Beginners and Beyond

Terrific TUESDAILIES (Read 53 times)

Hip Redux

Scotty - you totally have had your share!  Yowsa.

YAYpril - B-Plus

Scotty, you are such an inspiration. There are so many other people who would just say "aw screw it" and stop doing ANYTHING. Not you. You're incredible. Smile

5 fartleky miles done in the rain. Well, I started when the heavy rain had finally stopped - it wasn't really doing anything. I wasn't really feeling the run until the beginning of mile 3, when it actually started lightly raining again. It just made me feel ALIVE, ya know? My run turned around at that point and I really enjoyed the rest of it. I'm glad I wore my "retired" running shoes, because I felt too lazy to run around the puddles that I just stomped right through them like a five-year-old.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Scotty:  I just wanted to say good for you!!  You have battles through a lot of health problems and are still going strong!!  As a health care provider, I see people every day who are on disability and sit around and do nothing for problems that pale in comparison to yours!!  Keep it up!

Well, I'll tell you what motivated me right off today, Ami.  As I was leaving the hospital from my appointment, I heard someone call out "Hey, Scottydog!"  I looked over and it was a guy I know from the local races.  And this guy is a Wounded Warrior, double leg amputee, from just above the knees down, who does wheelchair racing.  I thought to myself "Jeez, and I think I have problems."

Here is this guy I see at several races over the year, and he is always positive and smiling and encouraging to everyone out there on the course. And today was no exception.  As we chatted about why we were each there that day, he said "Oh hell, Dog, I know this won't get you down, you're not the type, this is just a bump in the road.  I mean, jeez, 73 races last year!  Who are you kidding that this is going to get YOU down?"  And I thought, "good lord, here is this friend, who probably has to deal with so much every day, probably more than I can even imagine, doing things most of us take for granted, and yet he is encouraging me!"

After his life changed forever, with one explosion, he could have just given up but he didn't.  He accepted that his life is what it is now and he went out rehabbed like hell and made his life work for him.  I first met him at the inside swimming pool at the base gym.  We were both in the water, in the deep end, treading water and chatting, and I didn't even realize he had no legs until we got out and sat on the side of the pool.  He laughed at my initial surprise and said "I may not have legs, but I can swim like a damn dolphin."  He was just so matter-of-fact and down-to-earth about it all, very impressive.  He remains active, he has a good administrative job doing something he likes, he volunteers helping other Wounded Warriors, and he has a great family - I've met them at the races too - who loves him and encourages him.

He is one of the reasons I love being retired military....because I have base access, I run on the bases a lot and I see quite a few of these folks, both men and women, out there doing their thing too, running or walking with their prosthetics, or zipping around in their racing chairs, or at the gym weightlifting or swimming, or on the cardio machines, or doing whatever.  They are SO personally inspiring to me! Every time I see them, it  makes me think "What the hell do I have to complain about?"  They motivate me  to keep myself motivated and just shut up and do it.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

FTW.  I've had the 410, the 610 and the 910.  They get better the higher the price.

A few extra hundred dollars and that problem goes away.

Big grin

DCDan - my husband has the 305.  It's a classic.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Ball of Fury

That's awesome Scotty!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Docket_Rocket

Sorry you've gone through so much!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

1954 (my birth year) - for a birth defect

1974 - left knee surgery (helicopter crash)

1975 - right hand surgery (finger nearly severed by a Filipino bar-girl..and she was trying for another guy!  Really bad aim on her part, lol)

1976 - left knee surgery (infected bone)

1982 - right foot surgery (sliced a couple toes up)

1983 - my cancer was found; subsequent surgery

1985 - elective surgery - vasectomy; and now if I slide back on my chair too fast, pressuring the scars, my voice goes up an octave or two for a bit   Joking

1993 - left knee surgery (torn meniscus)

2003 - minor back surgery, the year my spinal arthritis and degenerative disk disease flared up really bad)

2004 - right knee surgery (torn meniscus)

2005 - bi-lateral hernia surgery, hernias found on the right and left sides

Continuing since 2003, and for the rest of my life:  Epidural Spinal Injection once a quarter for my spinal arthritis

Ta Da!  Big grin

So I'm really hoping this miniscule hernia really behaves itself and I don't have to have another surgery.  I think I've had my share.

Now THAT is a guy who has earned himself a 9-hour marathon!

Dave

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Gee, flarunner, didn't that hurt, running under a shower of small springs? Wink  Congrats on your miles!

Good luck with your miles, Dave!  Hope you keep your balance...running miles on the tap....

Dang, Phil, 140 pounds may be light to you!  I can't even do that much with two good legs, lol.  I can do about 100 or so on the leg press. Way to go!  I am with LRB on the recumbent bike. Supposedly better for your back..it just bothers mine.

Ami, I am sure it will get better as your body gets used to the workout.  Wow, kudos for getting out there at 3:30 a.m. sheesh!

Good luck with the 4 miles Sparker!

DaveP, you can always come visit. My run today was at 9 a.m. and it was a pleasant 56 degrees and sunny.  We are heading to 77 degrees today for a high.  Only one shirt required.  Big grin  Way to get out there in that 33 degrees....BRRRR!

Good luck with the workout, Bruce!

Sarah, glad your weather up there in Nawth TX is getting better!  Nice running for you today!   I don't want to tackle a new goal.....I did that once in England...accidentally... it gave me a headache...damn goal post!  Blush

Dang, Basya, I don't know where you find the energy to do all that you do each day.  And starting off right in the early morning too!  Someone's been drinking way too much 5-hour energy... Wink

You have been quite active, Dan!  Good luck with the skating!  Congrats on your strength training yesterday and good luck with your miles and workout today!

Damaris is going on vacation and didn't tell me? So we will be Damaris-less for a while?   Cry  Wink

Although my pace today was a tad bit slower overall (6:30 average)  OK, this made me spit out my root beer., lol.  I can only do that pace in my dreams!  And even in my dreams, I still end up falling down, lol.   Nice running, LRB!

and thinking about making some huevos rancheros for breakfast.  Followed by a Pepto-Bismol chaser.  Wink  Good luck with those weeds, outoftheblue.  Weeding counts as x-training!

Good luck with your miles, Lily!  Sorry about the cable, hope it gets resolved quickly for you.  What kind of cable shows does Canada get anyway?  Dudley Do-Right...the Alan Thicke Show...How To Speak English Without Ending Every Sentence With "Eh"...   Wink

I'm thinking about 5 fartleky miles later.  April, maybe you should take some of OutOfTheBlue's Pepto before your run. Wink

Someone brought in red velvet cupcakes today.  SCORE.  Enjoy, Phil!  Am I the only one here that actually does not like cupcakes?  I just find them...annoying...too much 'work' to eat them, lol.  First you have to unwrap the little paper around them...then they crumble all over the place when you eat them, so you have post-cupcake cleanup.....and then, post-eating, certain types of frosting leaves your lips weird colors...like you're in the beginning preparations for going to a Zombie party...  Joking

Glad you got your run in before the pouring rain, Bill!  Have a good weight training session!

Nice running, Ric!

FreeSoul, sorry about your sucky weather too!  See my note to DaveP.  Nice and sunny down here!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Now THAT is a guy who has earned himself a 9-hour marathon!

DaveP, you are not far from wrong, lol.  I have done one marathon, Honolulu 2000.  I can't really say I RAN it, but I did complete it..in 6 hours and 47 minutes.  I was on track for a 4-hour something marathon and then at Mile 16 I had a vertigo episode.  Every time I tried to run after that I got really dizzy, with the world spinning around.  But I was okay walking.  I didn't come umpteen-thousand miles to give up now.  So I walked in the last 9.7 miles.  Then, with a half mile to go I saw the finish banner and said I am running to the finish.  As I started off, my friend, Karen, who was with me the whole way, said "Scott, you do realize it's the 2nd banner that's the finish line, right?"  What? Shocked  Oh well.  I managed a shuffling little run-thing for that last part and crossed the finish line.   A very pathetic marathon by any standards, but at least I got it done.

And I've never had the desire to do another one, even though Karen always says 'marathons are addictive!"  Maybe to her, lol, not to me.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

10.56 miles total, with 6x800s (3:02, 3:02, 3:02, 2:59, 2:57, 2:55).  Rest was a 200m jog.  I don't feel like I was dogging it on the first three, and my pace was actually reading 5:50, so I'm not sure why they were slower.  I guess that's just reasonable Garmin error.  I did put a little more effort into the last 3 though just to make sure they were under 3:00.

The big thing is, I managed to complete the run and the wheels are still on!  Actually, my feet felt pretty darn good.  I was very tempted to skip icing, but my feet are in the bucket as I type.  Maybe if they're feeling good after this week I'll give up the icing, but since it seems to be working I'll keep at it.

Off to read what the rest of you have been up to!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Scotty, you are such an inspiration. There are so many other people who would just say "aw screw it" and stop doing ANYTHING. Not you. You're incredible. Smile

5 fartleky miles done in the rain. Well, I started when the heavy rain had finally stopped - it wasn't really doing anything. I wasn't really feeling the run until the beginning of mile 3, when it actually started lightly raining again. It just made me feel ALIVE, ya know? My run turned around at that point and I really enjoyed the rest of it. I'm glad I wore my "retired" running shoes, because I felt too lazy to run around the puddles that I just stomped right through them like a five-year-old.

I swear I'm the only one on here that takes NO pleasure from running in the rain.  Something must be run with me.  Fartleky made me laugh...I'm about to make some garlicky chicken.

Scotty...It sounds like you have no shortage of inspirational folks around you to keep you going...which, considering that injury list, is probably a good thing!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Starts on city streets, goes into a park (more trees) then down to a jogging path down by the water (no trees or buildings) and back to the streets. While there are a lot of buildings on the city streets, nothing is very tall as it is a very residential area (most everything is 2-4 stories, tops). I run some version of this route during all my runs during weekdays and never had an issue.

PS I have the FR10

I just have a 110 (fairly similar to the newer 10), and I sometimes have problems with the first mile.  It'll tick it off properly about 3/5 times.  However, since I know exactly where all the mile splits are on my route, I just create a split at the first mile, and then it's good from from there.  It seems to do better the longer I've had the satellite on before I begin.

Mmmmm...beer

7.4 miles @ 8:00/mile done, with a lil rain to cool me down, 66* out today. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

B-Plus

Wow Scotty, you really are a warrior. Good for you to keep pushing forward.

The rain showers finished just in time for my run.

Docket_Rocket

I don't run in the rain either, so it's not only you.

I swear I'm the only one on here that takes NO pleasure from running in the rain.  Something must be run with me.  Fartleky made me laugh...I'm about to make some garlicky chicken.

Scotty...It sounds like you have no shortage of inspirational folks around you to keep you going...which, considering that injury list, is probably a good thing!

Damaris

Fundraising Page