Beginners and Beyond

Terrific TUESDAILIES (Read 53 times)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I don't run in the rain either, so it's not only you.

Great, now I'm going to be singing "Only You" all night.  There's a manly song.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

LRB

I don't run in the rain either, so it's not only you.

Me neither, because I am made from sugar.  Joking

SIAR, those splits look okay to me!

Scott T, we will call you M*A*S*H!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

LRB...Thanks...yours looked good too.  It's harder to hit the 800 splits even on after running a faster, shorter interval like you were doing IMO.  What'd you do for your recoveries?  Sugar, spice, and everything nice...right?

Luke79

4.65 mile tempo sandwich.  1 mile in the middle @ 7:49.  I'm still trying to get some miles in at my goal 5k pace, which is 7:44, but I can't quite nail it.  Close enough still does the trick.  I'm trying to get the feel for the pace so I can hopefully hold it fairly well in the race.  I also want to get a good feel for if I can sustain 7:44 for 3.1 miles.  I think it should be fine by race day (May 4th).

I was wishing I didn't have my shirt bout half way through the run, and it was only like 65°.  It's going to be a high of 76 by Friday, so it's about to be ON with the naked chest, fat belly running.  AWW YEAH!

LRB

LRB...Thanks...yours looked good too.  It's harder to hit the 800 splits even on after running a faster, shorter interval like you were doing IMO.  What'd you do for your recoveries?  Sugar, spice, and everything nice...right?

A 200 recovery after the first 200, then a 400 recovery before and after the 800, all run around an 8:46ish.  Previously, my recoveries were high 9:00's to even a 10:00 minute pace sometimes so that was really huge for me.

Luke, you have plenty of time my man, and it's not necessary to run your goal pace for a full 3.1 miles in training.  I like what you are doing with your intensity though!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

LRB...cool...I was just curious because I haven't done blend intervals like that. My recoveries are more like a trot, about 11:15 pace for the 200. If I can find the article that talks about how the recovery pace changes the dynamics of the workout I'll post it...interesting stuff in relation to lactate and vo2 max, etc.

Luke...nice run. I can't wait to lose the shirt. You're a good way out from your race, so that mile split is a positive sign.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Hey kids. busy busy day. At the airport now waiting on connection. I did do 10.2 this am, work doc appt and now flights.

Marjorie

Luke79

A 200 recovery after the first 200, then a 400 recovery before and after the 800, all run around an 8:46ish.  Previously, my recoveries were high 9:00's to even a 10:00 minute pace sometimes so that was really huge for me.

Luke, you have plenty of time my man, and it's not necessary to run your goal pace for a full 3.1 miles in training.  I like what you are doing with your intensity though!

I plan on taking my 5k pace sections up to 2 miles by race time.  I would really like to be closer to 7:30, but I don't know if my lungs will allow it...we'll see.  Running my first half at a tough effort really reset in my mind what "hard" is.  I realized how much I've really been dogging it.

B-Plus

Speaking of rain, should I tape up my bloody nips before jumping in the shower? I haven't had to deal with this in so long I can't remember the correct treatment. Is it gonna sting like a mofo wen I shower?

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

'Sup, runners of the daily species?

4 miles this evening after work, easy 9:29 pace. Nice, comfortable 55 degrees and clear. I'll take it!

Calves were fine at the start, but they started barking a bit around mile 2.5 or so. But they're fine now. I little ibuprophen and careful application of the stick is helping, I'm sure.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Hip Redux

Speaking of rain, should I tape up my bloody nips before jumping in the shower? I haven't had to deal with this in so long I can't remember the correct treatment. Is it gonna sting like a mofo wen I shower?

Oh, it'll sting.

Maybe some vaseline?

Mattchiro

Happy to be here.

First run in about a week; still coming off nasty sinusitis and other crap.  I have a half this weekend and today's 6 miler was a litmus test.  I was floating along fine until the local cross country team passed me.  I tipped my cap and marveled at their speedy sleekness until I didn't. I decided to see if I could keep up with them.  Totally not a good idea.  I faked it with them for about a half mile and then I ducked down a side street.  Those kids are freaking fast .

Half PR:  1:34 (August, 2012)

Marathon PR:  3:45 (October, 2012)

Next race:  ???

Next Marathon:  2015???

LRB

When the soap comes out, yes.  That's called the chafe test!

BruceD555

VO2mx run done with 9.1 miles total. I did 3 easy miles to warm up then 5x600s (2:19, 2:21, 2:21, 2:22, 2:21) and then 3 more miles to cool down. This was a fabulous run at the indoor track and I had actually planned to hit about 6:45 pace on the 600s but running just felt fluid and it was easy to hit the faster pace.

On another note I used to like running in the rain ... now, not so much. I gotta grab some chow but I'll be back in a bit to catch up with personals.

Train smart ... race smarter.

LRB

I plan on taking my 5k pace sections up to 2 miles by race time.  I would really like to be closer to 7:30, but I don't know if my lungs will allow it...we'll see.  Running my first half at a tough effort really reset in my mind what "hard" is.  I realized how much I've really been dogging it.

A good way to work on your 5k goal pace is to run it in increments on the track i.e. 200, 400, 800, 1000's etc.

5 X 1000's at 6 seconds slower than 5k goal pace is a popular workout.  A 7:44 mile would be around 4:48 per 1000.  Six seconds slower would be 4:42.

You could also convert the meters to miles and run them on the road if there is no track.