Beginners and Beyond

Is it Friday for anyone else Thursday Penguins? (Read 31 times)

SheCan

Morning Penguin friends!

Jblack-- yay@ 4 day Easter weekend with a race!  Sounds perfect!  I think it was on the facebook thread that I seen your "now" pic...Omg, you're quite thin!  Awesome job on the weight loss.

Gustav-- Big grin thanks!  I guess I was kinda braggy, but I was excited!

Docket, so happy Trixie is doing so well.  She's just like us, can't be 100% right away no matter how much we want it.

Mitch- thank you!  Good luck on your run tonight.

Dave-- when you say you had 10 fast miles, we know for sure they were fast.  Glad you're feeling so wonderful!

N-Bug-- you could see if you can map out your trail run on mapmyride, and when you save it you can have the elevation profile and summary.

Ginny- hope you find some shoes you like  that fit well.  I hate when i have a favorite product and they stop stocking it or making it.

I did an easy 6-1/2 today, and felt pretty good.  Loving the warm weather (so far!)

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, I had Steph's chicken pot pie for lunch, and it was awesome!  I'm the point person in my department for applications for some state money, and the deadline is tomorrow.  So I have been spending most of my week grinding all the pieces into the right format, making sure I have all the info I need, getting approval from the committee, etc.  I will be so glad to send it all in tomorrow!!

Which means I'd better get back to it, or else I won't be able to send it in tomorrow, now will I?  Roll eyes

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

tracilynn

Jimmy, congrats on sub 200 again. Weight loss is kind of a 2steps forward 1 step back kind of thing.

Damaris, so glad the kitty is doing well.

Cheri, Im about to go find your RR

Hopes, chicken pot pie sounds really good.   Is it hard to make?  What do you use as the crust?

Ginny, I have some 2170s too but lots of people did not like them.  I think they were replaced with 2000s.  You should look into saucony pro guides.  They are similar to the 2170s same level of stability etc.  I think i like them better than the 2170s.  I use my 2170s for trails

Hello to vance, bin, mitch, dave and whoever else I missed.  im on the ipad and i cant go back to the first page.

Im resting today since yesterday was my first run in 9 weeks.  I was a little sore today too.  Will run every other day for awhile until I can build back up (slowly). I did some myrtls this morn.

Its almost Friday!!  The real Friday

~~~~~~~

Traci

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Howdy everyone!  I've been slacking on my personals lately.  I apologize.  I had a great 6.5 mile run last night.  I'm recovering well from the HM, and ran 5 on the treadmill the night before.  Not sure how far I'll run tonight, but will play it by ear.  My 10K is April 13th, but I haven't registered yet.  They have a 5K option as well.  I'm just going to see how I feel during the week leading up to it.  I'll try to get back into a routine again next week.  Races, wedding, work are all getting a little hectic.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Snickers1230

It's Friday for me!!! Smile

Planning on a 3ish mile run tonight.  First run in a week and 2nd since my toe woes so I'm hoping it'll go well.  My toe has been much better today!  Planning on using my off day tomorrow to go visit my mom, sister, and nephews.

Damaris, so glad Trixie is acting like herself!

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

Docket_Rocket

It is delicious!  With Lipton soup!  I even did it vegetarian (I had to improvise on certain things) and it was delicious.

Jimmy, congrats on sub 200 again. Weight loss is kind of a 2steps forward 1 step back kind of thing.

Damaris, so glad the kitty is doing well.

Cheri, Im about to go find your RR

Hopes, chicken pot pie sounds really good.   Is it hard to make?  What do you use as the crust?

Ginny, I have some 2170s too but lots of people did not like them.  I think they were replaced with 2000s.  You should look into saucony pro guides.  They are similar to the 2170s same level of stability etc.  I think i like them better than the 2170s.  I use my 2170s for trails

Hello to vance, bin, mitch, dave and whoever else I missed.  im on the ipad and i cant go back to the first page.

Im resting today since yesterday was my first run in 9 weeks.  I was a little sore today too.  Will run every other day for awhile until I can build back up (slowly). I did some myrtls this morn.

Its almost Friday!!  The real Friday

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Margo, hope your lunch and tour went well!  Good luck with the hilly 5 miles later!

A 1/2 mile is a pretty nice loop, Bin.  Beats that 1/4 mile loop most tracks have.  For me, a longer loop makes me feel mentally that I'm not going around in circles so much, lol.  On the track here at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, it is laid out in such a way that you can choose to do either a 1/2 mile loop or a full-mile loop, very nice!

Enjoy your walk, HsM, hope your knee behaves!  Just what is a 'maundy' anyway?

Scotty - hope you find a quiet place to run.  Oh, Ginny, I never look for a quiet place to run.  I try to find places to run where there are lots of Great Legs around that I can see...you know, to help keep me motivated...      Wink    Wow, 600 miles on your running shoes?  I get about 300 or so from mine...of course, I am a fat guy, so I probably CRUSH my shoes a lot more than you do yours.  Good luck in finding the shoes you want!

Congrats on the 6 miles, She Can!   Glad the warm weather is out for you...so the Great Legs are free now?  Hallelujah!

Traci!  Welcome back!  Congrats on getting to running again.  Yeah, don't push it, come back smartly.

You are getting some nice runs in, Awood.   I would not worry about the 10K, I think you are going to do great.   I got 'talked into' doing a 10K on April 20th.  I have not done a 10K in like, FOREVER, lol.  I'll probably come in dead last, but what the heck.  My friend, Sally, who is one of the Race Directors, told me "This is a club run"  - I am a member of the San Antonio Roadrunners - 'and one of our biggest fundraisers for the year, so you better show!"  I said, yeah, but I haven't done a 10K in almost a year.  She said "What was your last training run?"  I said nearly 5 miles.  She said "Well,hell, Scott, you can crawl the last mile if you can run 5 already.  And it's not like you RACE, anyway, taking all those photos.  Besides, it is FREE entry for you, so be there!"    lol.  She is right, I don't really race my events....and I do get free entry.  Our club has this 'volunteer incentive' program where, if you are a volunteer for any club race, then you get a 'free entry card" that is good up to one year for any of the other club's races.  Nice!  So this April I will actually be doing 2 races FREE, since I volunteered previously for a couple of the other club races.   And if I end up being dead last in the 10K, so be it.  What the heck, it's all about fun for me these days, not time anymore.  Big grin

Hope your toes behave, Jackie!  Have a safe trip and fun visit with your relatives!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Here is Steph's (aka Chemgrad, for those who remember) potpie recipe.  I've never made it, and somehow DH always has this leftover pot of broth, but anyway, here you go!

Chicken Potpie Recipe for those who asked Smile

4-5 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
                  1 pkg. Lipton Dry Chicken Noodle Soup Mix
                  1 lg can of cream of chicken soup
                  Chicken Broth
                  1 lb Frozen Mixed Vegetables
                  2 Deep Dish Frozen Pie Crusts
                  1 Box Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crusts

Boil Chicken in broth. Save broth. Cool chicken and cut into small pieces. Add frozen vegetables and dry soup mix to the broth. Bring Mixture to a boil and then turn down to simmer until vegetables are tender. Stir in Cream of Chicken soup and then add cut up chicken. Spoon mixture into 2 deep dish pie crusts. Cover the tops with refrigerated crusts and seal egdes with a fork. Pierce the top of the crusts 4 or 5 times with a fork. Bake at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until the top of the crusts are lightly browned.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Oh, and this makes two pies.  We used to freeze one, until we discovered that I am quite capable of eating 1/4 pie in a single sitting, and quite happy to dispose of leftovers as long as there are any.  Blush

Singer who runs a smidge

Scotty, here's more than you ever wanted to know about Maundy Thursday, from Wikipedia!  For us Presbyterians, it's a regular church service, but you only talk about the events through the crucifixion of Jesus, not the resurrection (because that comes on Easter).  Then you douse all the lights except one candle on the altar and everybody leaves quietly, pondering.

Most scholars agree that the English word Maundy in that name for the day is derived through Middle English and Old French mandé, from the Latin mandatum, the first word of the phrase "Mandatum novum do vobis ut diligatis invicem sicut dilexi vos" ("A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you"), the statement by Jesus in the Gospel of John 13:34 by which Jesus explained to the Apostles the significance of his action of washing their feet. The phrase is used as the antiphon sung during the "Mandatum" ceremony of the washing of the feet, which may be held during Mass or at another time as a separate event, during which a priest or bishop (representing Christ) ceremonially washes the feet of others, typically 12 persons chosen as a cross-section of the community.

Others theorize that the English name "Maundy Thursday" arose from "maundsor baskets" or "maundy purses" of alms which the king of England distributed to certain poor at Whitehall before attending Mass on that day. Thus, "maund" is connected to the Latin mendicare, and French mendier, to beg.[36][37] A source from the Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod likewise states that, if the name was derived from the Latin mandatum, we would call the day Mandy Thursday, or Mandate Thursday, or even Mandatum Thursday; and that the term "Maundy" comes in fact from the Latin mendicare, Old French mendier, and English maund, which as a verb means to beg and as a noun refers to a small basket held out by maunders as they maunded.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

I just did a nice 7 miles with a 5 mile push. The average pace for the five was about 7:30. NO Achilles pain!! I might do an easy run tomorrow and for sure 11 on Saturday. DD has another track meet on Saturday so I am going out to run EARLY (Scottie's favorite time of day).  I am now on vacation until April 8th. Both DDs requested I make my Paleo cookies so I just got back from Trader Joe's with the stuff. DS is still home and we are going out to lunch with my dad. It should be a good day. You can't ask for better weather....

JBJ: Well done, son!!

Snickers1230

Nice run!

Hi Pens...

I just did a nice 7 miles with a 5 mile push. The average pace for the five was about 7:30. NO Achilles pain!! I might do an easy run tomorrow and for sure 11 on Saturday. DD has another track meet on Saturday so I am going out to run EARLY (Scottie's favorite time of day).  I am now on vacation until April 8th. Both DDs requested I make my Paleo cookies so I just got back from Trader Joe's with the stuff. DS is still home and we are going out to lunch with my dad. It should be a good day. You can't ask for better weather....

JBJ: Well done, son!!

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

GinnyinPA

I ended up with the Brooks Adrenaline.  They only had 3 or 4 wide shoes and the Brooks fit the best.  Hopefully they'll work as well as my Asics.  Tomorrow I'll test them on the road.  We stopped on the way home and took our dog for a short hike on the AT and visited a Mystery bookstore in Mechanicsburg - lots of good used books.  All in all, a very good day.  

Jack enjoy your days off.  What are in your Paleo cookies?

Cherie - isn't it always warm weather where you live?  I wish we'd get some.  I'm so tired of winter.  I did see my first daffodils in bloom today.  Still no sign of leaves on the trees yet - not even buds.

Traci - slow and easy on the comeback.  After my injury, I tried to run as soon as the pain stopped, but

did too much too soon.  I ended up having to rest another two months.  It was more frustrating in some ways than the initial injury.

Awood - is P3 running the 10k with you?

Snickers - hope the run went well.

hog4life

5.22 miles in the sunshine, really nice.

Ginny, I wear the Brooks Adrenalines and love them.

Dad on the run.

We finished week 3 today. I'm hoping they start posting on here soon. I keep telling them too, lol.

They are also going to start doing some other workouts with us too. We are doing abs and arms tomorrow. Laying off the legs until after my race Saturday, lol.

Mitch - I will have your race packet tomorrow. We are going to Fleet Feet as soon as I get up tomorrow. Do you still think you are going to make it? Also, are you still going to be able to come eat with us?

Chasing the sub 20 5K.