet time for yourself.

Jerry - enjoy your walk and barbeque today.

D - good luck with the nine tonight.

It's a rainy day here.  After we walk the dog, I may do a few miles on the TM.  We're driving 2-3 hours down to MD for a wedding this evening, then home again. Normally we would have camped afterwards to avoid the late drive, but 4th of July the campgrounds are full.  Not really looking forward to it but it's family.

PADRunner

PAD - are they doing fireworks at the track tonight?

Yes. Another show in the city cancelled and a lot of the lakes are still closed due to high water so we're expecting 28,000 tonight. Hopefully I can get out of there between the last race and the fireworks or I'll be stuck till midnight.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all!  Happy fourth of July :-)  Today I did 5 miles in the Catskills.  Holy crap hills =D  It was a bit rainy but that was actually refreshing.  I should go be social now since there are about 30 people here that I only see once a year at this gathering.  My friend is so awesome for organizing this group vacation - this year he actually just rented an entire hotel for us to stay out with tennis courts, an indoor and outdoor pool, and lots of common space.  We're all playing nerdy board games for the weekend though there was some awesome chicken fighting last night in the indoor pool =D  I'm off to go be social.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

But you run all these crowded races!

...and pay a lot of money to do it...LOL  !!!

Zelanie

Saph, that sounds like an incredible weekend! Have fun!

Mitch, congrats, speedy!

PAD- Hope that you're able to get out of there on time!

Jerry- Hope the toe heals up! Is it the nail? And I probably don't have to tell you thay I'd be at that Dead concert if I lived closer. Smile

Robert, I hope your 4th is better than you were expecting.

D- Enjoy the non celebration and hope the cats are OK.

Ginny- Hopefully it will be good to catch up with some family members. Hope that you get home safely!

I am always looking for ways to break up my run or a different route to keep things interesting. Today that meant that I ran to my MIL's house, watched the soccer game, then ran home. The run there was nice. For the run back, it was 95 degrees and climbing when I left. So I took it super easy. It was still a way to break up the monotony.

Robert31320

Team TJ

3.3 miles to get Sunday kicked off right.

Running for TJ because he can't.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Jerry- Hope the toe heals up! Is it the nail? And I probably don't have to tell you thay I'd be at that Dead concert if I lived closer. Smile

I did go to a Dead concert once, but they cancelled.